Craig Jones Invitational

I know this is an international wrestling but Nolf will be grappling in the Craig Jones International, I'm currently watching Pat Downey grapple Luke Rockhold former UFC champ.  

You can watch it for free CJI invitational live stream on YouTube.  I can't post a link if somebody else would like to.

I posted it here for more eyes.

Edited by Threadkilla

1 hour ago, Threadkilla said:

Nolf was submitted late in the third with kneebar.  Great match,  this kid is a  bjj rockstar, and Jason made for a great fight.   the kid gave him props.  Watch this fight. 

For a guy named threadkilla, you’re pretty much the only one posting in this thread and keeping it alive. I think you need to rebrand your handle. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Bob 2

I did not realize they scheduled this for the exact same weekend as ADCC’s (this weekend).  Having watched the entire CJI first day on youtube for free, the product is WAY more interesting than scored no-gi.  

In an ideal world, they influence the UFC to start releasing scores round by round this way.  Makes for a WAY more entertaining match progression.

That plus the pit style is a tremendous idea for managing the boundaries.  This has been very successful so far.

• Bob 2

16 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

Great match with Nolf and the world champ, they call the kid the prodigy. Nolf dominated on the feet.  Got a td, but out in a guillotine.  Lost first round by split decision but super close.  Great match.

Kerk predictably did nothing.  Pat Downey actually had some pretty good outings.

I really like the way they arrange criteria, with creating action as the only criteria for being awarded the round.  It really makes this style much more forward moving wrestle-jitsu, takes all the boring edges out of jiu jitsu, 300% improvement over the way things have been done.  I would not be surprised to see this ruleset really catching on. 

Edited by wrestle87
  • Bob 2

9 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I did not realize they scheduled this for the exact same weekend as ADCC’s (this weekend).  Having watched the entire CJI first day on youtube for free, the product is WAY more interesting than scored no-gi.  

In an ideal world, they influence the UFC to start releasing scores round by round this way.  Makes for a WAY more entertaining match progression.

That plus the pit style is a tremendous idea for managing the boundaries.  This has been very successful so far.

Ive been wanting the pit walls for wrestling since i first saw karate combat. ***duck** the step out. Bring on the pit.

On 8/16/2024 at 11:21 PM, Threadkilla said:

Great match with Nolf and the world champ, they call the kid the prodigy. Nolf dominated on the feet.  Got a td, but out in a guillotine.  Lost first round by split decision but super close.  Great match.

Just watched Nolfs match and the BJJ guy looked relatively good on his feet. I would not say Nolfs dominated on the feet  He seemed cautious about going all in for TDs as he was clearly outmatched on the ground. Even when Nolf got a TD his opponent was able to get right up if he wanted to

Kerk's match went exactly as I expected with the BJJ dropping right down to his but and Kerk doing some reasonable attempts at guard passing but not really threatening. 

Kerk size strength and athleticism is impressive and even when he was out of his element trapped in guard, he is so powerful that he threw off the triangle attempts with basic posture. 

Ruotolo's decision to stand with Nolf was what made that match so exciting. The Ruotolo brothers have been phenomenal from very young ages, I think they were home schooled most of their loves so they could focus on training, and since their late teenage years have been among the best in the world, gi or no-gi. They both will scrap with anyone in any position and have well rounded stand up (decent wrestling and judo). Nolf wasn't shooting in like crazy because of the threat of the guillotine, it changes the takedown game. That match was a vision of the potential product here, Kerkvliet against Andrew is the opposite end of the spectrum.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, pcostilow said:

Ruotolo's decision to stand with Nolf was what made that match so exciting. The Ruotolo brothers have been phenomenal from very young ages, I think they were home schooled most of their loves so they could focus on training, and since their late teenage years have been among the best in the world, gi or no-gi. They both will scrap with anyone in any position and have well rounded stand up (decent wrestling and judo). Nolf wasn't shooting in like crazy because of the threat of the guillotine, it changes the takedown game. That match was a vision of the potential product here, Kerkvliet against Andrew is the opposite end of the spectrum.

This is what I was thinking. Unfortunately I think this cross-over is sort of a one-off, solely for kicks, since the rules are so clearly tilted to BJJ while offering nothing for wrestlers. With a takedown meaningless, the most the wrestlers can really do is keep their opponent at bay and wear him out. 

If anything, I think wrestling is the LEAST compatible of disciplines with BJJ/submission grappling, since all the positions wrestlers strive for are only going to put them in danger of being submitted.  There was exactly zero path to victory for Nolf since his white-belt-level submissions won’t work and any offensive wrestling move he makes is going to put him in a spot where he has to tap out. 

That said, it was a fun watch! Nope didn’t really have a strategy except to do a quick TD attempt and immediately bail out, and hope he gets points for “initiating action.”  That was doomed to fail but at least his opponent decided to mix it up on his feet instead of doing the sit-on-my-butt thing that is so annoying.

Btw is it true the wrestlers got 10k just for agreeing to compete?