Nebraska vs Purdue

Mr. PeanutButter

1 minute ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I spotted Cronin standing next to Manning during the stream. My guess, this was a classic case of seed protection duck. Disappointing. I think Cronin would have won that match

VanDee did really well. Manning is trying to get backups some experience.  I doubt its a duck. They will be 2 and 3 seeds. Not a huge difference between.  Don't want to be the 4th seed in the B1G. 

• Fire 1

Just now, aknipp said:

VanDee did really well. Manning is trying to get backups some experience.  I doubt its a duck. They will be 2 and 3 seeds. Not a huge difference between.  Don't want to be the 4th seed in the B1G. 

Sounds like an excuse. If Cronin is healthy, I see no reason why he shouldn't wrestle. If Manning wants his backups to get experience he can send them out against non-ranked guys. Just as I type this, Manning sends another duck to wrestle against Coleman

1 minute ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Sounds like an excuse. If Cronin is healthy, I see no reason why he shouldn't wrestle. If Manning wants his backups to get experience he can send them out against non-ranked guys. Just as I type this, Manning sends another duck to wrestle against Coleman

Robb has already beaten Coleman this year. So have a few others 

25 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Two birds with one stone.  It's a duck by Cronin while also giving the better prospect in Van Dee some great experience 

16 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

They wrestled the night before at Illinois. Manning gave his older guys (Cronin, Robb, and Labs) the night off. They gave others the night off against Illinois. They beat both teams handily with backups wrestling. At this point of the season, guys are fighting injuries.  He doesn’t need to grind these guys down to nothing before the end of the year. The goal is to have these guys firing on all cylinders by the B1Gs and Nationals. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, The Reaper said:

They wrestled the night before at Illinois. Manning gave his older guys (Cronin, Robb, and Labs) the night off. They gave others the night off against Illinois. They beat both teams handily with backups wrestling. At this point of the season, guys are fighting injuries.  He doesn’t need to grind these guys down to nothing before the end of the year. The goal is to have these guys firing on all cylinders by the B1Gs and Nationals. 

That's all very reasonable but when the 2 marquee match-ups of the dual don't end up happening the optics look bad and I, as a fan, feel sucky.

• Fire 1

This is D1 wrestling. It is kosher for the coaches to hold wrestlers. Get over it . The old days and ways are done with. Stop complaining.  
Maybe this is an experiment, to grow the sport? You know , the two- three page threads on here, on what’s needed to get more fans/ people to take an interest. Coaches are doing their part. I guess it’s just up to us to get over our disappointment s. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 8:58 PM, Southend said:

This is D1 wrestling. It is kosher for the coaches to hold wrestlers. Get over it . The old days and ways are done with. Stop complaining.  
Maybe this is an experiment, to grow the sport? You know , the two- three page threads on here, on what’s needed to get more fans/ people to take an interest. Coaches are doing their part. I guess it’s just up to us to get over our disappointment s. 

How exactly does voiding the 2 marquee match-ups of this dual grow the sport ?   Yet another dual where the marquee match-ups do NOT happen has the opposite effect on building fan interest and "growing" the sport.