Pitt vs tOSU on BIG10 Network today

lightweight

149 freshman Finn Solomon, who was the loser when they met at Clarion.  

Good action.  Solomon with a late TD to take the lead.  Lots of scoring back and forth.  Looks like Solomon was going to take it this time, but seems like he gasses and gives up multiple late TDs to lose.  

Match was 6-6 tOSU at this point.

• Fire 1

174 # 20 Augustine vs #4 Carson Kharchla

Quick TD from Augustine, who has a lot of lower body quickness for a big guy.  Gets the early lead, but Kharchla shows why he is ranked #4.  Kharchla on top but has to take injury time when he tweaks his knee sliding his leg in on top.  He grits it out for an 11-7 win, but is limping.  

• Fire 1

125 McCrone loses 14-9. Not enough horsepower or facial hair...
133 Bouzakis wins 5-2. Wrestled well.
141 Mendez loses 4-2. Gave up an escape and a TD in about the last ten seconds...
149 D'Emilio comes back to win 13-11.
157 Paddy wins 17-3. One more point would have mattered.
165Wilcox loses 10-2.
174 And...Kharch is hurt. UGH!!! Gonna keep wrestling. On his way to a maj. Holds on to win 11-7.
184 Hoffman loses 11-2. I've seen about enough of his, 'Vision Quest' to be honest...
197 I've been waiting for Geog. Looks like I'm still waiting. Loses 7-1.
285 I believe Misita would have given the Buckeyes a better chance... Swenski loses 12-2.
And the Buckeyes lose the dual. 21-13 PITT wrestled well.

• Fire 2

184 R Heller vs Gavin Hoffman

Heller ranked #20 and won the Clarion Open.  Gets a danger TD after his escape and then holds him there for a 4 point NF, 8-0 lead.  Another counter TD after the escape makes it 11-1.  Final score 12-2 major.  

Match blown open by that 8 point sequence.  Big win for Pitt.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

125 McCrone loses 14-9. Not enough horsepower or facial hair...
133 Bouzakis wins 5-2. Wrestled well.
141 Mendez loses 4-2. Gave up an escape and a TD in about the last ten seconds...
149 D'Emilio comes back to win 13-11.
157 Paddy wins 17-3. One more point would have mattered.
165Wilcox loses 10-2.
174 And...Kharch is hurt. UGH!!! Gonna keep wrestling. On his way to a maj. Holds on to win 11-7.
184 Hoffman loses 11-2. I've seen about enough of his, 'Vision Quest' to be honest...
197 I've been waiting for Geog. Looks like I'm still waiting. Loses 7-1.
285 I believe Misita would have given the Buckeyes a better chance... Swenski loses 12-2.
And the Buckeyes lose the dual. 21-13 PITT wrestled well.

Accurate summary by MPhillips.

Both teams wrestled well.  Shane Sparks focused on how many end of period TDs were scored, which I agree was often the key to the matches.  141 tOSU gave up a lead, but then at 149 Pitt did the same, so those two matches were a wash.  (However, D'Emilio was named OW, so a better win there.)   157-165 trading majors.  Agree that 174 could have easily ended with more points had Kharchla not gotten hurt.  (Announcers used the down time to note that PSU announced that Shayne Van Ness is out for the season with his injury.  Hope Kharchla's is not as serious.)  At 184 RHeller wrestled well, nice to see.  197 looked like two younger guys who were pretty tentative.  At that point, with 285 probably locked for Pitt, Stout simply has to not lose by bonus, which also may have influenced his style, but he pulled out the win nonetheless.  Finally, Pitzer just cruises to the major.  Probably could have gotten the tech or a fall if Pitt had needed the points.  All he needed to do was not get pinned.  

First Pitt dual meet victory over tOSU since 2010, or something like that, when they won in Columbus by one point.  Tim Johnson was shilling for this to become a neighboring state rivalry match every year, which would be great to see.

Pitt now has beaten Maryland, Illinois, and Ohio State from the Big Ten.  Too bad about that loss to Navy earlier in the season.  They are a lot more fun to watch this year than in some year's past.  

• Fire 1