Monday night on BTN...Rutgers @ PSU

feet2back

11 hours ago, Rassling said:

Under PSU coaching staff even the back up wrestlers peak. Look at CStarr on the side lines happy for his team mate 

At least he wasn’t scrolling through his phone this time

11 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Byrd, Fix, Cannon were all top 10ish and returning All-Americans last year at the time of their meeting. Plus, RBY twice, Mendez twice, Fix again in the postseason. His only bad loss last year was Palmer.

And all of Nagao’s losses this year are “too 10ish,” so it can be argued he doesn’t have any bad losses this year.

23 hours ago, lightweight said:

I have this set to record tonight, but I am not expecting much.  Pretty anticlimactic after the other recent duals (e.g. Iowa).  I expect a lot of the second string, both from PSU and from the BTN announcing ranks.  Watching it on tape delay will allow me to skip to the highlights only.  

Just watched the tape delay and was pleasantly surprised to see that we got the professional announcers; good stuff.   But I must admit that the headlever vs. coffeegrinder schtick has gotten stale and they need to move on.  

18 hours ago, Elevator said:

artsy movie w fine acting that is uninteresting and dark

I missed the trailer but I assume you're talking about THE HOLDOVERS?  I disagree -- I thought it was neither uninteresting nor dark.  Kept my attention (it is a human drama with lots of talking - you won't find it in the Marvel universe) and, without providing spoilers, I think the conclusion is actually upbeat rather than dark.  

Although Giamatti is a great actor (e.g., he did this role, and also one of the leads in BILLIONS), my only criticism is that this character is a lot like the one he played in WIN WIN, a movie that has gotten a lot of traction on this board due to its using wrestling as a backdrop.  Similar kind of storyline too, with kids as his foils.  

If you haven't seen THE HOLDOVERS I suggest you see it (it is in streaming now) and form your own conclusion.  

OK, I finally watched on tape delay.  Some random thoughts:

--  hate the black and pink singlets.  and the 'blackout' makes it look like nobody is in attendance.  I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but the whole 'pink for February', which was novel twenty years ago to 'raise awareness', seems like it is just an excuse now for clothing manufacturers to sell alternative jerseys.  

-- 125 The crowd chant "Let's Go Braeden" makes me think of NASCAR races, for some reason.  Just sayin'.

-- 133 Nagao seems to run hot/cold.  He definitely can ride with double boots in, but is that going to win close matches against the best guys this year?

-- 141 First time I've seen the 5 second head&arm call.  Usually it is reserved for hanging on below the waist.  That having been said, I liked this ref for all his vocalizations to let the wrestlers know where they stood.  But Bartlett disappointed - when you're highly ranked against an unranked guy you should be putting him away quickly, like Haines at 157.

--157 See above

-- 165 Love the motor on MM.  High school coaches should show his matches to their teams to show them how to get after it.  

-- 174 I get that people are excited about the weight differential, but that long time figure-4 ride could have been stalling on the top.

-- 184 Truax vs a freshman. The mismatches are starting to cause me to lose interest here.

-- 197 Brooks does what he is supposed to do, just like Haines did.

-- Hwt. I still don't understand how guys give up a Harvard degree just to wrestle for Rutgers?  Unless he already finished, and is a grad transfer, but the announcers didn't say that.  And then he gets beat by the backup.

Overall it must have been tough for Rutgers to come into such a big arena as such big underdogs.  Must have felt like being a Christian in the Roman Colosseum.  

--

7 minutes ago, lightweight said:

-- Hwt. I still don't understand how guys give up a Harvard degree just to wrestle for Rutgers?  Unless he already finished, and is a grad transfer, but the announcers didn't say that.  And then he gets beat by the backup.

Grad

54 minutes ago, lightweight said:

Thanks.  That was the only explanation that made sense to me.  

That makes sense. Losing, and badly, to a guy who is 50 pounds lighter and not even the starter... No sense can be made of that.

• Haha 1