What is at stake this year (2023/24 edition)?

Wrestleknownothing

I usually wait until the first of November for this, but will be traveling a bit before then so here goes.

As always I invite anyone to add to the list. This is just the stuff I remember.

• For the second year in a row we have the chance to see two more four timers. And hopefully, this time we will.
  • Pat Smith, Cael Sanderson, Kyle Dake, Logan Steiber, Yianni Diakomihalis, and....
  • Aaron Brooks goes for title number four. If he gets it where does he rank among the all-time greats? What about among the all-time greats at PSU?
  • Before you answer that question remember that Carter Starocci is also going for his fourth this year (maybe on his way to five?). 
  • Keegan O'Toole's drive for four is still intact as well with two in the bag (along with a runner-up) and two to go if he wants to use all his years. I think O'Toole is the only one who has a shot at their third this year.

• OSU ended ASU's four year rule over the PAC12 (4? 2? 0?). Can they take the final (?) title in conference history?
  • NC State ruled the roost in the ACC for the sixth straight year. Can they make it lucky number seven?
  • Over in the SoCon App State ended Campbell's five year run at the top. Can they start a streak of their own?
  • Cornell is looking for their fourth consecutive EIWA title.
  • Missouri took their second consecutive Big12 title, can they make it three (and lucky thirteenth in a row across all conferences)?
  • Lock Haven looks to lock up their third MAC title in a row.

• Vito Arujau has a chance to climb into the top 50 all-time NCAA tournament scorers. Sitting at 55 points he would need 23.5 points to make it into a tie for number 50 on the list.
Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 4

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

11 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I usually wait until the first of November for this, but will be traveling a bit before then so here goes.

As always I invite anyone to add to the list. This is just the stuff I remember.

• For the second year in a row we have the chance to see two more four timers. And hopefully, this time we will.
  • Pat Smith, Cael Sanderson, Kyle Dake, Logan Steiber, Yianni Diakomihalis, and....
  • Aaron Brooks goes for title number four. If he gets it where does he rank among the all-time greats? What about among the all-time greats at PSU?
  • Before you answer that question remember that Carter Starocci is also going for his fourth this year (maybe on his way to five?). 
  • Keegan O'Toole's drive for four is still intact as well with two in the bag (along with a runner-up) and two to go if he wants to use all his years. I think O'Toole is the only one who has a shot at their third this year.

• OSU ended ASU's four year rule over the PAC12 (4? 2? 0?). Can they take the final (?) title in conference history?
  • NC State ruled the roost in the ACC for the sixth straight year. Can they make it lucky number seven?
  • Over in the SoCon App State ended Campbell's five year run at the top. Can they start a streak of their own?
  • Cornell is looking for their fourth consecutive EIWA title.
  • Missouri took their second consecutive Big12 title, can they make it three (and lucky thirteenth in a row across all conferences)?
  • Lock Haven looks to lock up their third MAC title in a row.

• Vito Arujau has a chance to climb into the top 50 all-time NCAA tournament scorers. Sitting at 55 points he would need 23.5 points to make it into a tie for number 50 on the list.

Two 1st's and a 3rd for KOT.

• Fire 2

17 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

OSU ended ASU's four year rule over the PAC12 (4? 2? 0?). Can they take the final (?) title in conference history

Cal Poly helped in the dual portion.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Them there UNI Panthers is going to be a buzzsaw, with the guarantee of another national champion. 

Nothing else matters,  except that Stanford and ISU do well,  and the  Sqwawkers pee all over themselves. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Some other things to look out for:

• Penn State is chasing history.  With nobody well positioned to challenge them, they have a chance to put together the most dominant season in NCAA history.  They have a real chance at 10 AA's and 4+ champs.  Doubt they will lose more than 2 matches in any dual. 170+ points isn't at all out of the question if they're healthy.  

• John Smith on the way out?  His apparent successor has been selected and brought back to Stillwater.  How long is he going to stick around?  Will Oklahoma State be competitive?  They have the recruiting class in house... does he stay through their tenure or hand the keys over sooner rather than later...

• Daton Fix chasing the elusive title.  Fix has gone 2,2,2,4.  Vito looks unstoppable at the moment.  If Fix takes another 2nd, I think he has to go into the book as the best to never win one.  He's already in the conversation.

• The NIL era truly begins.   Massive transfer movement taking place across the sport.  Iowa and Michigan heavy with transfers.  PSU dropping a bag to fill their 1 hole.  Expect we will see even more movement going forward.
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:
  • The NIL era truly begins.   Massive transfer movement taking place across the sport.  Iowa and Michigan heavy with transfers.  PSU dropping a bag to fill their 1 hole.  Expect we will see even more movement going forward.

- They filled two (2) holes well and proper. 
- Technically three (3) holes have been filled via Transfer. 
- Potentially four (4) holes may be fililed before the end of the year
- Possible for five (5) holes to have been filled if injuries hit a certain shoulderless 125lber.

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

- They filled two (2) holes well and proper. 
- Technically three (3) holes have been filled via Transfer. 
- Potentially four (4) holes may be fililed before the end of the year
- Possible for five (5) holes to have been filled if injuries hit a certain shoulderless 125lber.

Brain fart on my part.  Was just thinking about Truax, forgot about Nagao. 

Mesenbrink I wasn't figuring into the lineup.  Kerk old news and pre-NIL so slightly different.  McHenry I just don't think is good.  

3 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Brain fart on my part.  Was just thinking about Truax, forgot about Nagao. 

Mesenbrink I wasn't figuring into the lineup.  Kerk old news and pre-NIL so slightly different.  McHenry I just don't think is good.  

Mesenbrink has certified already, so I believe an Olyshirt is out.  Both Haines and Mesenbrink certified between 157.1 and 165.0 for their weigh-in.  That means they are both under 165.0 already.  If one 'shirts, I believe it will be Haines.

McHenry is a more-than-capable insurance policy.  He is the immediate option of Howard goes down with an injury (again).

Kerk is still a transfer and adds to the 'who has more transfers' talk.

13 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Mesenbrink has certified already, so I believe an Olyshirt is out.  Both Haines and Mesenbrink certified between 157.1 and 165.0 for their weigh-in.  That means they are both under 165.0 already.  If one 'shirts, I believe it will be Haines.

McHenry is a more-than-capable insurance policy.  He is the immediate option of Howard goes down with an injury (again).

Kerk is still a transfer and adds to the 'who has more transfers' talk.

Interesting re: Haines/Mesenbrink.  Certainly makes a ton of sense to redshirt Haines.  Couldn't Facundo also take an Olympic shirt if he wanted?

McHenry I just don't think is a point scorer at NCAA's.  

2 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Interesting re: Haines/Mesenbrink.  Certainly makes a ton of sense to redshirt Haines.  Couldn't Facundo also take an Olympic shirt if he wanted?

McHenry I just don't think is a point scorer at NCAA's.  

He also certified, meaning he is enrolled (assumption?).

McHenry is right in the thick of R12/R16/NQ gents.  He has the results to show that.

He is just a little guy.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

McHenry is right in the thick of R12/R16/NQ gents.  He has the results to show that.

He is just a little guy.

Sure, he can qualify for NCAA's, I just meant that he wouldn't be a meaningful contributor to their point total.  

Re: certification meaning no redshirt--can someone confirm that is the case?  I think that might be specific to Ivy league, but also not remembering the particulars of those rules clearly.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie

40 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Sure, he can qualify for NCAA's, I just meant that he wouldn't be a meaningful contributor to their point total.  

Re: certification meaning no redshirt--can someone confirm that is the case?  I think that might be specific to Ivy league, but also not remembering the particulars of those rules clearly.  

For Olyshirt I thought they couldn't be enrolled, period.  I assumed (keep in mind how you spell ass u me) that if they certified with the team it meant they were enrolled.