Mizzou and illini

1 hour ago, cowcards said:

Byrd got injured and can have up to 2 years left. 

Any word on what’s up with… almost the entire rest of the lineup besides Ruth, Cardani, Pucino, and Madrigal?

I knew Byrd was missing the season but then it seems like Illinois had six weights where they made changes in season, and based on records/performance, some of them had to be related to injuries.

Mr. Poeta has what I think is shaping up to be a very solid lineup for next season, but if some of these lineup changes were due to injury, it may throw next year for a loop too.

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Any word on what’s up with… almost the entire rest of the lineup besides Ruth, Cardani, Pucino, and Madrigal?

I knew Byrd was missing the season but then it seems like Illinois had six weights where they made changes in season, and based on records/performance, some of them had to be related to injuries.

Mr. Poeta has what I think is shaping up to be a very solid lineup for next season, but if some of these lineup changes were due to injury, it may throw next year for a loop too.

Luffman got hurt for the year. Webster was redshirted. Not sure about Roberts. 

• Fire 2

This is going to take a while, so you might want to go grab a beer. We'll need a legend to keep track of everything. So here's the legend:

LEGEND

OLYMPIC RED SHIRT

MEDICAL RED SHIRT

INJURY

SURGERY 

REGULAR RED SHIRT

125. CARDANI. He missed last season because of an INJURY that required SURGERY. He has worn a large shoulder brace all this season. 

133.  BYRD/MADRIGAL.  This was a double-whammy. Over the Summer Lucas Byrd was going to qualify for the Olympics in Greco. He was signed up to do so, and he's made age-group teams in the past. My money would've been on him, but he suffered an INJURY to his hand/wrist. I don't know if it required SURGERY but suspect that it did. He's had either padding or a brace on his hand/wrist for months. He had to take a MEDICAL RED SHIRT. Luckily, Tony Madrigal wanted to finish up his eligibility at the U of I. Unfortunately, he suffered a hamstring INJURY pretty early in the season and missed duals. He came back and suffered a re-INJURY of the hamstring. Good news is that he's back and looks great. 

141.  PUCINO. Unknown INJURY or illness kept him out of a couple duals this season. 

149.  WEBSTER. The question was whether he would take his true Freshman redshirt. In the end, the decision was made to take a REGULAR RED SHIRT. The good news is that Kannon and Braeden Scoles showed up at the Zingo Nationals and cradled everybody from the ticket-taker to the referees. 

157.  ROBERTS. A lot happened here. Austin O'Connor became an assistant coach, and wrestled with Joe. He said Joe has what it takes to challenge for the podium. But, Joe had some concussion issues. He had a re-INJURY during the season. On top of that, he suffered an INJURY to his hand, which caused him to miss duals and eventually wear a wrap that looked like an oven mitt. 

165.  LITTLE BRAWNY. He is training for his shot at the Olympics and is wearing an OLYMPIC RED SHIRT. The good news here is that he has apparently become even better at hand-fighting because, hey, you know, hand-fighting is what Greco dudes do. 

184.  CONNELL. Dylan had an INJURY to his foot/ankle early in the season. He then had a re-INJURY to the same foot/ankle at Midlands. The good news: He should now be healthy and have his gas tank back. Only 8 auto-bids at this weight at the Big Ten tournament, so he'll need to kick butt. 

197.  THICC BRAWNY/PETTIGREW. OMG. Where do we even start? The Brawlnagel is on an OLYMPIC RED SHIRT. Isiah Pettigrew was doing well in the lineup and then suffered a knee INJURY. He had SURGERY and came back about a month later. What a BAMF!

285.  LUFFMAN. Big Luuuke had an INJURY that required SURGERY. He will hopefully have a MEDICAL RED SHIRT for this season. If not, he still has eligibility remaining. 

• Fire 6

4 hours ago, stealyphil223 said:

Does anyone know if Whiting lost the spot at the end of the year or is he hurt?  

Smith said this week that he picked Hawks over Whiting because he has multiple wins this year over guys in top 20, including two guys in the top 10 (Salazar and Feldman). Mentioned that Whiting was disappointed, but working in the room toward next year. 

Damn, that's one of those no win/no lose situations.   I trust Smith,  and I think Hawks has a better chance to AA.  Just wish Smith would have made the call earlier. 

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Damn, that's one of those no win/no lose situations.   I trust Smith,  and I think Hawks has a better chance to AA.  Just wish Smith would have made the call earlier. 

Terrible if you ask me. Whiting may not have the big name wins, but he earned the right to be the starter by beating both Hawks and Harmon. Guess wrestle offs don’t matter. Wonder how this looks to recruits thinking about coming to Mizzou? You won the starting job, but at the end of the season that may not matter and we could choose the guy you’ve beaten. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

This is going to take a while, so you might want to go grab a beer. We'll need a legend to keep track of everything. So here's the legend:

wait a minute ... is this a Coors lite kindve of thing or should I get a good beer i can enjoy ... I'll be back

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Terrible if you ask me. Whiting may not have the big name wins, but he earned the right to be the starter by beating both Hawks and Harmon. Guess wrestle offs don’t matter. Wonder how this looks to recruits thinking about coming to Mizzou? You won the starting job, but at the end of the season that may not matter and we could choose the guy you’ve beaten. 

Could it be that they were doing late season wrestle offs outside of the Black and Gold dual? 

3 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

If you've been better against opposing teams then you should go. Wrestle offs are only useful at the beginning of the season.

• Fire 2

6 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

LEGEND

OLYMPIC RED SHIRT

MEDICAL RED SHIRT

INJURY

SURGERY 

REGULAR RED SHIRT

125. CARDANI. He missed last season because of an INJURY that required SURGERY. He has worn a large shoulder brace all this season. 

133.  BYRD/MADRIGAL.  This was a double-whammy. Over the Summer Lucas Byrd was going to qualify for the Olympics in Greco. He was signed up to do so, and he's made age-group teams in the past. My money would've been on him, but he suffered an INJURY to his hand/wrist. I don't know if it required SURGERY but suspect that it did. He's had either padding or a brace on his hand/wrist for months. He had to take a MEDICAL RED SHIRT. Luckily, Tony Madrigal wanted to finish up his eligibility at the U of I. Unfortunately, he suffered a hamstring INJURY pretty early in the season and missed duals. He came back and suffered a re-INJURY of the hamstring. Good news is that he's back and looks great. 

141.  PUCINO. Unknown INJURY or illness kept him out of a couple duals this season. 

149.  WEBSTER. The question was whether he would take his true Freshman redshirt. In the end, the decision was made to take a REGULAR RED SHIRT. The good news is that Kannon and Braeden Scoles showed up at the Zingo Nationals and cradled everybody from the ticket-taker to the referees. 

157.  ROBERTS. A lot happened here. Austin O'Connor became an assistant coach, and wrestled with Joe. He said Joe has what it takes to challenge for the podium. But, Joe had some concussion issues. He had a re-INJURY during the season. On top of that, he suffered an INJURY to his hand, which caused him to miss duals and eventually wear a wrap that looked like an oven mitt. 

165.  LITTLE BRAWNY. He is training for his shot at the Olympics and is wearing an OLYMPIC RED SHIRT. The good news here is that he has apparently become even better at hand-fighting because, hey, you know, hand-fighting is what Greco dudes do. 

184.  CONNELL. Dylan had an INJURY to his foot/ankle early in the season. He then had a re-INJURY to the same foot/ankle at Midlands. The good news: He should now be healthy and have his gas tank back. Only 8 auto-bids at this weight at the Big Ten tournament, so he'll need to kick butt. 

197.  THICC BRAWNY/PETTIGREW. OMG. Where do we even start? The Brawlnagel is on an OLYMPIC RED SHIRT. Isiah Pettigrew was doing well in the lineup and then suffered a knee INJURY. He had SURGERY and came back about a month later. What a BAMF!

285.  LUFFMAN. Big Luuuke had an INJURY that required SURGERY. He will hopefully have a MEDICAL RED SHIRT for this season. If not, he still has eligibility remaining. 

Appreciate the update, why in the world was the legend needed? 

it did help with my short attention span though! 

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Damn, that's one of those no win/no lose situations.   I trust Smith,  and I think Hawks has a better chance to AA.  Just wish Smith would have made the call earlier

Once the Coaching Staff decided to go with Hawks, they could have sent him to a Last Chance Open to earn an Allocation for Big 12's.  Hoping the decision to NOT do this doesn't cost Hawks an NCAA bid ?

15 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Smith has done this a few other times during his tenure at Mizzou.  I agree with Hawks chances of becoming an AA.