Cornell NC State dual meet

15 hours ago, Pish said:

Of course, turned on to watch what I thought would be a good dual only to see good ole Cornell without Vito or Cornella. 

Please Cornell..going forward, stop scheduling a great out of conference schedule when all you do is sit guys and lose. It’s one thing to sit guys and win. It’s unbelievable how many times they lose because guys don’t take the mat 

For as long as I can recall, Cornell schedules a tough opponent near the end (mid-February and later) of the dual season.  It seems to work, as they consistently perform well at the EIWA and NCAA tournaments.  So, it works for them.  I can give you Coach Grey's email address if you'd like to suggest how they can change their season strategy to better align with your opinion.  Keep in mind that Coach Grey cannot, when making the schedule, predict the medical or other status of everyone on the team six months out.  Maybe, just maybe, they get more out of wrestling a tough opponent than they do out of another blowout of an EIWA team.  Can you remind me who sat out the great out-of-conference duals against Missouri and Ohio State this year? TIA.  "All you do:"  sheesh.

Cornella is injured.  Period.  Everyone who follows Cornell, and even some who don't, know that.  Coach Grey isn't "sitting him."

Vito never "sits out" a dual unless there is a very good reason to do so, and ducking ain't one of those reasons.  Again, those who follow Cornell, and many who don't, know that Vito has had injury issues all season until recently, and even last weekend appeared to take a knock to the head that momentarily stunned him.

Finally, last I checked, any team other than Penn State whose best guys don't take the mat often lose because of it.

• Fire 4

12 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Someone point me to an illegal stream or replay? This is a good one and I want to avoid results in hopes that I can watch it essentially  “live” on an illegal replay 

If your business model included charging people for your product or service, how would you feel if someone stole your product or service and made it available to others for free?  You good with that?

Just sign up for a free trial of a TV provider that carries the network (in this case ACCNX), and cancel if you don't like the network (that's why they offer free trials:  some people keep it, some people forget to cancel).

Blatant theft.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Pish said:

Of course, turned on to watch what I thought would be a good dual only to see good ole Cornell without Vito or Cornella. 

Please Cornell..going forward, stop scheduling a great out of conference schedule when all you do is sit guys and lose. It’s one thing to sit guys and win. It’s unbelievable how many times they lose because guys don’t take the mat 

Yea, I've gotta chime in on this too - as a Cornell fan, I'm in no way embarrassed by the results of this dual.  I saw a match between two really good teams, and last night, the better team won.

At 141, we all know Cornella wrestling in this dual was just a fantasy - if you saw the Mizzou dual, anyone could see he was seriously injured.  On the other hand, Josh Saunders came off the bench and gave 4th ranked Ryan Jack all he can handle - Saunders very nearly pulled off the upset, and I'm not sure he's a significant level below a healthy Cornella, let alone a banged-up Cornella.  As a Cornell fan - I'm proud of what our guy did.

We don't know what the issue was/is with Vito, but if you watched the last dual against Penn - something did not look right, and indeed at one point he appeared to signal for injury time, but then waved it off (much to the disapproval of the Penn crowd, who wanted a choice for their guy on the restart).  But let's say hypothetically he was healthy enough to start, but not quite 100% - maybe he wins that match, but probably not with bonus points, so that's an 8 point swing - 19-12 final score.  It's still not enough to make a difference.

Losses by Ungar and Foca were disappointing, I had picked both to win; but on the other hand I did not pick Benny Baker to win his bout at 174 (oh me of little faith!), so we dropped one more of the close ones than I expected. (Yeah, Benny!)  Other than that - I think things went pretty much chalk.  We saw some good matchups, some very exciting wrestling (the 184 bout was WILD), and a solid effort by both teams.  So why are people whining?  Two guys we hoped to see weren't available - we still saw 9 great matches (only 133 was a mismatch, not to throw shade on Qureshi's effort).

As I posted on the Cornell forum - Sometimes the other team is better. Sometimes it's just not your day. For some reason some folks think wrestling should always follow predictable results, but look at other sports - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... and sometimes it rains.

And tomorrow is another day.  Looking forward to the guys bouncing back at App. State.

Edited by Red Blades
Grammar, spelling
  • Fire 1

42 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

If your business model included charging people for your product or service, how would you feel if someone stole your product or service and made it available to others for free?  You good with that?

Just sign up for a free trial of a TV provider that carries the network (in this case ACCNX), and cancel if you don't like the network (that's why they offer free trials:  some people keep it, some people forget to cancel).

Blatant theft.

Bro this is the internet; you’re not going to change my mind.

I have Flo Pro, BTN, and BTN+.  I can’t justify buying every streaming service available just got a few duals a year I want. Even Ben Askren on FRL talks about illegally streaming lol. 

If anyone wants one I found this: https://youtu.be/LzCg8o9NnIo?si=bZdp9utJ33-iA22p

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Red Blades said:

Yea, I've gotta chime in on this too - as a Cornell fan, I'm in no way embarrassed by the results of this dual.  I saw a match between two really good teams, and last night, the better team won.

At 141, we all know Cornella wrestling in this dual was just a fantasy - if you saw the Mizzou dual, anyone could see he was seriously injured.  On the other hand, Josh Saunders came off the bench and gave 4th ranked Ryan Jack all he can handle - Saunders very nearly pulled off the upset, and I'm not sure he's a significant level below a healthy Cornella, let alone a banged-up Cornella.  As a Cornell fan - I'm proud of what our guy did.

We don't know what the issue was/is with Vito, but if you watched the last dual against Penn - something did not look right, and indeed at one point he appeared to signal for injury time, but then waved it off (much to the disapproval of the Penn crowd, who wanted a choice for their guy on the restart).  But let's say hypothetically he was healthy enough to start, but not quite 100% - maybe he wins that match, but probably not with bonus points, so that's an 8 point swing - 19-12 final score.  It's still not enough to make a difference.

Losses by Ungar and Foca were disappointing, I had picked both to win; but on the other hand I did not pick Benny Baker to win his bout at 174 (oh me of little faith!), so we dropped one more of the close ones than I expected. (Yeah, Benny!)  Other than that - I think things went pretty much chalk.  We saw some good matchups, some very exciting wrestling (the 184 bout was WILD), and a solid effort by both teams.  So why are people whining?  Two guys we hoped to see weren't available - we still saw 9 great matches (only 133 was a mismatch, not to throw shade on Qureshi's effort).

As I posted on the Cornell forum - Sometimes the other team is better. Sometimes it's just not your day. For some reason some folks think wrestling should always follow predictable results, but look at other sports - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... and sometimes it rains.

And tomorrow is another day.  Looking forward to the guys bouncing back at App. State.

This board needs a lot more Red Blades to share this level of support and enthusiasm for their particular team.

• Fire 2

14 minutes ago, Red Blades said:

Although @BigRedFan just laid into me, sorta for a silly reason, you and he both are knowledge and bring up amazing points.

I don’t follow Cornell very closely, obviously, since I was asking for an illegal steam. Vito very clearly has some medical issue, injury, or other. I worry about how he will perform come the post season since he’s sitting out so consistently and late in the season. 

Cornell doesn’t seem to just not give a shit about duals, they just do prioritize them over the post season, which is very fair.

Thank you both for contributing!

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Bro this is the internet; you’re not going to change my mind.

I have Flo Pro, BTN, and BTN+.  I can’t justify buying every streaming service available just got a few duals a year I want. Even Ben Askren on FRL talks about illegally streaming lol. 

If anyone wants one I found this: https://youtu.be/LzCg8o9NnIo?si=bZdp9utJ33-iA22p

So you spend some money on streams of your choosing, but you don't value other streams enough to pay for them:  so you steal them.  I guess it is okay because Ben Askren talks about it.

I can't change your mind, but I can give you perspective that you can choose to ignore.  Everyone else can pay for your theft, right?

16 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Cornell doesn’t seem to just not give a shit about duals, they just do prioritize them over the post season, which is very fair.

Thank you both for contributing!

Why did they put out their best teams for the Missouri and Ohio State duals this year, if they don't give a shit about duals?  Why do they even bother scheduling them?

Just now, BigRedFan said:

So you spend some money on streams of your choosing, but you don't value other streams enough to pay for them:  so you steal them.  I guess it is okay because Ben Askren talks about it.

I can't change your mind, but I can give you perspective that you can choose to ignore.  Everyone else can pay for your theft, right?

“So you spend some money on streams of your choosing, but you don't value other streams enough to pay for them:  so you steal them.” You hit the nail on the head with that one.

If it’s any consolation I wouldn’t be able to watch it without the person proving it. I am part of the demand but your witch hunt of me is like imprisoning the kid with a gram of some drug rather than going after the person growing/making 100 pounds.    

Streaming was suppose to make life easier, instead everything is spread out everywhere. I’d easily pay a good amount for all wrestling being housed under one umbrella or company or service. 

Just now, BigRedFan said:

Why did they put out their best teams for the Missouri and Ohio State duals this year, if they don't give a shit about duals?  Why do they even bother scheduling them?

Sorry for the double negative, when I said this:

doesn’t seem to just not give a shit about duals, they just do prioritize them over the post season,” 

I meant that they do care, just not enough to risk injury or other. I’m on your side; you’re just angry at me for illegally streaming. I like Cornell and wish them the best, I’d much prefer to donate to their RTC that give money to the ACC. 

26 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Sorry for the double negative, when I said this:

doesn’t seem to just not give a shit about duals, they just do prioritize them over the post season,” 

I meant that they do care, just not enough to risk injury or other. I’m on your side; you’re just angry at me for illegally streaming. I like Cornell and wish them the best, I’d much prefer to donate to their RTC that give money to the ACC. 

All good.  Sorry if I misinterpreted your statement.

(again, do what I did:  find a TV provider that carries the network you want and that offers a free trial (like FuboTV), sign up, watch, cancel.  The TV providers make these offers knowing full well that most won't stick, but they've calculated that it is worth it to them.

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Vito never "sits out" a dual unless there is a very good reason to do so, and ducking ain't one of those reasons.  Again, those who follow Cornell, and many who don't, know that Vito has had injury issues all season until recently, and even last weekend appeared to take a knock to the head that momentarily stunned him.

1 hour ago, Red Blades said:

We don't know what the issue was/is with Vito, but if you watched the last dual against Penn - something did not look right, and indeed at one point he appeared to signal for injury time,

So I think the real question is, are we getting to a point where Vito won't compete at EIWA's or NCAA's to make sure he is good to go for Olympic trials?

Realistically, if Vito can't handle much contact with college kids at this point, he's either so injured that he needs surgery, or he's so concussed that he needs to spend every day healing if he is going to be good to go by the end of April.  Either way, as a returning world champ, and for a coach looking to build his own legacy, I'm really starting to doubt the cost benefit of having Vito compete folkstyle anymore.

Edited by wrestle87

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

So I think the real question is, are we getting to a point where Vito won't compete at EIWA's or NCAA's to make sure he is good to go for Olympic trials?

Realistically, if Vito can't handle much contact with college kids at this point, he's either so injured that he needs surgery, or he's so concussed that he needs to spend every day healing if he is going to be good to go by the end of April.  Either way, as a returning world champ, and for a coach looking to build his own legacy, I'm really starting to doubt the cost benefit of having Vito compete folkstyle anymore.

I hadn’t thought of that. I figured they were holding him for NCAAs and EIWA. I hadn’t considered holding him for Olympic trials.

I’d hate to see that as a college wrestling fan first and foremost, but I also want to see Vito healthy in that trials bracket as a fan of wrestling.