Is 57KG now wide open for the Olympics?

With Thomas Gilman losing the first time since 2021 and even still that being a NLWC event, does this open up the opportunity for guys like Spencer, Suriano, Vito, Daton and others to win the Olympic trials since Gilman has to go through the gauntlet as well? (especially if Richards doesn't sit in the finals)

Edited by Masonbuckeye

To answer your question, yes it will make it easier for other guys to beat him now that he too will have to go through the bracket and not sit in the finals. I THINK Gilman will be fine, I haven't gone back and rewatched any matches from Final X but my knee jerk reaction was that Gilman lost himself the match with some bizarre strategy. Just seemed to shoot and give up a go behind when there was no reason to.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, LJB said:

as an aside...

big props to zane for handling his business...

but...

i have never seen gillman look that bad in the face... so gaunt and drained...

something looked off...

He’s 29 (so is Richards) and that might as well be 89 years in career 57kg guys. Most can’t even hold it more than three years in college. Might have been a tougher cut than years past?

Or maybe there is something in the water at Champaign-Urbana. I’ll go with the latter.

i am an idiot on the internet

What is interesting is that Arujau might be sitting out to the semifinals.  I don't think criteria for Olympic Trials has been released yet, but that is what it was last year.

If that is the case, then we wouldn't have a full bracket.  We'd have a goofy one where Arujau would get the '2' Seed spot.  As of now, I think that puts him on the same side as Gilman, too, right?  1 - Richards, 2 - Gilman?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

28 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

He’s 29 (so is Richards) and that might as well be 89 years in career 57kg guys. Most can’t even hold it more than three years in college. Might have been a tougher cut than years past?

Or maybe there is something in the water at Champaign-Urbana. I’ll go with the latter.

All true…

losing half a step is out of the game for us midges…

Still, just looking at his face took me aback a little…

Never saw him look that bad…

he took the mat… no excuses…

22 minutes ago, LJB said:

All true…

losing half a step is out of the game for us midges…

Still, just looking at his face took me aback a little…

Never saw him look that bad…

he took the mat… no excuses…

Remember, part of his "NLWC resurgence" was to let himself get heavy in the offseason. 

Also wrestled overseas at 61kg in his most recent tourney.  Somewhat disastrously, I may add.  (Supposedly has considered going 61 full time)

Still the pundits picking him talked about "how great he looked this year."  Not sure what they were talking about.  

P.S. Not to mention reports coming out of the OTC that he has recently refused to go par terre with a high school aged Greco kid!