Iran & Israel at the Olympics

1 hour ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

As I mentioned in a thread regarding the ban on Russia - if the IOC had banned them for the rampant cheating during Sochi it wouldn't be tying itself into knots trying to ban them for these Paris games - the solution here is simple.

The next time an Iranian refuses to compete against an Israeli, the IOC should throw all of the Iranians in that sport out of the games and tell Iran if it happens in another sport the entire country will be banned from Paris and LA.

I don't care what your politics are. The Olympics are supposed to be about sport and above politics. (I know, I know). The Iranians are the ones refusing to compete due to politics so they are to blame.

This nonsense has now spread to other countries and other sports (judo, with the lack of sportsmanship shown to Israeli competitors) and it has to stop. 

Let’s not forget Lebanon, as Michigan ROTC found out in an embarrassing way. 

• Bob 1
  • Clown 1

1 hour ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

As I mentioned in a thread regarding the ban on Russia - if the IOC had banned them for the rampant cheating during Sochi it wouldn't be tying itself into knots trying to ban them for these Paris games - the solution here is simple.

The next time an Iranian refuses to compete against an Israeli, the IOC should throw all of the Iranians in that sport out of the games and tell Iran if it happens in another sport the entire country will be banned from Paris and LA.

I don't care what your politics are. The Olympics are supposed to be about sport and above politics. (I know, I know). The Iranians are the ones refusing to compete due to politics so they are to blame.

This nonsense has now spread to other countries and other sports (judo, with the lack of sportsmanship shown to Israeli competitors) and it has to stop. 

Have you ever wondered why Israel is considered part of Europe for the soccer World Cup, and all the surrounding countries (Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine) are considered part of Asia?

38 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Have you ever wondered why Israel is considered part of Europe for the soccer World Cup, and all the surrounding countries (Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Palestine) are considered part of Asia?

None of them would play Israel.  There are several muslim nations that have forfeited to Israel in sports.  It isn't just Iran.

I don't so much have a problem with forfeiting.  They are only hurting themselves in the end.  I also get it.  It's easy to say politics shouldn't be part of the Olympics, but more difficult when athletes compete representing their country in their colors playing their national anthem when they win.  Doubly difficult when there is a war or dispute at play.

If Russia had not been banned I would total understand why a Ukrainian athlete might op to not wrestle/compete against them.  Hard to put aside the whole war thing.

• Clown 1