What if….. Trump/Biden don’t get to 270

This is an interesting question.   Is it possible?   I suppose if a third party candidate could grab some electoral votes that would put a kink in the details.  But barring that, it this even possible?

I'm guessing there is a Constitutional measure that has been agreed on.   They probably get all the electors together and have a closed door session and get them to vote again.   I don't know for sure but I'd guess this has been thought about and there is a procedure to figure it out.  

mspart

Yes, it's possible. There are 3 combinations that are possible that would lead to a tie: https://www.270towin.com/electoral-college-tie-combinations/

The process is outlined in the linked article, but basically: Each state House delegation gets a vote. In the current Congress, Republicans have the majority of 27 state delegations. So, assuming they held to it, you would get Trump.

The senators vote individually to elect the Vice President. 

If the makeup stayed the same from the current congress you could get a President Trump and VP Harris. 

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, mspart said:

This is an interesting question.   Is it possible?   I suppose if a third party candidate could grab some electoral votes that would put a kink in the details.  But barring that, it this even possible?

I'm guessing there is a Constitutional measure that has been agreed on.   They probably get all the electors together and have a closed door session and get them to vote again.   I don't know for sure but I'd guess this has been thought about and there is a procedure to figure it out.  

mspart

13 minutes ago, Danny Deck said:

Yes, it's possible. There are 3 combinations that are possible that would lead to a tie: https://www.270towin.com/electoral-college-tie-combinations/

The process is outlined in the linked article, but basically: Each state House delegation gets a vote. In the current Congress, Republicans have the majority of 27 state delegations. So, assuming they held to it, you would get Trump.

If the makeup stayed the same from the current congress you could get a President Trump and VP Harris. 

Yep. That’s the part I found really interesting.  The president and VP could be from different parties.  In todays world that might not be a bad thing. 

5 hours ago, Danny Deck said:

If the makeup stayed the same from the current congress you could get a President Trump and VP Harris

Give the good Senators a little credit, they might just vote for Tulsi Gabbard after all Trump is sure to get impeached another time or two and Gabbard was a Democrat.  

33 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

By the time it would happen the Senate might very well be in Republican control. 

Sure ... but if not think about Chuck Schumer.  Even Chuck has seen the salad speeches.  Would Chuck vote for Kamala over Tulsi?  

21 minutes ago, ionel said:

Sure ... but if not think about Chuck Schumer.  Even Chuck has seen the salad speeches.  Would Chuck vote for Kamala over Tulsi?  

I’m going to need some time on this one.  Yes. 

• Fire 1

21 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

Yep. That’s the part I found really interesting.  The president and VP could be from different parties.  In todays world that might not be a bad thing. 

Unfortunately, I think a VP of the opposite party would just be inviting an assassination attempt.

44 minutes ago, Danny Deck said:

Unfortunately, I think a VP of the opposite party would just be inviting an assassination attempt.

I've thought that too DD.   Either direction.   However if Kamala is VP, that might temper the mood for that.  

By the way, welcome to the boards!!

mspart

• Fire 1

27 minutes ago, mspart said:

However if Kamala is VP, that might temper the mood for that.  

mspart

Who doesn't look forward to Kamala making a state of the union address.  Lettuce wait in high anticipation.  🥗 

• Fire 1

Kamala -  He he he,  thank you all for that applause for me.   Thank you thank you thank you.   Now, this is the State of the Union speech, for those not aware he he he, and in this speech, I will be talking about the state of the union and where I want the state of the union to be and where the state of the union will move forward with my guidance.   Let me just say that when preparing this state of the union speech, I looked deeply at the state of the union and thought very hard how I could make you understand that the state of this union is for real.   

With that said, The state of this union is really good because I'm President he he he he he.    And being President on this state of the union speech night is one of the dreams I've had at every state of the union address since I was 3, yes, 3 years old.   Yes, I knew when I was 3 years old, that I wanted to be President someday and look - Here I am giving the state of the union address, he he he he he.    When I was 3 I dreamed of becoming President because I knew in my heart I could do it better than any white person, because I am a person of color whose ancestors owned slaves, isn't that ironic he he he he he.    I am black but my ancestors owned people like me.   And the state of the union is just that.   It is about knowing who we are and who we were, and who we will become through our children and their children.   And our children are our future.   And that future is about learning

- The Cameraman falls asleep and disconnects the feed so unfortunately we will not be able to hear anymore more of this riveting speech.  

mspart 

21 hours ago, ionel said:

Who doesn't look forward to Kamala making a state of the union address.  Lettuce wait in high anticipation.  🥗 

I will need a lot of ranch dressing and 3 extra strength Tylenol.