Brittney Griner prisoner swap

Nailbender

59 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

I'll watch the video,  but I've been a gun owner my whole life,  so I'm not anti-gun.

I grew up a working class kid in Minnesota,  which meant we grew up around and using guns.  I've owned shotguns and rifles for hunting my entire life, but don't own handguns nor "military weapons."

I've gone through Minnesota's gun safety programs, so I take guns and gun safety seriously.  Too many didn't have the training that I did,  don't even own guns themselves,  and espouse no restrictions on firearms.  That troubles me.

With all of that said,  I'm good with banning certain firearms.  I've gotten by perfectly fine without them and they'd be a good riddance to our society.

I appreciate your decency in talking about this. 

Please don't take offense because I don't intend it (that's a switch eh?) but yes, you are anti-gun. You're just not anti-gun about the guns you like or are comfortable with. Unfortunately, I'm sorry but you don't know much about them or you wouldn't think some of the things you do. As one example, nobody owns "military weapons" at least not without a background check that includes a very long wait, fingerprints and pictures sent to the ATF and several other hoops including an extra fee. Unless by military weapons you mean a 1911 or an M1 Garand. 

I would also venture to guess, that you don't know as much about gun safety as you think you do but I do appreciate that you have some training. It's important and better than many. I too own guns. I also know a lot about them. I also coach highschool trap and am certified to do so. I also have trauma/bleed training. I take firearms very seriously. 

At our state trap meet their are 3-4 thousand kids and young adults shooting 750,000 rounds over 6 days. There are over 150 athletes shooting perpetually over the daylight hours of those 6 days. If guns are the problem, I don't see it and I see a lot of guns.

5 minutes ago, jross said:

What am I missing?  Either US citizen for the MoD was a lousy trade.  All that Russian video did was highlight how stupid this was.

Agreed, it's even what my stated reason for starting the thread was. I wanted to know if most agreed if an arms dealer for a professional basketball player was a good trade. 

1 hour ago, Nailbender said:

I think I can tell that my view of firearm ownership varies greatly from yours. My point of view has far more to do with not wanting to be punished for others poor choices. Which is why I don't want to get into a statistical debate. However to be a good abassador of my point of view and to assume you're arguing in good faith. I'll share this, which will begin to paint a picture of what I mean.

https://youtu.be/u8c2wKISv0o

I just watched this video and love it.  I came to the same conclusions doing my own raw data research and critical thinking.  This confirms the importance of using data and thinking for oneself, rather than blindly listening to the media.  It's also sad!!!

• Fire 2

Just now, jross said:

I just watched this video and love it.  I came to the same conclusions doing my own raw data research and critical thinking.  This confirms the importance of using data and thinking for oneself, rather than blindly listening to the media.  It's also sad!!!

He is a very articulate man armed with a lot of information. I'm not one for remembering statistics, he does a much better job anyway.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Nailbender said:

Please don't take offense because I don't intend it (that's a switch eh?) but yes, you are anti-gun. You're just not anti-gun about the guns you like or are comfortable with. Unfortunately, I'm sorry but you don't know much about them or you wouldn't think some of the things you do. As one example, nobody owns "military weapons" at least not without a background check that includes a very long wait, fingerprints and pictures sent to the ATF and several other hoops including an extra fee. Unless by military weapons you mean a 1911 or an M1 Garand. 

I would also venture to guess, that you don't know as much about gun safety as you think you do but I do appreciate that you have some training. It's important and better than many. I too own guns. I also know a lot about them. I also coach highschool trap and am certified to do so. I also have trauma/bleed training. I take firearms very seriously. 

At our state trap meet their are 3-4 thousand kids and young adults shooting 750,000 rounds over 6 days. There are over 150 athletes shooting perpetually over the daylight hours of those 6 days. If guns are the problem, I don't see it and I see a lot of guns.

Ok.

Of course you would know every personal detail of my life,  including my time with guns. 

I think you assume too much, but,  nor do I care.  Guns don't define my identity. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

4 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Ok.

Of course you would know every personal detail of my life,  including my time with guns. 

I think you assume too much, but,  nor do I care.  Guns don't define my identity. 

I was very specific. Please, I'd love to know what I got wrong. 

Guns don't define me either, I just enjoy them, same as wrestling.

3 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

......What happens if someone drives without auto insurance?

Does a fine stop auto accidents or moving violations?

3 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

.......When they get stopped, penalties are worse........

What does any of this do to help prevent gun violence? Repeat offenders don't seem to be the problem unless you count places like Chicago. I don't think gangs are going to being paying insurance. Mass casualty events don't seem to happen more than one per shooter. I'm failing to see how this insurance idea prevents anything?

That's not even mentioning my ideological problems with complying with it. 

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Nailbender said:

I was very specific. Please, I'd love to know what I got wrong. 

Guns don't define me either, I just enjoy them, same as wrestling.

👌

• Haha 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

3 hours ago, Nailbender said:

Agreed, it's even what my stated reason for starting the thread was. I wanted to know if most agreed if an arms dealer for a professional basketball player was a good trade. 

An American is out of a Russian prison. We aren't trading fantasy fb players here. Is it necessary to win the trade game?

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, MPhillips said:

An American is out of a Russian prison. We aren't trading fantasy fb players here. Is it necessary to win the trade game?

I'm not keen on the idea of prisoner swaps of any kind but if that's the game our president wants to play, yes I'd like to see value in the trade. We gave up a guy who had a hand in the death of thousands, who contributed to turmoil and unrest throughout the world for someone who was too stupid to not bring her drugs on a plane to Russia. The term "Russian Gulag" is scary for a reason.

Brittney Griner protested having the national anthem played before her games. She stayed in the locker room until it was over and made statements about how she didn't want it played because essentially, the anthem is racist. She influenced and encouraged young fans with her behavior. Do you suppose she will enjoy hearing that song now? Now she knows what racism really is.

4 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

Your obsession with Trump is very odd. No one is holding him up as a savior here. In fact, I've even started a couple times that I don't even like him.

From your NYP article:

“This is not a deal. This is not a swap. This is a surrender,” Bolton added. “And terrorists and rogue states all around the world will take note of this, and it endangers other Americans in the future who can be grabbed and used as bargaining chips by people who don’t have the same morals and scruples that we do."

7 minutes ago, Nailbender said:

Your obsession with Trump is very odd. No one is holding him up as a savior here. In fact, I've even started a couple times that I don't even like him.

From your NYP article:

“This is not a deal. This is not a swap. This is a surrender,” Bolton added. “And terrorists and rogue states all around the world will take note of this, and it endangers other Americans in the future who can be grabbed and used as bargaining chips by people who don’t have the same morals and scruples that we do."

That's mean Mr Mustache talking.

The operative part is where Trump didn't even try to get Whelan released ... ever ... during his term in office.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

That's mean Mr Mustache talking.

The operative part is where Trump didn't even try to get Whelan released ... ever ... during his term in office.

I don't know how to put it any more plain. I don't care about DT. I don't know how to break it to you but he's not the president. He adds no value to this conversation.

Just now, Nailbender said:

I don't know how to put it any more plain. I don't care about DT. I don't know how to break it to you but he's not the president. He adds no value to this conversation.

Well then, in comparison to other, recent presidents, Biden's looking pretty good on the whole prisoner exchange thing from my perspective.

8 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I'm aware who they are and what the circumstances are. My point stands though.

Would you be in favor if she was your kid or niece or god daughter?

My relatives would NEVER be in this situation. I've already expressed that I'm glad Brittney is home. I'm happy for her family. It doesn't change the fact that Joe Biden goes out of his way to make the wrong decision.......a lot.

Edited by Nailbender
  • Haha 1