South Dakota State vs Minnesota

flyingcement

IDK for sure but my guess was checking the minimum weight requirements.  Connor Gaynor is a 165 lbs on the roster but apparently weighed in at about 166 or over, which would make him legal at 184.  You'd think that's something they would have known, but then again you don't see bump-ups in college like you do in high school.

I’m still confused as to how 184 went down in general. Why would SDSU not want to wrestle their best guy against Salazar with the dual well in reach? Why would the gophers have wanted to use McEnelly instead of Salazar against Berge with the dual in reach? Neither side makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I’m still confused as to how 184 went down in general. Why would SDSU not want to wrestle their best guy against Salazar with the dual well in reach? Why would the gophers have wanted to use McEnelly instead of Salazar against Berge with the dual in reach? Neither side makes sense to me.

I don't think either Berge or Salazar are 100% healthy.  Coaches playing mind games with each other.

1 hour ago, MNRodent said:

IDK for sure but my guess was checking the minimum weight requirements.  Connor Gaynor is a 165 lbs on the roster but apparently weighed in at about 166 or over, which would make him legal at 184.  You'd think that's something they would have known, but then again you don't see bump-ups in college like you do in high school.

There is no minimum weight stipulation in college as there is in HS with the exception of 285 which has a minimum of 183.

45 minutes ago, Gantry said:

This is the new normal, most duals have one at least one of the top matchups not happen.   It's actually more surprising if all the top head-to-heads take place in a dual nowadays. 

To be fair, neither Berge or Carlson have wrestled a match yet this season.  So does not fit the "duck" definition.

In their 30 seconds of MN/SDSU coverage, Pyles just said that SDSU almost pulled an upset, yet every rating service (Flo, Coaches poll, Intermat, MatScouts crystal ball) has SDSU higher than Minnesota.  He then says if Berge and Carlson wrestle it would be different, although Berge and Carlson both lost to the guys who went for Minnesota (Salazar and VomBaur) yesterday.

Minnesota had 5 guys transfer that are starting for other D1 programs (Spratley, Jamison, Polanco, Kluever, Carlson) and yet they are still a solid team that doesn't get much media coverage.  At least CP didn't go into his "Fargo" accent when talking about Minnesota, like he usually does.

• Fire 5

Just my 2 cents here but IMO Salazar hits the transfer portal after this season. I bet McEnelly is in his league currently. I do think he’s better than Gavin Nelson though, who I think is better than Tabor. I would like to see 184 McEnelly 197 Salazar and Hwt Nelson next year. Otherwise I see Salazar going home to Northern Colorado

9 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

For the same reason SDSU used Berge last year against Salazar when they had King (a ranked Wrestler) as their starter.  You get to see what you have in a true freshman without any real repercussions if your TF loses.  Not a lot of downside to it. 

4 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Just my 2 cents here but IMO Salazar hits the transfer portal after this season. I bet McEnelly is in his league currently. I do think he’s better than Gavin Nelson though, who I think is better than Tabor. I would like to see 184 McEnelly 197 Salazar and Hwt Nelson next year. Otherwise I see Salazar going home to Northern Colorado

I could see this happening. Salazar gets great grades and will probably graduate this spring.  I'd like to see him bump up to 197 for one year for the Gophers and let Nelson develop, and then start the next 3 years.

I could see this happening. Salazar gets great grades and will probably graduate this spring.  I'd like to see him bump up to 197 for one year for the Gophers and let Nelson develop, and then start the next 3 years.

I wouldn’t mind this but if Nelson doesn’t start for 4 years, he’s gone.

I think there’s a chance Salazar is done after graduating.