3 Time Olympians

On FRL today they said that Kyle Snyder made his 3rd olympic team and that he was the 11th American to do this.  I can't think of the other 10.  Big Bruce Baumgartner is the obvious one.  He was on the team 4x in 1984, 1988, 1992, and 1996.  Ben Peterson was on the team in 1972, 1976, and 1980.  Bill Kerslake (1952, 1956, 1960).  Helen Marouis is the only lady to make 3 teams (2016, 2021, and 2024).  Who were the other 66?

11 men, 1 woman - that's 12. When Snyder won the spot at Trials, he did it before Helen, so I announced he was the 11th. Helen became the first woman, so I said she was the first woman, which is more significant than being the 12th American.

Not sure if they're referencing my announcement or Cody Goodwin's story where he wrote about it for USAW. 

Anyway, here's the answer
 Bruce Baumgartner (4)
Mark Fuller (4)
Ben Peterson
Bill Kerslake
Dan Chandler
Dennis Hall
Dick Wilson
Kenny Monday
Tommy Evans
Wayne Baughman
Kyle Snyder
Helen Maroulis

• Bob 5
  • Brain 3
  • Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

48 minutes ago, BarSeries said:

Wow, Fuller would have been 5 times if not for the 1980 boycott. 

1980 is being counted in Fuller's total.  Ben Peterson was also on the 1980 team which did not participate.  Peterson only competed in 2 games

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

11 men, 1 woman - that's 12. When Snyder won the spot at Trials, he did it before Helen, so I announced he was the 11th. Helen became the first woman, so I said she was the first woman, which is more significant than being the 12th American.

Not sure if they're referencing my announcement or Cody Goodwin's story where he wrote about it for USAW. 

Tommy Evans

"Kyle made his 3rd Olympic team.. 11th US wrestler to do that."  Is how they phased it, which would include Maroulis.  

I suppose it's possible that they cited 11 because they are not counting Jay Tommy Evans because he only wrestled in 2 Olympics 1952 and 1956.  He represented the US in both freestyle and greco in 1956 and only freestyle in 1952.  Are you including him in the list because of the two styles in 1956 or and I missing an Olympics?  I could see Flo saying that he represented the US in 2 events at one Olympic, but that is one Olympic team so only made 2 teams.

Is Evans the only person to represent the US in both styles at the Olympics?

3 hours ago, fishbane said:

Lee Allen and Chris Taylor did as well. I think there's at least one more who did.

"Kyle made his 3rd Olympic team.. 11th US wrestler to do that."  Is how they phased it, which would include Maroulis.  
I suppose it's possible that they cited 11 because they are not counting Jay Tommy Evans because he only wrestled in 2 Olympics 1952 and 1956.  He represented the US in both freestyle and greco in 1956 and only freestyle in 1952.  Are you including him in the list because of the two styles in 1956 or and I missing an Olympics?  I could see Flo saying that he represented the US in 2 events at one Olympic, but that is one Olympic team so only made 2 teams.

Maroulis followed - so they didn’t add her to what I’d announced with Snyder. I’ll go back and check my records for Evans. The 80 guys didn’t participate as we know, but they tend to be the ones who get that “pass” on being an Olympian but never actually competing. There’s instances where there was a team but didn’t compete (like Greco in 1948).

Insert catchy tagline here. 

45 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Evans is in my count three times - while there's one collective Team USA, there's the Greco-Roman team and the freestyle team in that era. He wasn't in three quads, though. 

That's what I came up with too.  While Flo might have made the correct statement I suspect they stumbled onto it.