Gibson Brothers commit to Penn State

Jimmy Cinnabon

Just now, 1032004 said:

Huh?

I *think* he's suggesting that Erik never actually got accepted at Cornell.  Just because you are a great wrestler, you committed to Cornell, and are training at Spartan RTC, it doesn't mean you got accepted.  Not every recruit gets accepted, despite what the Lehigh fans think.

It may have nothing to do with academics, and everything to do with Cael and Penn State and "the room."

1 hour ago, BigRedFan said:

I *think* he's suggesting that Erik never actually got accepted at Cornell.  Just because you are a great wrestler, you committed to Cornell, and are training at Spartan RTC, it doesn't mean you got accepted.  Not every recruit gets accepted, despite what the Lehigh fans think.

It may have nothing to do with academics, and everything to do with Cael and Penn State and "the room."

Ah, got ya.  Although I would doubt that’d be the case at least for Erik who has claimed to have gotten a “full ride for academics” to Cornell - https://www.federationforchildren.org/voices-for-choice/erik-gibson/

Although is he there now or TC3?  Can you get an academic scholarship 2 years in advance?

Regardless, my guess is Mason really wanted to go to PSU and they were a package deal.

1 hour ago, Wrestej said:

Given the choice between both degrees I would think Cornell carries a bit more weight.

That is if you care about your degree.  See Dean, Max.  Also, those on the PSU forum will argue vociferously how a Penn State graduate is superior to an Ivy League graduate.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Ah, got ya.  Although I would doubt that’d be the case at least for Erik who has claimed to have gotten a “full ride for academics” to Cornell - https://www.federationforchildren.org/voices-for-choice/erik-gibson/

Although is he there now or TC3?  Can you get an academic scholarship 2 years in advance?

Regardless, my guess is Mason really wanted to go to PSU and they were a package deal.

There's no such thing as an "academic full ride" at Ivy League schools, as aid is need-based.  He might have qualified for some academic scholarship outside of Cornell, but Cornell ain't providing it.

From cornell.edu:

Cornell awards financial aid on the basis of demonstrated need. We do not offer aid based on academics, athletic ability, or any other talent. 

22 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

That is if you care about your degree.  See Dean, Max.  Also, those on the PSU forum will argue vociferously how a Penn State graduate is superior to an Ivy League graduate.

Penn State people can argue all they want but an Ivy degree has far more value, but to each their own.  As for if you care about a degree, why else would you go to University.  That is exactly what it is for, higher learning.  If you just want to wrestle how about any RTC or OTC.  Worked for Cejudo.

Edited by Wrestej

2 minutes ago, Wrestej said:

Penn State people can argue all they want but an Ivy degree has far more value, but to each their own.

They all cite anecdotal evidence about PSU graduates who have more common sense, know the value of hard work, etc.  They assume all Ivy Leaguers are elite, ivory tower types who were born on second (or third) base.

32 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

There's no such thing as an "academic full ride" at Ivy League schools, as aid is need-based.  He might have qualified for some academic scholarship outside of Cornell, but Cornell ain't providing it.

From cornell.edu:

Ah didn’t know that, thanks.  IIRC (could be wrong), there was a newspaper article where Erik said he was “offered a full ride” to Cornell by Koll (although I think it was later edited).  I would assume for Koll to know that going in it would have had to have been based on family income anyway.

But, I’d still put my money on Mason just really wanted to go to PSU and Erik wanted to be with him.

Edited by 1032004

8 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

They all cite anecdotal evidence about PSU graduates who have more common sense, know the value of hard work, etc.  They assume all Ivy Leaguers are elite, ivory tower types who were born on second (or third) base.

Ya.  Might be a little merit in their argument with the elite claim.  Ivy degree still superior.  I would of like to had either one I went to HKU.

1 hour ago, Wrestej said:

Penn State people can argue all they want but an Ivy degree has far more value, but to each their own.  As for if you care about a degree, why else would you go to University.  That is exactly what it is for, higher learning.  If you just want to wrestle how about any RTC or OTC.  Worked for Cejudo.

I work with someone who went to Bucknell (I realize, not Ivy, but costs just as much) for an education degree.  I went to Kutztown for mine.  All depends on what you are studying, I suppose.