Does anyone else feel bad...

1 minute ago, boconnell said:

How dare they charge money for a product that had value!  They should have given it away for free forever because they once did!

I’d love to respond but you wouldn’t understand. 

I am sure there are better informed people on here than me so please excuse me if this is completely and totally out of the box but why can’t they cut the bottom 2 weights and add them between the gap of 197 and HWT?  I know I know, it wouldn’t completely “solve” the issue because most wrestlers cut weight but wouldn’t it be a start?  We are talking about grown men trying to cut weight to 125 and 133LBS.  I can’t image that is health for anyone even someone who walks around at 5’ 5” or whatever those guys walk around at.  Imagine Spencer being able to start closer to his Olympic weight at 141 instead of 125?  Guys can still be athletic at 210 and 220 lbs or wherever they would add those weights.  Heck, most of the heavy’s never reach the 285 anymore anyway.

Anyway, again, I am only a fan and am not trying to change the sport, just adding to the conversation and seeing if anyone has insight as to why this can’t happen.  Is it because, this is how it has always been?  I know the weights have changed over the years and I do believe they were even lighter back in the day. 

I also wrestled D1 in the "bad old days" when there were no restrictions

on how or how much weight to cut.

I spent a lot of time in the sauna or whirlpool in a "rubber suit".

I loved the sport  and cutting weight didn't change that.

You accepted what you needed to do or you didn't wrestle D1 in college.

I finished my career with a badly banged up knee and shoulder.

Would still do it again tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Twooooo said:

I am sure there are better informed people on here than me so please excuse me if this is completely and totally out of the box but why can’t they cut the bottom 2 weights and add them between the gap of 197 and HWT?  I know I know, it wouldn’t completely “solve” the issue because most wrestlers cut weight but wouldn’t it be a start?  We are talking about grown men trying to cut weight to 125 and 133LBS.  I can’t image that is health for anyone even someone who walks around at 5’ 5” or whatever those guys walk around at.  Imagine Spencer being able to start closer to his Olympic weight at 141 instead of 125?  Guys can still be athletic at 210 and 220 lbs or wherever they would add those weights.  Heck, most of the heavy’s never reach the 285 anymore anyway.

Anyway, again, I am only a fan and am not trying to change the sport, just adding to the conversation and seeing if anyone has insight as to why this can’t happen.  Is it because, this is how it has always been?  I know the weights have changed over the years and I do believe they were even lighter back in the day. 

Spencer Lee's Olympic weight was 125.7, but I get what you are saying. Two weights may be too much though. It seems a lot of guys outgrow 125. I could certainly see making 133 the lowest weight and adding a weight around 210 or 220.

As for the history of weights, you are right that they have been experimented with in the past. The lowest weight was originally 115 before it bumped to 118 a few years later, and ultimatley to 125 after the weight cutting tragedies. There were even a few years we had 11 weights.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

On 8/14/2024 at 7:09 AM, nhs67 said:

For ~99% of these guys mind, body, and soul health leads to success more so than pain and suffering does.

Most of the new atheists rub me the wrong way. Their crude reductions ignore vast categories of human experience. But, every once in a while, they dropped a nugget of wisdom: 

However, one thing that grave illness does is to make you examine familiar principles and seemingly reliable sayings. And there's one that I find I am not saying with quite the same conviction as I once used to: In particular, I have slightly stopped issuing the announcement that "Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger."

In fact, I now sometimes wonder why I ever thought it profound. . .

In the brute physical world, and the one encompassed by medicine, there are all too many things that could kill you, don't kill you, and then leave you considerably weaker. Nietzsche was destined to find this out in the hardest possible way, which makes it additionally perplexing that he chose to include the maxim in his 1889 anthology Twilight of the Idols.

--CH

4 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I also wrestled D1 in the "bad old days" when there were no restrictions

on how or how much weight to cut.

I spent a lot of time in the sauna or whirlpool in a "rubber suit".

I loved the sport  and cutting weight didn't change that.

You accepted what you needed to do or you didn't wrestle D1 in college.

I finished my career with a badly banged up knee and shoulder.

Would still do it again tomorrow.

Same.  Wrestling 134, I regularly weighed 143-145lbs and was still very lean.  I heard stories of the Brands bros weighing north of 150lbs come B1Gs.  I never saw it (them being 150+), but I tell you what, your hands hurt after handfighting them.

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me