Nebraska vs Arizona St.

Mr. PeanutButter

2 hours ago, NearFall said:

Thanks for your thoughts on this.   I guess whether or not Emilio competes at the 2023 PAC 12 tournament depends on whether Vasquez returns to the lineup or not.  After all EY has wrestled in 12 matches this year and if he does compete again this season he can always use his RS year later some time if need be.

I was also wondering if Ysaguirre might be able to drop to 133 lbs myself.    If so ASU would have Figueroa at 125, Ysaguirre at 133, Vasquez at 141, Parco at 149 and Teemer or possibly Ramos at 157 if Teemer moves up to 165.

Yas competed in a couple tournaments unattached. He only wrestled the last 2 duals as the only 2 matches that count fur eligibility. So his RS is still intact for  this year. I would think 99.99% chance that he does  not wrestle Pac 12s regardless of Vasquez’s availability. 

3 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Yas competed in a couple tournaments unattached. He only wrestled the last 2 duals as the only 2 matches that count fur eligibility. So his RS is still intact for  this year. I would think 99.99% chance that he does  not wrestle Pac 12s regardless of Vasquez’s availability. 

Any idea how Yas matches up against Vasqez? Could it be like last year with Ramos and they wrestle him PAC 12's and redshirt next year? Possibility if Vasquez is out and has the upper hand head to head. Ramos probably cant beat Parco so he sits this year. Not sure what happens to him next year.

11 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

Not sure about Yas vs Vasquez. Yas wrestled 61kg last summer. I do not think it’s out of the picture him going to 133 next year. 
I do know Figs beats Courtney more than he loses. It’s very tight. If this is Courtney’s senior season, maybe give him the nod. But it’s his free covid season. I would go with Figs, the future. 
Kilic is RS at 157. Maybe Ramos up there at 157 if there is movement with Teemer. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I think Teemer needs to bump up to 165 for the sake of the team 

Teemer is not very long limbed. He would probably be a favorite at 157 next year. No reason to send him up into the gauntlet of 165 IMO. 

16 minutes ago, Gus said:

Teemer is not very long limbed. He would probably be a favorite at 157 next year. No reason to send him up into the gauntlet of 165 IMO. 

Well in the current climate in which it seems to be cool and totally okay to have a sucky dual record, your idea makes more sense.  Could Cael suck down? Of course then there is another problem at 74

12 hours ago, wjd said:

Watching Ysaquirea lasts week against Bakersfield, he looks big! I can't see him at 133. DK what's up with Vasquez, I know he had a serious injury last year, hopefully not the same thing keeping him out this week. Curious thing about Emilio is his lackluster performance in open tourneys. I think he lost as many as he won against second tier competiton. Definetly stepped it up this last week. 

Devils have a logjam at the 141-149/157, coming up. Vasquez,Ysaquirre, Parco, Ramos, Larkin and Teamer. Wish someone would grow, because 165-197 is suspect, though Valencia has looked much better in 2023. 

I thought the same thing about Ysaguirre.  He's difficult to find info on (for me at least).  TrackWrestling has about 5 accounts for him but most of them list him at 79 lbs and are from 2018 and 2019.   I don't know if he could or could not drop down to 133.  But I thought it could be a possibility & should at least be mentioned.  Vasquez certainly isn't a possibility for 133 lbs in 2024.  He was a true FR at 149 lbs.

My guess is Teemer moves up to 165 lbs for 2024.   That would help with the logjam to some extent.  I don't see Parco moving up to 157 which is why I mentioned Ramos as a possible replacement for Teemer at 157.  Also Teemer has been at 157 lbs since 2019 when he was at 149 lbs.   I have to think he wants to move up to 165 lbs but again that's just a guess.

9 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Well in the current climate in which it seems to be cool and totally okay to have a sucky dual record, your idea makes more sense.  Could Cael suck down? Of course then there is another problem at 74

I think they will be looking to the portal to fill 165 again next year.

37 minutes ago, NearFall said:

I thought the same thing about Ysaguirre.  He's difficult to find info on (for me at least).  TrackWrestling has about 5 accounts for him but most of them list him at 79 lbs and are from 2018 and 2019.   I don't know if he could or could not drop down to 133.  But I thought it could be a possibility & should at least be mentioned.  Vasquez certainly isn't a possibility for 133 lbs in 2024.  He was a true FR at 149 lbs.

My guess is Teemer moves up to 165 lbs for 2024.   That would help with the logjam to some extent.  I don't see Parco moving up to 157 which is why I mentioned Ramos as a possible replacement for Teemer at 157.  Also Teemer has been at 157 lbs since 2019 when he was at 149 lbs.   I have to think he wants to move up to 165 lbs but again that's just a guess.

Teemer looked like he fit into 157 really well last season from a size standpoint. I see no benefit of taking a title contender with Robb & Haines next year and moving him up to 165 to battle Carr, O'Toole, Griffith, etc. 

8 hours ago, NearFall said:

Vasquez actually went 61 KG after wrestling at 149. Don’t think it’s likely that he makes the move down, but still something to take note of.

20 hours ago, SunDevil said:

Oh crap. Yes. 61kg. 

Yeah, I saw where you wrote he was wrestling FS at 46 kg's and I was going.....................HUH????

46 kg = 101 lbs and 61 kg = 134 lbs.   That makes a lot more sense.

Here's a YouTube video of him wrestling at 61 kgs last summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=H6xPuPP3MoU

Edited by NearFall
Addition

26 minutes ago, NearFall said:

Yeah, I saw where you wrote he was wrestling FS at 46 kg's and I was going.....................HUH????

46 kg = 101 lbs and 61 kg = 134 lbs.   That makes a lot more sense.

Here's a YouTube video of him wrestling at 61 kgs last summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=H6xPuPP3MoU

Personally. I think he goes down to 133 next year. I don’t think Parco fits in at 157. Larkin and Ruiz coming in next year at that 149-165 range. I’m also guessing they RS. But you also still have Kilic there at 157 next year.