Mason Gibson and other 2024 Uncommited Great Recruits Left

With Mason Gibson de-committing from Penn St., what teams are currently after him? All I’ve heard was Rutgers; but surely with his pedigree/resume he should have a lot more people after him. Is he only considering schools near to home or would he consider all his options? Also, what schools are currently recruiting him now? I know he was on his official last week at RU. 

It would be crazy for schools not to go after him and build that connection with Bishop McCort. 

Just now, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

With Mason Gibson de-committing from Penn St., what teams are currently after him? All I’ve heard was Rutgers; but surely with his pedigree/resume he should have a lot more people after him. Is he only considering schools near to home or would he consider all his options? Also, what schools are currently recruiting him now? I know he was on his official last week at RU. 

It would be crazy for schools not to go after him and build that connection with Bishop McCort. 

@Husker_Du do you know if it is a foregone conclusion that Mason Gibson is going to RU? 

I think its a weird and rather odd situation with mason. You have a kid that in middle and early high school that was probably a top10 potentially top 5 recruit for his entire class that has now had a couple semi serious injuries and does not seem to be progressing in his wrestling potentially regressing given his early success. I would venture to guess a lot of that is mental and can be fixed but I would imagine he's looking for a full scholarship and maybe some NIL and I'm not sure how many teams are willing to give that with his current trajectory, not to look too much into a single match on the backside but the kid he lost to for third and fourth at states is going d2.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

I think its a weird and rather odd situation with mason. You have a kid that in middle and early high school that was probably a top10 potentially top 5 recruit for his entire class that has now had a couple semi serious injuries and does not seem to be progressing in his wrestling potentially regressing given his early success. I would venture to guess a lot of that is mental and can be fixed but I would imagine he's looking for a full scholarship and maybe some NIL and I'm not sure how many teams are willing to give that with his current trajectory, not to look too much into a single match on the backside but the kid he lost to for third and fourth at states is going d2.

I understand he was Winning everything years ago but it happens where guys catch up to you.  jmo...Finishing 4th in ANY STATE ( even PA) dropped his stock...Lost to Sophomore Harer 5-0 in Semi..Younger Harer should be someone to follow next couple seasons..His brother a 3x PA Champ signed with Rutgers this year..Rutgers must be excited they might be able to have both brothers in line up in a couple years. Still hope Rutgers can sign Gibson and he can have a Great career

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

I think his results have regressed because he is not now, nor ever been, a super technical wrestler. He won, and still wins, a lot of his matches based on his incredible athleticism. When you're young, and at a lightweight, being extremely powerful/strong/explosive/athletic is more likely to lead to wins than it is when you get older and into bigger weights. My two cents. 

Not saying he's not a technical wrestler. But he's certainly not as technical as you'd expect based on his results.

Edited by Winners Circle
  • Fire 1

i don't know for sure what Mason is doing. I think he visited RU this week. 

all signs point to him going there but who knows.

regardless i'm happy for him. he's a really good kid.

There's not much left on either the 2024 or 2025 Board. Marcus Blaze is the big one left (2025 #3) and it's down to PSU and tOSU. 

• Brain 3

TBD

Unfortunately Dorian is not going to go the traditional route and go to College.  (I'm not bashing him or his family here.  I just wish everyone could see him wrestle.)  He is a unbelievable talent and wrestler, but his family has chosen to go the grappling and mma route.  I'm hoping he may continue with FS for a little while and take the Cejudo route, but I think they are looking for the pay day which I can't blame them and get him competing MMA pretty quickly.  If you have not seem him wrestle before, check out some of his matches.  The kid is legit.  

• Brain 1

17 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i don't know for sure what Mason is doing. I think he visited RU this week. 

all signs point to him going there but who knows.

regardless i'm happy for him. he's a really good kid.

There's not much left on either the 2024 or 2025 Board. Marcus Blaze is the big one left (2025 #3) and it's down to PSU and tOSU. 

I’m surprised that Purdue didn’t make his final 2. But wish the best for those 2 young men! 

Really wish Iowa did better at recruiting. They need to be like tOSU and have a recruiter coordinator. @Husker_Du talk with Morningstar and let’s get this rolling lol

• 2 weeks later...