Israel Attacked

Bigbrog

3 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Congratulations. You should sleep well tonight. 

Everything else aside,

I would hope you don't think it's OK to "warp" clearly written words into something other than they are.

You made a mistake. We all make mistakes. Obviously not a big deal.

No need to take a dig at me - that was rude... you don't have to admit it, just let it go.

1 minute ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Nah I’ll just take the L and let you continue on with Uncle B. You bore me quickly.  Night night sweetie. 

You bore me quickly = I’m gone cause you’re kicking my ass 

• Stalling 1

12 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Everything else aside,

I would hope you don't think it's OK to "warp" clearly written words into something other than they are.

No need to take a dig at me - that was rude... you don't have to admit it, just let it go.

Look up the definition of semantics and then come and talk to me about my mistakes. 

7 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

What happens when Israel says it’s peace time and Hamas says it’s war time? I doubt Hamas considered it “peace time” while under blockade prior to 10/7. 

The US might think we aren’t at war, but the yemenis we’re bombing definitely do. Your term seems pretty useless here. 

FFS, I already covered this in a previous post AND posted that fact again for you to reference. Read the damn thread.

Peace time is all of the time when not at war. Nobody has to declare peace time.

(Think pregnancy, you can declare that you are pregnant but there's no need to declare you aren't pregnant.)

Worst part of your post:

"Your term" in reference to a dictionary word that is clearly defined.

It's not my term, dummy. It's an actual word in the dictionary with an actual clear definition. Look it up.

Perhaps the term you are searching for is "Conflict", that's a better fit (which I also already posted earlier.)

All we have to communicate here is words. The least you can try to do is use them properly and not try to force your own personal definition on words that are already clearly defined.

I'll assist with the definition if you don't want to look it up yourself (which I also already posted earlier):

peace-time (noun)
  1. a period when a country is not at war

15 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Look up the definition of semantics and then come and talk to me about my mistakes. 

As I've posted at least (3) times now. It isn't semantics, because the definition of the word is 100% clear.

peace-time (noun)

It's not a gray area, it's not fuzzy, it's not subject to interpretation. It is clear.

Don't let your emotions get the better of you and lower you to the level of some other knot heads here.

You know better. If you desperately need to not let it go... then keep arguing against the dictionary.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

As I've posted at least (3) times now. It isn't semantics, because the definition of the word is 100% clear.

peace-time (noun)

It's not a gray area, it's not fuzzy, it's not subject to interpretation. It is clear.

Don't let your emotions get the better of you and lower you to the level of some of some other knot heads here.

You know better. If you desperately need to not let it go... then keep arguing against the dictionary.

Apologies if I wasn’t clear…I’m not arguing.  I was making a request/suggestion. (Along with offering congratulations in the previous post). You’re not required to take me up on it.  

PS- was the underlining for you….or me?

2 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Apologies if I wasn’t clear…I’m not arguing.  I was making a request/suggestion. (Along with offering congratulations in the previous post). You’re not required to take me up on it.  

PS- was the underlining for you….or me?

I didn't need to look up "semantics", because I'm quite familiar with the word. And then I talked to you about your mistakes.

Just as you suggested.

Your "was the underlining for you...or me?" comment? That is a strange comment. It was obviously for you. 

If you're trying to be snarky, you're doing it poorly.

We all make mistakes. Just let it go. Following it up with snark is a terrible look. Don't be that guy. (Seriously.)

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I didn't need to look up "semantics", because I'm quite familiar with the word. And then I talked to you about your mistakes.

Just as you suggested.

Your "was the underlining for you...or me?" comment? That is a strange comment. It was obviously for you. 

If you're trying to be snarky, you're doing it poorly.

We all make mistakes. Just let it go. Following it up with snark is a terrible look. Don't be that guy. (Seriously.)

Thanks. If there’s a charge send me a bill, if that was a free service…you’re too kind. 

Anything else you need to cover? 

7 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Thanks. If there’s a charge send me a bill, if that was a free service…you’re too kind. 

Anything else you need to cover? 

No. I'd like to be done here.

(I've argued against Trump supporters with their 'alternative facts'... never against 'alternative definitions'. Both suck.) 

2 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

No. I'd like to be done here.

(I've argued against Trump supporters with their 'alternative facts'... never against 'alternative definitions'. Both suck.) 

Maybe your issue to address is locating where I argued that you were narrowing in on the exact definition, and your understanding of the term ‘semantics’. 

Sweet dreams. 

1 minute ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Maybe your issue to address is locating where I argued that you were narrowing in on the exact definition, and your understanding of the term ‘semantics’. 

Sweet dreams. 

No issues.

"Sweet dreams" = means you're saying you lost the argument and that you're an idiot.

You may think it means something else - but that's just "semantics", right?

Semantics, look it up. You may need a refresher before you try to use that word again.

[Yes - sarcasm]

6 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

No issues.

"Sweet dreams" = means you're saying you lost the argument and that you're an idiot.

You may think it means something else - but that's just "semantics", right?

Semantics, look it up. You may need a refresher before you try to use that word again.

[Yes - sarcasm]

And when you reach the point of needing to do the name calling (pretty sure I’ve seen more than one of your lectures on that topic around here), particularly with more of that fancy underlining…what does that mean? 

First I offer you congratulations, then I offer a friendly departure…and you want to call me an idiot.  I would have thought a high level communicator could have done better. 

We all have our disappointments…

Edited by WrestlingRasta

Just now, WrestlingRasta said:

And when you reach the point of needing to do the name calling (pretty sure I’ve seen more than one of your lectures on that topic around here)….what does that mean? 

First I offer you congratulations, then I offer a friendly departure…and you want to call me an idiot.  I would have thought a high level communicator could have done better. 

We all have our disappointments…

No name calling by me.

Reading comprehension is always a problem here - even among good posters like yourself.

READ IT AGAIN.

I did not call you an idiot. I provided an alternative definition (as you've been doing for a few pages.)

Per the alternative definition, you'd be the one calling yourself an idiot.

Go ahead, read it again.

I'm just playing Defense here. You seem to be fixated on trying to win some silly internet argument against the dictionary that you are completely wrong on.

Get over it. Or just keep playing Offense.

13 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Everything else aside,

I think what @WrestlingRasta and I would say is you're missing the forest for the trees. Are you right about the narrow technical definition of "peace time?" Sure. Is that definition a useful way for understanding the situation? No.

The attack on 10/7 wasn't an end to any sort of meaningful "peace" even if Israel would have considered itself in "peace time" (though the Palestinians certainly didn't). Rather, it was one event within a larger conflict that has been ongoing for 80 years. 

I'm not sure what you think the technical definition of "peace time" adds to the conversation or aids in understanding anything.

11 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

I think what @WrestlingRasta and I would say is you're missing the forest for the trees. Are you right about the narrow technical definition of "peace time?" Sure. Is that definition a useful way for understanding the situation? No.

The attack on 10/7 wasn't an end to any sort of meaningful "peace" even if Israel would have considered itself in "peace time" (though the Palestinians certainly didn't). Rather, it was one event within a larger conflict that has been ongoing for 80 years. 

I'm not sure what you think the technical definition of "peace time" adds to the conversation or aids in understanding anything.

Your reply is welcome. Open and honest discourse is always welcome.

Yes, I'm sure about the very specific definition of "peacetime" I'm 100% sure of that - it isn't arguable. Glad you agree.

That definition may not be "a useful way for understanding" in terms of what you think might be useful. But, nonetheless, the definition won't change based on your perspective. The definition is etched in stone.

Let's get to what's useful:

The "attack" on 10/7 was exactly that. Agreed that the ongoing conflict didn't include 'peace' prior to the attack for many years. But the 10/7 attack was so awful, horrible, horrific, and terrible that I couldn't possibly run out of negative adjectives.

The 10/7 attack was the spark that lit the current fire. The fire that led Israel to declare war.

Does Hamas consider it peacetime? Doesn't matter a single bit. War has been declared on them for their actions.

I'm not sure why you want to quibble with the definition of 'peacetime' when it is already in Webster's big book.