Is Shapiro hurt?

H82Lose

12 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

One was EIWAs, I believe Chris's freshman year. And their trainer (Also Chris) went through the whole process and pulled him in Semis. He was able to get back to NCAAs.

Yes, freshman year.  Got concussed early in his match on 2/6 against O'Malley (Drexel), injury forfeited.  Didn't compete again until the EIWA four weeks later.  Got two MDs, then another concussion in the semis against Incontrera (Penn).  Went 1-2 at NCAAs, clearly not up to his former self.

Pretty sure the two concussions were independent events.

6 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Yes, freshman year.  Got concussed early in his match on 2/6 against O'Malley (Drexel), injury forfeited.  Didn't compete again until the EIWA four weeks later.  Got two MDs, then another concussion in the semis against Incontrera (Penn).  Went 1-2 at NCAAs, clearly not up to his former self.

Pretty sure the two concussions were independent events.

Much easier to get concussed after the first one.  The more you have the easier you get them.

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Then there's no complete "recovery" from a concussion?

There is a lot of info out there.  Some symptoms last for over a year.  Look what happens to most fighter's careers after they get knocked out for the first time.  And then there's CTE. not to mention some other stuff.

Surely you're aware?

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

There is a lot of info out there.  Some symptoms last for over a year.  Look what happens to most fighter's careers after they get knocked out for the first time.  And then there's CTE. not to mention some other stuff.

Surely you're aware?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXidkKOuSxiqOf8mHmzWx

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

NLWC coaches let a clearly concussed Taylor wrestle in World semis and finals.  Of course Taylor wanted to go, and he's an adult, but he wouldn't have been allowed to continue in the NFL.  In fact, he would have been done even in boxing or MMA.

yeah i think the disctinction you made about age, as well as the circumstances, is meaningful.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

yeah i think the disctinction you made about age, as well as the circumstances, is meaningful.

I would have been all in to keep wrestling if I were in his shoes.

That's why the NFL, NHL, MMA, Hockey etc.  all have ways to pull the concussed athlete from competition.  Don't leave it up to him/her or the coaches. 

5 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I would have been all in to keep wrestling if I were in his shoes.

That's why the NFL, NHL, MMA, Hockey etc.  all have ways to pull the concussed athlete from competition.  Don't leave it up to him/her or the coaches. 

this is actually moving into a space where its a deep deep ethical question. If a 10 year old get concussed and want to wrestle, we all say no. If a 30 year old in the olympic finals want to wrestle under similar circumstances, I think most of us would be sympathetic, its a mystery to me where to draw the lines. 

• Fire 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

21 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

this is actually moving into a space where its a deep deep ethical question. If a 10 year old get concussed and want to wrestle, we all say no. If a 30 year old in the olympic finals want to wrestle under similar circumstances, I think most of us would be sympathetic, its a mystery to me where to draw the lines. 

Very true.

When I was a senior in high school, I had a wrestling match against a kid that I later learned was a national level judoka.  (there were some very good judo players in my area) I think he tried the sport for about a month.  Unfortunately the month he tried it, I ended up up being launched and knocked out cold.  I had to be semi-carried to my bench.  I had no idea where I was... actually I KNEW EXACTLY where I was... but I was wrong.

My coach loved me and was a great coach and person.  He had me wrestle the next dual, 90 minutes later.  I lost to some shmuck 7-6.  My coach was a d2 college all-America nose tackle and a d2 national qualifier.  He was old school, and we didn't know any better.

This was almost 40 years ago.  I don't remember any lasting side effects.  I still qualified for MENSA lol.  I ended up having a life changing senior year, that was great for me as a person, a wrestler, a student.  Many of the best things in my life started with my senior year of high school wrestling.

If I were a kid today, I would have been held out for the season and wouldn't have had experienced the tremendous growth that I got from that senior campaign (despite an 0-2 start).

• Fire 1