2024 Yarygin

Hey friends, haven't seen any Yarygin discussion on here so I figured I'd start it up. I've got full results with some matches embedded here:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/11957042-2024-yarygin-wrestling-tournament-brackets-results

Nothing too crazy has happened but Sadulaev is back and wasn't really challenged in any of his matches on his way to the finals today. 74 kg finals should be really good between Kadimagomedov and Baev.

• Fire 4

3 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Hey friends, haven't seen any Yarygin discussion on here so I figured I'd start it up. I've got full results with some matches embedded here:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/11957042-2024-yarygin-wrestling-tournament-brackets-results

Nothing too crazy has happened but Sadulaev is back and wasn't really challenged in any of his matches on his way to the finals today. 74 kg finals should be really good between Kadimagomedov and Baev.

Whay happened to Nokhodi at 86 KG for Iran?

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Whay happened to Nokhodi at 86 KG for Iran?

I don't think Nokhodi was ever registered but Savadkouhi lost round one at 86kg to Tazhitin Akaev who's really solid. Akaev just beat Amanulla Gadzhimagomedov last month - that's who beat Artur Naifonov (world/Olympic bronze) last year at Russian Nationals.

So not a bad loss for Savadkouhi but he's not the same guy he was at 79kg. Savadkouhi also lost to Hadi Vafaeipour in December at Iranian nationals. His chances of making the Olympic team right now are pretty slim.

• Fire 2

7 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

But this is a future event and he’s taken lumps this year.

I don't disagree. I just thought it was ironic...:classic_smile:

He's probably wrestled more matches than anyone internationally for the last eleven years (if I'm wrong, I'm certain someone will tell me).  He takes losses here and there. I'll back him until he's finished...💪 

• Fire 2

Bekzod (former clarion wrestler) had a great tournament at 74 and kadi recemented himself as a serious threat at the weight bizohev and baev wondering how many kilos they were allotted if making scratch 74 has been hindering his performances.

On 1/28/2024 at 6:51 PM, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Why were there no Americans? Isn’t this a tournament that we generally send some of our better guys to to get international experience? 

btw- I fear for Snyder at the Olympics….

Yeah, why weren't there any Americans? Weird. 

To Jon Kozak (who seems to be in the know):  Is the scheduled wrestle off between Yianni and Nick Lee still happening this weekend?  I see Yianni's name listed for the Pan Am qualifiers.  Is that just pro forma or has Lee withdrawn?   Thanks.

On 1/30/2024 at 3:42 PM, SocraTease said:

To Jon Kozak (who seems to be in the know):  Is the scheduled wrestle off between Yianni and Nick Lee still happening this weekend?  I see Yianni's name listed for the Pan Am qualifiers.  Is that just pro forma or has Lee withdrawn?   Thanks.

Hey sorry I just saw this. Yes - the wrestle off is still happening on Saturday. UWW has deadlines for their initial entry list and USA Wrestling can change entries up until a day or two before the event.

• Fire 1

On 1/30/2024 at 9:24 AM, pokemonster said:

Yeah, why weren't there any Americans? Weird. 

On 1/28/2024 at 6:51 PM, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Why were there no Americans? Isn’t this a tournament that we generally send some of our better guys to to get international experience? 

btw- I fear for Snyder at the Olympics….

Trying not to get locked up on some specious charges?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Is going to Russia even an option?  It's been on the State Department's "Do Not Travel" list since the Ukraine invasion, and I'm not aware of any USA Wrestling-sanctioned visits to Russia since the invasion, nor since Russia was barred from international competition.  I'm not aware of any specific rule barring a US athlete from flying to Russia and competing, but I suspect they'd be doing it without the support of USA Wrestling.

• Fire 3

On 2/2/2024 at 1:10 PM, BAC said:

Is going to Russia even an option?  It's been on the State Department's "Do Not Travel" list since the Ukraine invasion, and I'm not aware of any USA Wrestling-sanctioned visits to Russia since the invasion, nor since Russia was barred from international competition.  I'm not aware of any specific rule barring a US athlete from flying to Russia and competing, but I suspect they'd be doing it without the support of USA Wrestling.

Ahhh, makes sense. I wouldn't risk going into Russia right now either...

• Fire 1