Come on, Flow. You're not even trying now.

i have defended flo for years on these silly bbs'...

i am exhausted over it...

and the reality is they offer me nothing personally except a stream

which i still rarely have any issues with...

but...

this feels pretty weak given the circumstances...

39 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Sometimes you pull the wrong column for the query, weird though that they pulled a parent's name though. 

This implies that they're writing new SQL for each event?

I'm not sure that's any better.

Why are some of the entries correct?

Why hasn't this been corrected in over a day?

Edited by Mike Parrish
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

You and I both know they're using Google Sheets with some faulty macros they copy-pasted from a google search

• Haha 2

i am an idiot on the internet

No clue exactly, but a couple possibilities.

My guess would be for the ones that have issues they pulled info from an event and pulled the wrong name column. For other events they pulled the correct name column. It's a common mistake, just usually you get it fixed before too many people see it.

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

You and I both know they're using Google Sheets with some faulty macros they copy-pasted from a google search

I'm guessing most of the FloBros cannot utilize a macro and barely can use an XLookup or Sum function.

• Fire 1

50 minutes ago, BobDole said:

I'm guessing most of the FloBros cannot utilize a macro and barely can use an XLookup or Sum function.

Anyone who knows xlookup instead of index/match knows what they're talking about in my book 👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Anyone who knows xlookup instead of index/match knows what they're talking about in my book 👍

Maybe I should edit my comment, they can probably barely use the sum function. XLookup is much more complicated and requires a little more knowledge than what you get in a basic computer class.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

xlookup is the line of demarcartion?

i am feeling pretty good about myself suddenly...

57 minutes ago, BobDole said:

It's a common mistake

The consistent gripe of Flo is that there is an abundance of common mistakes. An occasional mistake happens; a pattern of mistakes speaks to incompetence; a pattern of incompetence speaks to negligence. Publicizing their technical road map with sprint release dates would go a LONG way to regaining trust imo. People don't need to see the inner workings of their product ops org but a little transparency would go a very long way.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, LJB said:

xlookup is the line of demarcartion?

i am feeling pretty good about myself suddenly...

You would be surprised at the volume of fresh grads who try to label themselves as "junior data scientist" that can't complete basic business Excel functions, much less write complex strings, and think because they learned the same 10 python hacks everyone knows that they are god's gift to earth until 60 ear old Janet from accounting puts the screws to them. It's kind of like letting the top freshman recruit work out with the grad assistant and today we're working on stand ups.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

You would be surprised at the volume of fresh grads who try to label themselves as "junior data scientist" that can't complete basic business Excel functions, much less write complex strings, and think because they learned the same 10 python hacks everyone knows that they are god's gift to earth until 60 ear old Janet from accounting puts the screws to them. It's kind of like letting the top freshman recruit work out with the grad assistant and today we're working on stand ups.

i know probably 3% of excel and that probably makes me an "expert"...

and at least once a month a lose hours of work by forgetting to save my csv as a damn xlsx...

hollywood data GIF

Maybe they should follow Twitter’s lead and release all their code and let the public find and point out the errors… maybe a sort of bounty program exchanging subscription credits for providing bug fixes.

I mean, that would be admitting faults and being proactive instead of ignoring them, making excuses and blaming others.

10 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The consistent gripe of Flo is that there is an abundance of common mistakes. An occasional mistake happens; a pattern of mistakes speaks to incompetence; a pattern of incompetence speaks to negligence. Publicizing their technical road map with sprint release dates would go a LONG way to regaining trust imo. People don't need to see the inner workings of their product ops org but a little transparency would go a very long way.

I'm not concerned about the mistake, it's moreso seeing that a mistake was made and fixing it ASAP. Their site is basically a custom Wordpress site with nothing spectacular. It looks like they are adding some custom tables for wrestler profiles with results and such. <sarcasm>I would have no idea where they would get that idea.</sarcasm> 

Last year I was randomly selected to go over things I liked and disliked on their website. I also got to preview potential future enhancements. One of the best things was seeing a page that looked VERY similar to a page on another website. It was an interesting process especially because I'm a poweruser of TrackWrestling.

14 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

You think their development work is organized? Around sprints?

It's much more likely they don't have a Jira board or confluence or any sort of automation or support for engineering.
If I were betting, it's a sea of aging post-it notes pasted to the side of one engineer's desktop box.

• Haha 2

If I were betting, it's a sea of aging post-it notes pasted to the side of one engineer's desktop box.

post-it notes are not a valid form of flow charting anymore????

200.gif?cid=84249e853gqi9muagcdrp0xgf491 

• Fire 1

Hey, now… You’re describing my office… so many post it notes. 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, DJT said:

Maybe they should follow Twitter’s lead and release all their code and let the public find and point out the errors… maybe a sort of bounty program exchanging subscription credits for providing bug fixes.

I mean, that would be admitting faults and being proactive instead of ignoring them, making excuses and blaming others.

Their code is fine....well the main website code is fine. The streaming stuff is a whole other topic.

8 minutes ago, BobDole said:

I'm not concerned about the mistake, it's moreso seeing that a mistake was made and fixing it ASAP.

Do we know they saw it?  Most of them don't like message boards and I feel like I haven't seen Spey around here in awhile

Just now, 1032004 said:

Do we know they saw it?  Most of them don't like message boards and I feel like I haven't seen Spey around here in awhile

Oh they are lurking, I'm guessing Spey is here somewhere. He is a messageboard hero and just is in disguise. I'll snuff him out soon enough though. The talking heads though probably aren't able to update wrestler profiles as they can barely copy and paste from Word into the articles.

1 minute ago, BobDole said:

Their code is fine....well the main website code is fine. The streaming stuff is a whole other topic.

I was referring to Arena.. which is ducking terrible. Perhaps not even at a code level (outside of what was pointed out here), but from an intuitive usage sense.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, BobDole said:

Oh they are lurking, I'm guessing Spey is here somewhere. He is a messageboard hero and just is in disguise. I'll snuff him out soon enough though. The talking heads though probably aren't able to update wrestler profiles as they can barely copy and paste from Word into the articles.

Jesus christ call the coroner and tell 'em we need body bags from the surrounding counties

• Haha 2