OSU vs OSU 1/19/24

alex1fly

1 hour ago, Cowboy08 said:

you can't be serious 

Why not?  He beat Teague in competition.

Also, I did say IF.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Why not?  He beat Teague in competition.

Also, I did say IF.

What was the score and when?  Don't you think they train together all the time?  What's Williams best win at 149 and/or 157?

Edited by ionel

Just now, ionel said:

What was the score?  Don't you think they train together all the time?  Whats Williams best win at 149 and/or 157?

Not really the point.  Williams beat him in competition.  They wrestle at a school that has used wrestleoffs to determine who goes at the end if the season, if they are both NQ caliber gents.

Obviously you know they train together.

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Not really the point.  Williams beat him in competition.  They wrestle at a school that has used wrestleoffs to determine who goes at the end if the season, if they are both NQ caliber gents.

Obviously you know they train together.

7-6 back on Nov 18th with TT pulling down to 149 and his only loss.  Rather meaningless result at this stage, coaches look at how they wrestling not just 1 point. 

23 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You say "No way." with Smith having a history of trusting the wrestleoff.  If Williams were to go up and beat Teague (again) then why would he not get the nod?

Williams is not reliable (yet). And Smith has made some poor choices based on wrestle offs in the past few years.

Edited by alex1fly
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Williams is not reliable (yet). And Smith has made some poor choices based on wrestle offs in the past few years.

Kind of my point, isn't it?

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

7-6 back on Nov 18th with TT pulling down to 149 and his only loss.  Rather meaningless result at this stage, coaches look at how they wrestling not just 1 point. 

Smith doesn't do that, though.  Results are results to him.  Unless he has changed suddenly.

Just now, nhs67 said:

Smith doesn't do that, though.  Results are results to him.  Unless he has changed suddenly.

You can read John's mind?

How many times has TT beaten Williams in the room?  How many matches has Williams won at 157? 

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Trust me every OSU wrestling fan is hoping that Smith can adapt his views to look at the bigger picture. He’s shown signs of it this offseason and season. Got to put the best guy out there, not just who can perform well sometimes but completely flail other times. 

23 minutes ago, ionel said:

You can read John's mind?

How many times has TT beaten Williams in the room?  How many matches has Williams won at 157? 

How many matches did Joe Smith win in 2018-19 at 165 prior to taking the spot from Chandler Rogers after their wrestleoff?

Just now, nhs67 said:

How many matches did Joe Smith win in 2018-19 at 165 prior to taking the spot from Chandler Rogers after their wrestleoff?

How many times did he beat him in the room, probably every time?  I think it was the wrong way to do it but prob between the 3 coaches it seemed like the fair way to do it.  It was clearly a mistake.   

54 minutes ago, ionel said:

How many times did he beat him in the room, probably every time?  I think it was the wrong way to do it but prob between the 3 coaches it seemed like the fair way to do it.  It was clearly a mistake.   

We agree it was a mistake.

It still happened, though.  I won't believe it can't happen because it absolutely could.

Oklahoma state winning all the OT matches... 149, 174 and 197.  

Plott over Munoz 4-2.... Munoz in on several deep shots but couldn't convert. Story of the dual. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

26 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Oklahoma state winning all the OT matches... 149, 174 and 197.  

Plott over Munoz 4-2.... Munoz in on several deep shots but couldn't convert. Story of the dual. 

Don't forget that exciting 1-1 hwt match.  🙂

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

Yeah... I wrote that before the HWT match

But you should've known it'd be 1-1, what else could it be ... first period tech?  🤔

😉

Edited by ionel

Final Results:

125: Brandon Kaylor (ORST) over Troy Spratley (OKST) Fall

133: Daton Fix (OKST) over Gabe Whisenhunt (ORST) (TF 22-6) 

141: Cleveland Belton (ORST) over Tagen Jamison (OKST) (Dec 4-3) 

149: Sammy Alvarez (OKST) over Nash Singleton (ORST) (SV-1 4-1) 

157: Teague Travis (OKST) over Isaiah Crosby (ORST) (Dec 4-2) 

165: Izzak Olejnik (OKST) over Kekana Fouret (ORST) (MD 10-1) 

174: Brayden Thompson (OKST) over (165) Matthew Olguin (ORST) (SV-1 4-1) 

184: Dustin Plott (OKST) over Trey Munoz (ORST) (Dec 4-2) 

197: Luke Surber (OKST) over Justin Rademacher (ORST) (SV-1 9-6) 

285: Konner Doucet (OKST) over Boone McDermott (ORST) (TB-1 2-1)

2 hours ago, Offthemat said:

They looked a little flat and the ref looked like he didn’t want to be there.  

Ref was so bad! Spratley was pinned several times before they called the pin. Bunch of scrambles that were clearly in progress were called as stalemates. Oregon State's 165 was on bottom and crawled from the center to the edge of the mat, how is that not fleeing the mat? At 141 neither guy took a shot until the 3rd period, no stall call. At 149 Alvarez took about 15 shots to his opponent's 2 shots, no stall call. Two Oregon State kids were on bottom and were called for stalling WHILE THEY WERE TRYING TO GET UP. 

Edited by alex1fly

I don't know if I'm noticing it more this year, or if it really is worse but dang the subjective nature of stall calls and stalemates feels out of control. 

Anyways Pokes were a little flat but won close matches which is sure better than losing them. And they only gave up like 3 takedowns which is solid. Hoping to see Alvarez get in the rankings after beating #15 this week, beating #29 last week, and hanging tough with #9. I'm a little mystified to see Travis still ranked 18 since he beat Ed Scott who was ranked #4 and his sole loss was at 149.

Edited by alex1fly