I mentioned in the other thread how great Japan is wrestling and how they deserve to be in the conversation with Russians/Iranians as best all around teams in the world. As it stands now they have a chance to have multiple gold medals in Greco Men's and Women's...

I know some guys travel around and train with different countries, have any of our guys gone to Japan? I know Chamizo did but didn't seem to translate to results for him this year. 

Is their "it" factor due to training methods or could it be more of a cultural aspect that makes them so well rounded?  Amazing gas tanks, fantastic composure and extremely tactical. Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, Doublehalf said:

I mentioned in the other thread how great Japan is wrestling and how they deserve to be in the conversation with Russians/Iranians as best all around teams in the world. As it stands now they have a chance to have multiple gold medals in Greco Men's and Women's...

I know some guys travel around and train with different countries, have any of our guys gone to Japan? I know Chamizo did but didn't seem to translate to results for him this year. 

Is their "it" factor due to training methods or could it be more of a cultural aspect that makes them so well rounded?  Amazing gas tanks, fantastic composure and extremely tactical. Thoughts?

I have no answers, but it is a damn fine question.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Everything goes in cycles. Because of the issues with Russia, the scattering of their wrestlers to other countries has diminished them as I don't believe they have coaches in their new countries at the quality of Russian coaches. Also, Japan used to be lights out in wrestling in the sixties and seventies. They must have very good, young, progressive coaches. The are fit and from what I have seen, very good technique. Just ask Kyle Dake.

• Bob 1

I’m pretty sure Lee spent some time in Japan within the last year or 2. 

Edit - Looks like he didn’t train. Just went to get away from everything. 

Edited by cowcards

2 hours ago, Doublehalf said:

I have a very strong opinion about this but I’ll keep it short. Those in charge of sports in the United States don’t give a damn about men’s wrestling, and our wrestlers know it. To say otherwise is being dishonest. I’m willing to bet Japan values, respects and honors the sport at a higher level and their wrestlers know and feel it on and off the mat which motivates them to perform so well. JMO.