Donnie Vinson named Buffalo head coach

16 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Matt Hill

Matt Hill replaced Tim Flynn when the writing was on the wall at Edinboro.  Edinboro hasn't even posted an updated record book since the end of Hill's first year as head coach (2018-19).

Hill is now 16-53 after six seasons at the helm.

I suspect Vinson is heading down a similar path at a school that has much less history than Edinboro.

image.png.1c1bed96199712ab3aa6dcf23e8384f9.png

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

the edit timeframe expired before I could pull my supporting data.

question for you though.  Wasn't the catalyst for Edinboro situation, the lack of funding and commitment to the program.  I seem to recall Flynn declining interviews for jobs elsewhere until the bitter end when he had no choice. 

compared to Buffalo - are we actually seeing a change in funding or commitment?  Or just a disagreement with the way Stutzman liked to run things?  Also I like Stutzman, but don't see him as a coach on the same level as Flynn. 

To summarize, my understanding was that 1) Buffalo is slightly better funded than Edinboro and that 2) Flynn was better than Stutzman

and so - why should Vinson be headed on the same path as Matt Hill? 

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

To summarize, my understanding was that 1) Buffalo is slightly better funded than Edinboro and that 2) Flynn was better than Stutzman

and so - why should Vinson be headed on the same path as Matt Hill? 

If there is any truth the articles published by the student paper, it appears as though the admin is moving to minimize (if not eliminate) wrestling and Vinson may be the guy to see it through.  I may be wrong, but is smells like Edinboro to me.

• Bob 1

36 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

If there is any truth the articles published by the student paper, it appears as though the admin is moving to minimize (if not eliminate) wrestling and Vinson may be the guy to see it through.  I may be wrong, but is smells like Edinboro to me.

Edinboro had no choice, Big Bruce was Athletic Director and had to make tough decisions.  The school is failing and there were even talks of shuttering the place without a substantial reorg.    Buffalo on the other hand is one of the Flagships of SUNY and has great programs and a Medical College.  They are here to stay.

Edited by Threadkilla
  • Bob 3

1 hour ago, Threadkilla said:

Edinboro had no choice, Big Bruce was Athletic Director and had to make tough decisions.  The school is failing and there were even talks of shuttering the place without a substantial reorg.    Buffalo on the other hand is one of the Flagships of SUNY and has great programs and a Medical College.  They are here to stay.

Have to agree that outside of just athletics these schools are night and day different. For those that aren't aware, UB has an undergrad population over 20k students (about the same as Oklahoma st- not a small school by any standards) Edinboro is right around 3k. UB has a lot to offer academically to Threadkilla's point, multiple campuses and a larger surrounding city/economy. 

While I have heard from some close to Stutzman's regime that the AD is not trustworthy when it comes to this topic, I don't think comparing Vinson coming in to that situation is at all the same.

• Bob 2