Daily Trivia (NCAA Tournament Edition)

cowcards

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

I'm not looking down thread first, so here goes:

Epperly

McKee

Sheets?

First names are necessary for what you've listed.  If you mean Zach Epperly (lost initial bout and placed 3rd on 2016), he "only" won seven bouts. Same for Patrick McKee - he won his initial bout, lost in 2nd round, and then won six straight to place third, for a total of seven wins.

To win eight bouts in a bracketed tourney... you need a pigtail to get the extra bout. Look for 3rd place winners who had a pigtail AND lost in either R1 or R2 to eventually place third. 

There were some years that the NCAA championship was also an Olympic trial event, and they used round-robin bracketing.

I couldn't find any others.  Checked every bracket from 1996 onward.  I started at 1996, as this was the first year that a full double-elimination structure was implemented with complete consolations. This is key to getting to eight wins because, as I posted earlier, the only way to winning additional bouts are:

• Winning a pigtail (either in the topside or consolation)
  • Lose a bout in championship R1 or R2 (this gives you an extra bout in R2 consolations)
  • Win the R12 bout in the consolation
  • Win the consolation semi-final.

If you do all of those, you pick up an extra 4 bouts beyond the typical five bout a champion wins.  That make nine total bout -- the 3rd place finisher ends up 8-1 for the tourney.

The only guy I've seen that has done this was Quisel.  Again, it may have been possible in one of the early tourneys that was structured as a round-robin (see 1936 and 1948).

18 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

I couldn't find any others.  Checked every bracket from 1996 onward.  I started at 1996, as this was the first year that a full double-elimination structure was implemented with complete consolations. This is key to getting to eight wins because, as I posted earlier, the only way to winning additional bouts are:

• Lose a bout in championship R1 or R2 (this gives you an extra bout in R2 consolations)

If you do all of those, you pick up an extra 4 bouts beyond the typical five bout a champion wins.  That make nine total bout -- the 3rd place finisher ends up 8-1 for the tourney.

The only guy I've seen that has done this was Quisel.  Again, it may have been possible in one of the early tourneys that was structured as a round-robin (see 1936 and 1948).

You have to go back further than 1996

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

43 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Found my first guy:  Larry Quinsel (Boise State), 1999 @ 157.  Lost in R1, dropped in consolation pigtail and ran eight straight to place 3rd.

image.png.2a754ee51be42a24788b25fa7cb73ee0.png

image.thumb.png.0e22165a3b21a02902c386f2ed04b811.png

Still digging for others.

The answers are on page 1

30 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Prior to 1996 you could win a championship pigtail, win a round of 32, lose a round of 16, and get 9 matches.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Prior to 1996 you could win a championship pigtail, win a round of 32, lose a round of 16, and get 9 matches.

Not true.  Prior to 1996, you had to be pulled into the consolation by losing to a quarter-finalist.  The was no drop into the consolation bracket for the R2 losers.  Here is a 1995 and 1996 bracket comparison.  As you can see, by introducing complete wrestlebacks in 1996, an extra round was added to the consolation bracket.

image.thumb.png.1b8c360916ae67aa4d617cb05cbcac06.png

image.thumb.png.078ed03392080cc3442d9f95f64fb1b8.png

19 hours ago, cowcards said:

It's not often that a #1 seed doesn't win a match, it's only happened 12x by my count. But one year 2 of them did. What year was it and who were they?

Answer:  1972

126 Oklahoma State Yoshiro Fujita
  177 Ohio Russ Johnson

New question for the day:

Wrestling is an international sport with at least 13 countries (by hometown) having wrestlers who have earned AA honors:

An example would be Lachlan McNeil with Toronto is listed as his hometown even though he went to Wyoming Seminary in PA. 

Name those countries (bonus points for naming any).

55 minutes ago, cowcards said:

New question for the day:

Wrestling is an international sport with at least 13 countries (by hometown) having wrestlers who have earned AA honors:

An example would be Lachlan McNeil with Toronto is listed as his hometown even though he went to Wyoming Seminary in PA. 

Name those countries (bonus points for naming any).

Japan, Cuba, Uzbekistan, Canada, Russia, Mongolia, Iran, Germany, Hungary, South Africa, 

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

8 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Was Mike Amine born in Lebanon prior to his dad moving the family?

I believe Mike was born in Michigan, his dad immigrated.

• Fire 2

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

51 minutes ago, cowcards said:

You got all but 2!

6 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Forgot Borislav Novachkov from Bulgaria.  Can't figure out who I'm missing

Never mind.  It's Franklin Gomez Dominican Republic.  Lol, forgot the one guy who's a part of NLWC

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

On 1/29/2024 at 4:32 PM, cowcards said:

The last 2 countries I was looking for was Iraq and Turkey. You have to go all the way back to the 50s for those. 

New question - Since 1967, how many unseeded wrestlers have won a National Title?

The answer was 9. More than I would've thought.

Next question - What high school has the most National Champs?? Bonus point if you can name when the last one was. 

2 hours ago, cowcards said:

The answer was 9. More than I would've thought.

Next question - What high school has the most National Champs?? Bonus point if you can name when the last one was. 

Tulsa Central HS.  Eleven champs.  Mickey Martin (TCHS class of 1959 & son of Wayne Martin) was the last TCHS graduate to win NCAA titles in 1962 and 1963 (OW).  Mickey and Wayne are the only father-son duo to win OW awards.

Edited by lu_alum