Figueroa lost to Maximo Renteria this year

15 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

it sounds like in addition to injuries Figs was dealing with what we might call "off the mat" issues earlier this year. In one of his interviews during the tourney or maybe after winning he mentioned "going to rehab," not rehabbing an injury but "going to" rehab. I know from personal experience this usually means something very specific. Anyway, he's a tremendous talent and I have no idea why he didn't get at least some passing OW love (not saying he should've won it). Rooting hard for this kid!

Are you sure you heard that right? Just before Pac-12s Figs mentioned getting through rehab or something similar, but he was talking specifically about injuries.

6 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Are you sure you heard that right? Just before Pac-12s Figs mentioned getting through rehab or something similar, but he was talking specifically about injuries.

I may very well be mistaken

15 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Nothing against Maximo Renteria, he’s a D1 wrestler which is more than the overwhelming majority of wrestlers can say.  But he has a career record against D1 opponents of 9-19.

Has anyone had a worse in season loss during the year they won a national title (not counting injury defaults)?

Just goes to show that anything can happen during the season and you can still win a national title.  Oh and 125 gonna 125

To be fair to Maximo he did go 6-0 this year (4-0 against D1 competition). He apparently isn't the same guy he was last year when he went 4-14. That stated guys wax and wane over the course of the season, hopefully peaking at the end of the season. Richie improved over the course of the season as well, obviously. I know there's no way I'd have picked him to win 125 and for Ramos to not place at all!

15 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

To be fair to Maximo he did go 6-0 this year (4-0 against D1 competition). He apparently isn't the same guy he was last year when he went 4-14. That stated guys wax and wane over the course of the season, hopefully peaking at the end of the season. Richie improved over the course of the season as well, obviously. I know there's no way I'd have picked him to win 125 and for Ramos to not place at all!

I don’t recall seeing so many tough 125lbers in one tournament in a long time - and they’re all coming back. 125 is gonna be fun again next season. 

I think it’s worth mentioning that Maximo was thrown into the fire wrestling a big ten schedule wrestling Lee, Ramos, McKee, DeAugustino, Barnett, Cronin, etc. rather than a typical D1 schedule where he could have possibly finished something like 9-9 instead of 4-14, all those back to back losses are gonna kill some confidence forsure, and like someone else mentioned Maximo and figs have lots of history and both come from the Fresno area, they wrestled multiple times growing up as such can be seen in Flos post today about Figs winning Reno Worlds, guess who he was wrestling in that video 

2 hours ago, Rassling said:

I don’t recall seeing so many tough 125lbers in one tournament in a long time - and they’re all coming back. 125 is gonna be fun again next season. 

Yeah, it was pretty crazy. Ramos not making the podium is the biggest surprise at 125 for me, even more surprising than the #1 seed not making the podium. 

• Brain 1

5 hours ago, Rassling said:

Not quite all, although looks like Barnett is the only AA with no more eligibility.  Plus some other guys like McKee, Kaylor, DeAugustino and Palmer.

Just hoping Surtin doesn't do another Surtin, "for certain!"  Have no clue what his end season problem was, but he wrestled so many of these guys to the wire and was a yo yo in the rankings also.  I'm pulling for him to finish strong next year but 125 is going to be a grinder.

29 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Not quite all, although looks like Barnett is the only AA with no more eligibility.  Plus some other guys like McKee, Kaylor, DeAugustino and Palmer.

I should have been more clear - I meant the upper echelon of the weight class not every single wrestler. 

19 hours ago, PencilNeck said:

Maximo is a very good wrestler. Last year I remember watching him lose 2-3 to Ramos and then pin (not called by the ref though) DeAugustino in consecutive weeks. 

as a fan, was sorry to see him leave the orange and blue, but hope he has big success at Oregon State. 

Good post! My sentiments exactly. Maximo also suffered an injury that held him back a little. One of his three Cali state championship final wins was against Aaron Nagao. He didn't wrestle many big out-of-state tournaments in high school, but he did beat Dylan Ragusin and a Missouri 4xer.

If he builds up his confidence and focus, he will be very good. The Big Ten that year at 125 was not a great place for a young wrestler to build up his confidence (Spencer Lee, Patrick McKee, Eric Barnett, Matt Ramos, Michael DeAugustino, Liam Cronin, etc.). 

• Bob 1

36 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Rosholt's 3 titles defy the laws of quantum physics 

I remember how that guy would lose several matches a year, I don't think he ever got higher than a #4 seed (but I could be wrong!!). 

• Brain 1

8 hours ago, Rassling said:

The last time Luke Stanich will have ever weighed 125 was Thursday morning at NCAA.  Very likely to RS next year and come back as a 141.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rassling said:

I should have been more clear - I meant the upper echelon of the weight class not every single wrestler. 

Well the guys I listed do have 7 AA finishes between them.   Of course that only one of them AA’ed this year is further proof of the depth of the weight

Edited by 1032004

17 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well the guys I listed do have 7 AA finishes between them.   Of course that only one of them AA’ed this year is further proof of the depth of the weight

And have wins over the top echelon of wrestlers....which would probably change every time you wrestle that bracket. 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐