The Crow buffet

1 minute ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

I was genuinely worried Vito would get dinged with an unsportsmanlike when he was justifiably upset and yelling after he had a second takedown waved off. It always felt like the refs were helping Fix.. 

Yo they were.  Every single match he had that was close they gave him the benefit of the doubt.  If he has a ref who is more neutral, or calls things in his opponent's favor, he's wrestling in the blood round.  He got called for stalling 1/10th of the time that the collective "average wrestler" in the tournament did.  Daton Fix was a throwback to the stall-fest wrestlers of the mid to late 00's this whole tournament.  

It's to the point where I think the NCAA or ESPN sat them down and said "hey, we like ratings, you get paid for this tournament bc of ratings, Oklahoma state drives ratings.  You make sure a few orange singlets get far in this tournament."

I was wrong on my hot take of Haines not making the finals.

I also thought Starocci was mostly healthy but apparently not.  Honestly him raising the hand of the trainer might’ve been one of the cooler moments of the tournament

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I thought Bartlett would be more clutch than he was,

Things I said to myself and got shown up on during the tournament:

I definitely didn't give Davison nearly the credit he deserved.   I had him likely being 7/8 best 5/6.

I assumed O'Toole had Carr's number, Carr waaay outperformed what I thought he was capable of.

I mentally discounted the bad habits that led to Braeden Davis's poor performances, obviously that was an error.  

I assumed Jore Volk was done on day 1.

I assumed Kasak was done on day 1.

I gave Wolak no chance to be competitive this tournament.

I assumed Vito was done for the year after EIWA's, and that maybe Vito's run last year was a flash in the pan, that we had already seen the best Vito we would ever see.  Boy was I wrong.  

I assumed Okie State was no longer relevant enough to influence the ENTIRE OFFICIATING POOL...my god was I wrong about that.  Go look at the ref raising Vito's hand after the match.  He does it so quickly and flippantly with almost a look of disdain on his face.  Probably bc Vito just about told him to go "f" himself after the ref messed up ANOTHER takedown situation on the edge.  

I thought that the good will and respect I had for the Okie State program and the new coaching staff would continue through the tournament, it did not....

Great call on Vito. I had written him off and didn't expect him to beat Crookham. And he just went off again.

I criticized Starocci for his gangsta post on the platform formerly known as Twitter, so I was surprised, and a little impressed, when he singled out his PSU trainer on national television to credit him for being able to recover enough to win a national championship.  I'm sure there are plenty of trainers out there who do a great job every day for very little public recognition.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, lightweight said:

I criticized Starocci for his gangsta post on the platform formerly known as Twitter, so I was surprised, and a little impressed, when he singled out his PSU trainer on national television to credit him for being able to recover enough to win a national championship.  I'm sure there are plenty of trainers out there who do a great job every day for very little public recognition.  

I was also surprised how likeable Carter was on the mic after his semis and finals. The twitter stuff is... lame to me. 

• Fire 1

I thought Figs would wrestle one match the way he wrestled Spratley. Every round I would wait for that match, and every round it wouldn't come. Instead of seeing that he was on, I figured he would wrestle that match in the finals. I was wrong.

• Fire 1