Wrestling Documentary....

I'm sure somebody will know here what movie I'm trying to find.  There is a scene where one of the (HS) kids is walking to the back of the bus with an attitude, pissed off about something with life.  It's not Takedowns and Falls or Wrestle...driving me crazy I can't think of it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is it “Wrestle” about a Huntsville Alabama team where a few of the kids came from some tough backgrounds. That one had a few moments of wrestler frustration.   

Or maybe “Junk Yard Dogs” about a LA California team that didn’t have much of a program and was trying to earn respect from the better school.  It also had a few of those moments  

https://www.amazon.com/Junkyard-Dogs-Kenji-Porter/dp/B082DMNDSL

Edited by MadMardigain
  • Fire 2

Then there is always the Chris Pratt wrestling documentary “On the Mat” about his old Washington High School program that was known for doing well at state. 

https://tribecafilm.com/films/512cf8bb1c7d76e046001e9e-on-the-mat

Or the ESPN made one “The Streak” about a storied Florida program. 

https://www.amazon.com/Streak-Jonathan-Hock/dp/B0074NSZ3A

Edited by MadMardigain
  • Fire 1

We really just need to compile a list of all wrestling related movies and documentaries and pin it someplace for future reference.

While I’m on a roll of the lesser famous documenteies:

“Shot in the Dark” about a blind wrestler trying to compete at state. 

“Zion” about a wrestler trying to compete that doesn’t have any legs.

• Fire 2

“Prince of Pennsylvania” and “Team Foxcatxher” if you want a documentary about the Schultz brothers and the Foxcatxher issues. 

“Wrestle Away” the Lee Kemp story.

“The Season” ESPN show about Iowa University that most everyone knows.

I haven’t watched this yet but just came across “Stand Up” while trying to look up anything I may have forgot.  Two senior rivals and friends try to get a PA state title  

Also found “For the Love of Catch” which again I haven’t seen yet.  Sounds like it interviews several former wrestlers to get stories from their past.  Looks like some post college career MMA also thrown in there too  

Edited by MadMardigain

To not forget the ladies there have been a couple documentaries about Helen Maroulis including a recent one called “Helen Believe”. I think Flo may have had the other one. 

PBS has a spotlight documentary on teen sensation Tesgya Alo “Winning Girl” where she wrestled a couple other top girls like Kayla Miracle.  Alo ended up going a different direction later in life but it was still a solid watch.  

Also there have been a couple Rulon Gardner documentaries put out “Rulon” which is more about his wrestling journey” and “Rulon Won’t Die” which also highlights some of his crazy post Olympics experiences and attempt at a comeback.  

Henry Cejudo also has a couple documentaries highlighting his life story, olympic run, and/or post Olympics MMA transformation.  “Making of an Amateur Champion”  “Henry Cejudo Experiment”  and I believe there was one more that talked a lot about his life story.   That maybe a Flo one but can’t recall  

9 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

To not forget the ladies there have been a couple documentaries about Helen Maroulis including a recent one called “Helen Believe”. I think Flo may have had the other one. 

PBS has a spotlight documentary on teen sensation Tesgya Alo “Winning Girl” where she wrestled a couple other top girls like Kayla Miracle.  Alo ended up going a different direction later in life but it was still a solid watch.  

Helen Believe isn’t streaming anywhere is it?   That has to be the weirdest marketing of a movie I’ve ever seen.  1 day in theaters then disappears

• Fire 2

Thanks for all of the great feedback and info!  It wasn't Vision Quest or Wrestle.  If I remember right, it was similar to Takedowns and Falls (in fact, I bought Takedowns and Falls because I was thinking it was Doug Schweiger), but thought it was with more "preppy" kids, and the scene I was thinking of wasn't in Takedowns and Falls.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind...

Anthony Robles run through NCAA “Unstopable”. 

If I recall correctly MTV True Life  did two different episode about wrestling. One followed some Washington  high school wrestlers and the other focused on Cory Cooperman at Lehigh with the struggle of making weight.  

52 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

We really just need to compile a list of all wrestling related movies and documentaries and pin it someplace for future reference.

While I’m on a roll of the lesser famous documenteies:

“Shot in the Dark” about a blind wrestler trying to compete at state. 

“Zion” about a wrestler trying to compete that doesn’t have any legs.

I believe we had a list going at the start of Covid on themat board.  @jross?

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Helen Believe isn’t streaming anywhere is it?   That has to be the weirdest marketing of a movie I’ve ever seen.  1 day in theaters then disappears

I’ve not seen it yet. I think some documentaries get pushed out for a short run in theaters to make them eligible for some of the upcoming movie awards.  Helen’s may have been put out in that manor to do that with plans for a later release on a streaming service. 

13 minutes ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Thanks for all of the great feedback and info!  It wasn't Vision Quest or Wrestle.  If I remember right, it was similar to Takedowns and Falls (in fact, I bought Takedowns and Falls because I was thinking it was Doug Schweiger), but thought it was with more "preppy" kids, and the scene I was thinking of wasn't in Takedowns and Falls.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind...

Maybe “ Junkyard Dogs”. That was a private school in LA that wasn’t really known for its wrestling but trying to get some respect. Their school wasn’t really into sports to much and the wrestling room was some dingy backroom space that wasn’t being used.  I guess you could call their story “preppy” but more in a nerdy we can attend this special school sense than a cocky rich kid one. 

Edited by MadMardigain

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I believe we had a list going at the start of Covid on themat board.  @jross?

Love to see one put together on a dedicated pinned thread or sub-board.  Keep them separated with one post for each movie/document with a good description and a link to where you can find it to watch.  Unless BobDole wants to go the extra step and create a dedicated webpage just to list everything out so additional posts don’t clog things up. 

10 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

I’ve not seen it yet. I think some documentaries get pushed out for a short run in theaters to make them eligible for some of the upcoming movie awards.  Helen’s may have been put out in that manor to do that with plans for a later release on a streaming service. 

It was almost 10 months ago that it was in theaters, I started the thread about it.  But I had forgotten Mark Perry was pretty prominently featured in it, I wonder if the “controversy surrounding him” could have anything do with why it isn’t available to stream yet.

Or maybe they’ll just release it closer to the Olympics or something.  But then the events of the movie will be pretty outdated (IIRC they already were, I think they were talking about Worlds results from 2021 or something).