Cornell Schedule 2023-24

nhs67

17 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes... but I'm talking about his walking around weight.  It's not like he wakes up weighing 135 lbs on a typical October Friday morning.

Some guys cut a lot of weight.  Some don't.  It is hard to tell.

I believe at NCAAs when he was 125 he brushed off a comment in an interview that it was weight-cut related, saying that Glory probably had at least five pounds on him.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, nhs67 said:

I believe at NCAAs when he was 125 he brushed off a comment in an interview that it was weight-cut related, saying that Glory probably had at least five pounds on him.

Glory was a big boy, too.

One of my son's club coaches was a Cornell guy.  I honestly do not know if it is hyperbole, but I have been told there are days where Vito was heavier than Yianni.

• Fire 1

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Glory was a big boy, too.

One of my son's club coaches was a Cornell guy.  I honestly do not know if it is hyperbole, but I have been told there are days where Vito was heavier than Yianni.

They did compete against each other at 138 before, didn't they?  I wouldn't doubt it.  One of the big reasons I think it is a different animal is that they are quite different.  Arujau's style is very speed dependent to be his truly elite self - as evident by his tear the last seven months.  Johnny D is a funkmaster with elastic tendons.  Different animals.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Flo posted video from Belgrade that showed Vito with a sweatshirt covered by a plastic shirt, putting on *another* sweatshirt.  Not to mention the multiple plastic hoods.  Whatever water weight he needed to lose didn't seem to affect him, however.

• Fire 2

Just now, nhs67 said:

They did compete against each other at 138 before, didn't they?  I wouldn't doubt it.  One of the big reasons I think it is a different animal is that they are quite different.  Arujau's style is very speed dependent to be his truly elite self - as evident by his tear the last seven months.  Johnny D is a funkmaster with elastic tendons.  Different animals.

I think Vito was a weight above Yianni as high school seniors?

• Fire 1

Just now, BigRedFan said:

Flo posted video from Belgrade that showed Vito with a sweatshirt covered by a plastic shirt, putting on *another* sweatshirt.  Not to mention the multiple plastic hoods.  Whatever water weight he needed to lose didn't seem to affect him, however.

And that is when making ~134.5lbs.

Can you pull some strings and get this guy to go 65 KG for us?  He techfelled a guy at Worlds that techfelled our 65 KG rep at a tournament a couple months prior to Worlds.

6 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Misleading: Yianni, Vito, and Teemer agreed to go different weights so each could win a state title.

Not misleading. Vito wrestled at a higher weight than Yianni.

Why was Vito at 138 and Yianni at 132?

(and did they all wrestle for AWA?)

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

• 4 months later...
On 10/5/2023 at 8:38 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I can only make it down to Raleigh for one February dual.  Still deciding between Cornell on 2/17 or Vtech the next week.  Cornell has some studs that I want to see, but the Wolfpack/Hokies rivalry is always electric!

On 10/5/2023 at 10:48 AM, BigRedFan said:

Shapiro is still going to be an eighteen (or maybe nineteen) year old kid, his results notwithstanding.

Any special reason Vito doesn't make the trip to North Carolina?  If he doesn't wrestle 133 at any time, it is likely Ethan Fernandez who would go.  Greg D. and Ungar are too small to go 133, IMO.

I thought the special wrestle offs would keep him out.  That's not the case, but I also had a pretty good idea that Vito wouldn't be making the trip, and he isn't.  Looks like a "pitch count" situation.