Can Levi Haines realistically win NCAAs this year?

2 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I've been holding out but I think it's officially time to hop on the bandwagon. 

Yes, he has a realistic chance of winning it all. I would still favor O'Conner at this point though. 

I'm deeply intrigued by a Haines-Andonian match-up.

Yeah, this is a typical Jimmy thread.

I agree. He obviously has a chance to win it. 

I watched him last year and predicted he would(after he broke out and had a great Sr year competing in opens) take a Mark Hall route as a Freshmen. It's hardly a given, but I can't back off that now.

I think he can win it and will win it. He's just so good at sucking in that single when he's kinda extended, it reminds me a bit of Askren. He's not the strongest looking kid, but the back and shoulders must be pretty damn strong.

If he ends up losing the 5th place match to Robb or Scott, I would hardly be shocked, but as the likely #2 seed, I like his odds. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

My point is arguing that there should be different rules for the edge of the mat and the rest of the mat is silly and stupid, when Robb clearly had one or two feet in bounds the entire time.

My point is saying, 'what if this was in a different part of the mat where the action would be different,' is silly and stupid...and utterly pointless. 

It wasn't in the Middle, it was on the edge and I have no idea if Haines could have gotten the wizard in and gotten his hip out and leg out if it was in the Middle. Probably not. But staying in bounds is part of control. 

But this ain't my hill. I THOUGHT this was meant to be a thread about Levi Haines chances to win an NC Title. 

Answer-Yes. He has a very realistic chance. 

2 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah, this is a typical Jimmy thread.

I agree. He obviously has a chance to win it. 

I watched him last year and predicted he would(after he broke out and had a great Sr year competing in opens) take a Mark Hall route as a Freshmen. It's hardly a given, but I can't back off that now.

I think he can win it and will win it. He's just so good at sucking in that single when he's kinda extended, it reminds me a bit of Askren. He's not the strongest looking kid, but the back and shoulders must be pretty damn strong.

If he ends up losing the 5th place match to Robb or Scott, I would hardly be shocked, but as the likely #2 seed, I like his odds. 

I thought Haines resembled Jason Welch in many ways until he launched Robb yesterday. That was a surprise to see.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Just answer the question directly please.  It sounds like you are saying you would call no take down in this hypo where Robb has both ankles and Haines falls directly on his butt with 0:01 on the clock.

There was no control. Do you understand that rule or not? 

17 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

We both agree it is not a great rule. You feel a good official ignores the rule as written, where I say a good official follows the rule as written until it is changed.

The rule is not written as clear as you keep asserting (and I have never stated a rule should be ignored). 

The takedown rule has subjectively in the definition of reaction time.  We just disagree on the application of the subjectivity.