2024 Olympics last chance qualifier

On 4/23/2024 at 5:08 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

Agreed. Admittedly, I thought Vito would be our best rep at the Olympics, if he could handle the cut, but think Spencer is the more likely of the two to qualify the weight. Making weight for OTTs and then having to suck down again a couple of weeks later might've been rough for Vito or Gilman. Spencer, no prob.

I don't think it was ever in the cards.  Last time Vito made 57 kg, he went 1-2 at U23.  That was one year before he won worlds up a weight.

Also last time he and Spencer wrestled at 57, Vito got teched.

On 4/23/2024 at 7:36 PM, Tripnsweep said:

I have always been fascinated by their wrestling. They barely attend other tournaments, and the wrestlers they do send tend to be really good. I just wonder what their training is structured like. 

Not to give an obnoxious answer, but very likely structured like the old soviet/current chinese state sponsored system, with japan and s. korea providing the strongest technique influences.  

South Korea is filthy at Judo, and obviously Japan is a grappling mecca, nasty both in wrestling and obviously judo, so wrestling success is not that crazy a notion. 

System-wise, in a structure like that, coaches and programs go around to all elementary schools checking kids for size, joint structure, mobility, mindset, etc, and funnel kids into whichever sport they are the best fit for.  Ever notice how chinese weightlifters all have identical proportions?  That’s not by accident.