Did Michigan Have A Good Season?

Michigan went out and completely remade their lineup with transfers.  The reason was obvious--they had a weak squad due to some recruiting misses and lack of development.  

Griffith, Davison and Gomez all had excellent tournies.  So did Ragusin but he was the only "homegrown" wrestler to do so.  Former AA and transfer Deaugustino had a pedestrian NCAA's.  Two Time AA's Amine and Lewan failed to place.  True frosh Lemley, who'd climbed the rankings after embarrassing Woods, also dnp'd.  

On paper, UM was arguably the second best team in the country.  They finished 3rd with a team of hired guns.  

Same can be said of Iowa.  Four placers....5th place...three placers were transfers.

Also Worth noting--PSU transfers Nagao and Truax were not better wrestlers in State College than their previous schools.  In fact, Nagao was flat out better at Minny.

Any thoughts?

• Bob 1

Michigan brought home a team trophy from Kansas City.. They were runner-up at the Big Ten tournament. They also beat Iowa decisively at their dual. 

Although some of their duals did not go as well, I would say overall it was a very successful season.

• Bob 3

Mediocre season, good post-season, which is all anybody cares about.

Davison, Gomez, and Griffith all placed above where people would likely have expected them to place.  

They brought home the meat when it counted, and they proved to ALL the super-seniors around the country that they are the best environment for a 1-year plug and play.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1
  • Pirate 1

1 hour ago, macwoodfleet said:

Truax was very good down the stretch, and if Plott doesn't try to break his leg in half, he's probably the NCAA runner up

Truax tore up his knee in the first 30 seconds of the match , his mom was talking about it on twitter 

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, macwoodfleet said:

Truax was very good down the stretch, and if Plott doesn't try to break his leg in half, he's probably the NCAA runner up

Man, this, f*cking this, I was yelling at my computer watching that match, Plott pulling out the Deakin special right in front of the refs and nobody doing a damn thing about it was an extra special level of horseshit. 

• Bob 1

Man, this, f*cking this, I was yelling at my computer watching that match, Plott pulling out the Deakin special right in front of the refs and nobody doing a damn thing about it was an extra special level of horseshit. 

Deakin special?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Deakin special?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the heel wrap ankle/leg twisting move that Plott used on Truax to attack his knee/break his leg.

I first saw Ryan Deakin use it against Jacori Teemer, go to the 6:10 mark to see him just flat out attack teemer's knee when he's in on a single and doesn't actually feel like dealing with teemer's athleticism and counters anymore.

Plott did the same piece of sh*t move.  In his match with Truax, if you go to the 1:30 mark of the first period, you see him do the same thing, wrap the heel, pull the foot to his body, hip heist under and turn his chest to the sky.  It's effectively recreating a heel hook from a single leg finish, it's one of the dirtiest moves you can do, immediate acl surgery almost guaranteed.  It just grenades all the cartilage and ligaments all over the knee.

6 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

You can't really blame Plott though, that's on the ref. 

• Poopy 1

i would say Michigan had a good season.  That being said, it would appear in this NIL era, Michigan has a strategy of bringing in transfers each year to make their program competitive.  As far was getting team trophies, they've got 2 in the past 3 years, this strategy appears to be working.  But if they want to contend to with PSU, they will have to start developing their own guys. 

• Bob 1

My topic name was a poor choice.  I agree that Michigan had a good season.  Instead I should have asked if they're doing a good job developing talent.  This season it seemed several of their wrestlers went backwards.  But when two transfers make the NCAA finals, it's easy to overlook.

Michigan had a very good season. They took second at Big Tens and third at NCAAs, their second trophy in two years. Dual season was inconsistent.

Ragusin and Bullock had their best seasons, as did two of their transfers, Gomez and Davison had outstanding NCAA tournaments with their best career finishes. Griffith had an outstanding tournament after a bit of a dip last season. Lemley progressed all season then had a tough NCAAs as a true freshman.

Lewan and Amine had tough seasons. Lewan’s style caught up with him, same with Amine to a lesser extent. Hopefully he can bounce back next year.

So I think they’re a lot most teams. Some guys make jumps, some falter, etc.

• Bob 2