Asian Championships and OGQ

Asian Championships are 4/11-16 and the OG Qualifier 19-21. Are they running it like our Pan Am Continental where wrestlers might step on the mat and FF just to compete at the qualifier? Also are we expecting to Matt Ramos there?

I assume the A-team members yet to qualify will go to the OG Qualifier and the rest will just go to the Asian championships for seeding points.  I don't know about Matt Ramos.  If he represents an Asian country, then sure.  

8 hours ago, KingOtoguro said:

I assume the A-team members yet to qualify will go to the OG Qualifier and the rest will just go to the Asian championships for seeding points.  I don't know about Matt Ramos.  If he represents an Asian country, then sure.  

While most people know of Matt Ramos from his Pinfell victory over Spencer Lee, his freestyle accolades are mediocre.

If you are familiar where Jake Comacho sits, they have gone back and forth in MFS over the last few years.  Comacho is a fringe T10 guy in the USA, depending on who is competing in the circuit for that year.

One thing Ramos does have going for him is he doesn't mind taking risks.  He could lose to a guy 10-0, but make the proper adjustment the next time and either defend or hit that move that put him down big.

What I mean to say is that if he does compete for the Philippines (which is rumored), then he either might blow everyone out of the water initially and then sink back or do poorly then blow everyone off the water.  He has a high ceiling and low floor compared to someone who is more consistent and disciplined like a Sebastian Rivera.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

While most people know of Matt Ramos from his Pinfell victory over Spencer Lee, his freestyle accolades are mediocre.

If you are familiar where Jake Comacho sits, they have gone back and forth in MFS over the last few years.  Comacho is a fringe T10 guy in the USA, depending on who is competing in the circuit for that year.

One thing Ramos does have going for him is he doesn't mind taking risks.  He could lose to a guy 10-0, but make the proper adjustment the next time and either defend or hit that move that put him down big.

What I mean to say is that if he does compete for the Philippines (which is rumored), then he either might blow everyone out of the water initially and then sink back or do poorly then blow everyone off the water.  He has a high ceiling and low floor compared to someone who is more consistent and disciplined like a Sebastian Rivera.

he feels very austin gomez esque to me, he does have a cadet silver but that was back in 2017 I believe so im not sure how much weight that holds now. I could see him being very good in chest wrap positions which always makes guys tricky I remember mimtch mckee putting up like 12 points on yianni because of his chest wraps.

• 2 weeks later...

Freestyle

57kg
Wanhao ZOU (CHN)
AMAN (IND)
Ahmad JAVAN (IRI)
Khattab AL ANI (IRQ)
Yerassyl MUKHTARULY (KAZ)
Bekzat ALMAZ UULU (KGZ)
Sunggwon KIM (KOR)
Munkh Erdene BATKHUYAG (MGL)
Muhammad BILAL (PAK)
Alvin LOBREGUITO (PHI)
Ali ABURUMAILA (PLE)
Chong Song HAN (PRK)
Gayan KATHURANGANA (SRI)
Aiaal BELOLYUBSKII (TJK)
Kabe MATJANOV (TKM)
Gulomjon ABDULLAEV (UZB)

65kg
Alibeg ALIBEGOV (BRN)
Shaohua YUAN (CHN)
SUJEET (IND)
Mohammed KAREEM (IRQ)
Kotaro KIYOOKA (JPN)
Maiis ALIYEV (KAZ)
Ernazar AKMATALIEV (KGZ)
Junsik YUN (KOR)
Tsogbadrakh TSEVEENSUREN (MGL)
Muhammad ABDULLAH (PAK)
Abdullah ASSAF (PLE)
Kwang Jin KIM (PRK)
Divoshan CHARLES FERNANDO (SRI)
Abdulmazhid KUDIEV (TJK)
Jelaletdin SEYIDOV (TKM)
Umidjon JALOLOV (UZB)
Ibrahim GUZAN (YEM)

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Posted (edited)

Saw that Sakurai lost in the 57kg final. When was the last time she dropped an international match?

It looked also like Ozaki cruised through the tournament. IIRC @CA_Wrestler said she bumped up a couple of weights to challenge herself? Pretty impressive.

Edited by CHROMEBIRD

Wrestling all Freestyle tomorrow morning so we'll know who all is heading our way for last chance. If Tseveensuren doesn't qualify for Mongolia I wonder if they will send Ochir to Last Chance. (Scary opponent either way) 

For anyone that cares the semis are as follows (for the 2 weights we care about) 
57kg: Uulu vs Batkhuyag  
Abdullaev vs Aman
(Uulu snuck by Zou 3-2)

65kg: Kiyooka vs Yuan
Akmataliev vs Kim 
(Kiyooka got by Kudiev 10-7)
(Looks like Sujeet Sujeet didnt wrestle)
(Mongolia lost to Akmataliev so we may see Ochir at last chance) 

• Brain 1

Note: I say "May see Ochir" because I think they'd have a secondary wrestle-off or just send him after Tseveensuren failed to get it done, but maybe not, maybe  Tseveensuren is the rep and thats that. 
Either way, tough opponent for USA wrestling + India + the Euro stragglers.... + Kudiev, it's going to be a tough path. 

On 4/15/2024 at 1:47 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

Saw that Sakurai lost in the 57kg final. When was the last time she dropped an international match?

It looked also like Ozaki cruised through the tournament. IIRC @CA_Wrestler said she bumped up a couple of weights to challenge herself? Pretty impressive.

Tsugumi Sakurai has never lost internationally before the Asian Championships this year.

Yep, Ozaki bumped up from 62kg.

• Bob 1