Wrestling Draft - NFL Style

In honor of the NFL draft, what would be the "draft order" for the outgoing seniors in college? I'll start:

1. A. Brooks

2. V. Arujau  

3. D. Carr

4. A. Gomez

5. T. Hidlay

6. S. Griffith

7. M. Lewis

8. D. Fix

9. R. Woods

10. L. Davidson

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Are you drafting for folkstyle or freestyle (which is the only post-graduate wrestling available)?

Greco is not available post-graduate?

• Brain 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 hour ago, Dogbone said:

In honor of the NFL draft, what would be the "draft order" for the outgoing seniors in college? I'll start:

1. A. Brooks

2. V. Arujau  

3. D. Carr

4. A. Gomez

5. T. Hidlay

6. S. Griffith

7. M. Lewis

8. D. Fix

9. R. Woods

10. L. Davidson

No way to justify Fix that low.  He's got better FS credentials than every guy but #2 and better folkstyle credentials then all but 1-3 and 7 (and 7 hasn't outplaced him since 2019).  It would be a stretch to put him at 5.  8 is dumb.  

• Bob 1

10 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Mekhi Lewis really gets rated way too high. He often wins by a point or two over average guys. He won a title years ago pre injury and pre Covid but isn’t that guy anymore

Who would you put above him?  He was the lowest NCAA champ. Fix never won it and also wrestles closes matches.  Woods didn't look as good this year as the year before.  I was closer to putting Plott at 10 above Davidson so I can't see moving him up.    Of course its subjective but curious who you would have higher. 

31 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Who would you put above him?  He was the lowest NCAA champ. Fix never won it and also wrestles closes matches.  Woods didn't look as good this year as the year before.  I was closer to putting Plott at 10 above Davidson so I can't see moving him up.    Of course its subjective but curious who you would have higher. 

Mekhi has a Jr World Title which he won reportedly. with almost no FS training.

I think his history of injuries make hos ranking about right

Brooks is your surefire prospect, easy #1.  Generational talent with all of the character traits you want, plus the product on the mat.  A guy you're comfortable handing the keys to your franchise to.  Think Andrew Luck.  

Vito is a bit of a trickier prospect.  The talent is there and at his peak he's up there with the best... but where exactly does he fit in?  Not sure you can build your team around a guy that's not filling a marquee position (weight). 

If you get David Carr you're certainly not disappointed, but you wonder about his peak production.  The floor is high.  He's going to be good.  We know that.  But is he capable of taking the next step (i.e. will he ever make a world team?)?

Gomez is a walking red flag.  You take a guy with his injury history this high in the draft and you're really putting your job on the line as a GM.  Could you get 2 to 3 years of high level production out of him?  Possibly.  Might he be off your roster in 2 years?  Also possible.  

Trent Hidlay is a guy you draft because you know exactly what you're going to get.  He's going to grind.  He's going to be in the mix.  He's going to make  your team better.  He's not going to be an MVP--you know that.  But he's also not going to get you fired.  

Griffith... the production is there, but there are major questions about his ability to translate to the next level, and I also have some questions about his love of the game.  Fair or not, it seemed at times like he was going through the motions this year just waiting to secure his bag.  I think that drops him down the board.  

Lewis--see Gomez description, x2.  His best days might be behind him.  If you can get him low enough in the first round he might be worth taking a flyer, but a top 10 pick is iffy.  

Fix is another guy where you know what you're going to get.  You add him to your roster and you sleep well at night.  He might even make a few pro bowls before it's all said and done.  I think he goes higher based on his floor.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Dogbone said:

Drake Maye just got drafted 3rd after doing jack shit his entire college career.

The draft should be based off of MFS and MGR potential and not their past results.

Also, Plott has another year left.

Also, also, it is Davison (there is only one D in his name and it is at the beginning of it).

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Drake Maye just got drafted 3rd after doing jack shit his entire college career.

The draft should be based off of MFS and MGR potential and not their past results.

Also, Plott has another year left.

Also, also, it is Davison (there is only one D in his name and it is at the beginning of it).

Fair points.