Reminder - mat side weigh ins are the way to go

Dark Energy

I'm all for trying mat side in a dual meet, it needs to be a high profile important dual to have any meaning. However, this being the College board, where is the evidence that the current system is not working?  Its been asked at least 3 times and ... 🦗 

2 hours ago, ionel said:

I'm all for trying mat side in a dual meet, it needs to be a high profile important dual to have any meaning. However, this being the College board, where is the evidence that the current system is not working?  Its been asked at least 3 times and ... 🦗 

Of course, this is anecdotal, but just the responses from the coaches on this board show that wrestlers are still focused on being at lower weight classes and it would be difficult for them to maintain their weight throughout a tournament.

In addition, almost everyone who has wrestled knows how crappy it is to try to loss/maintain your weight during wrestling season. Beside the unhealthy dehydration/starvation practices, just being constantly focused on your diet and trying to drop a few pounds when you are already in really good shape is no fun.

TBH, there is an old school part of me that wants kids today to show the same dedication I did and SUFFER.  I also honestly feel there is value for a middle class kid who never will face food insecurity to experience what t like to go to bed hungry.  But the down to earth sane part o me knows that this is not good for the sport or the wrestlers.

Finally, I know that this is the college section, but I am generalizing for the sport. I will not assume that this makes sense for elite D1 wrestlers, but even most college wrestlers would have a much better experience if they did not have to focus on weight. I also feel that there is large  population of wrestlers who might have considered college wrestling but hated the weight management part so much that they passed on college wrestling.