Sunday Morning Comic Strips (featuring JOMBO™ and Professor Carl)

6 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I'm in favor of The Buckeyes just giving it to OKST. One 'the' is too many...:classic_dry:

I'll pass it on to wOSU.  They can then officially be know as:  The West Coast OSU or TWCOSU.  🤠

10 hours ago, ionel said:

I'll pass it on to wOSU.  They can then officially be know as:  The West Coast OSU or TWCOSU.  🤠

This particular Davebert was created with you in mind. The fact that you dragged in poor @MPhillips is pretty cool. Whenever I do a preview of an ILLINI/OSU dual, I always make sure to call it an Ohio State University. Because fans of one school are always mean to fans of other schools. 

• Ionel 1

2 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I always make sure to call it an Ohio State University.

My stance on Ohio State has always been clear. Not a fan of, "the", never have been. I remember before there was such nonsense...:classic_dry:

• Brain 1
  • Ionel 1

16 hours ago, MPhillips said:

My stance on Ohio State has always been clear. Not a fan of, "the", never have been. I remember before there was such nonsense...:classic_dry:

I bring this all up for three reasons:

1. Because I want to seem normal, and normal fans of teams hate other teams.

2. It doesn't seem right for a university to acquire an entire article for their own use. Not even the Mona Lisa is known as the "The Mona Lisa," and the Great Pyramid of Giza is not "The Great Pyramid of Giza." The absolute only reason to capitalize the "T" in a "The" is to start a sentence or for "The Batman." 

3. Because you can't give yourself a nickname. It's against the Man Rules and the dictates of a civilized society. 

ILLINI247.jpg

• Wrestle 1

On 7/15/2024 at 7:32 AM, MPhillips said:

Real Etymology/Usage Question: I went to an ACC school, and the frat/srat crowd would add a little "THE" sticker to the front of their " University of [XXX]" window stickers. This was in 1994. How long has tOSU been doing their schtick? Were they first or just the most persistently demonstrative? Was "THE Ohio State University" an athetics' dept. marketing directive dreamt up once they started having NFL players introduce themselves on telecasts?

Edited by jackwebster
  • Brain 1

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Real Etymology/Usage Question: I went to an ACC school, and the frat/srat crowd would add a little "THE" sticker to the front of their " University of [XXX]" window stickers. This was in 1994. How long has tOSU been doing their schtick? Were they first or just the most persistently demonstrative? Was "THE Ohio State University" an athetics' dept. marketing directive dreamt up once they started having NFL players introduce themselves on telecasts?

University of Miami football players have been saying they're from "The U" for a long, long time. My armchair attempt at psychological etymology is that both OSU and Miami have premier state-school envy. Ohio State can never be the University of Ohio--that dream is dead--so they've added the "The."

Miami is the university of a city, which is a big step down. 

There was an ILLINI all pro football player who was introduced during the Super Bowl or a conference championship, and he almost started a state-wide riot when he said he was from "The university of hard knocks." Simeon Rice? 

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

My armchair attempt at psychological etymology is that both OSU and Miami have premier state-school envy. Ohio State can never be the University of Ohio--that dream is dead--so they've added the "The."

Miami is the university of a city, which is a big step down. 

You're on to something, esp re Miami. The logo had been around for a while (1973?) and opened up a slew of marketing tactics: https://themiamihurricane.com/2012/04/26/history-reveals-iconic-‘u’-logo’s-meaning-2/

• Bob 1

52 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Meanwhile you missed this one. 'The' Non Wrestling Topics forum posters...

I saw it ... I may be dense but not that dense nor obtuse.  Can't control what you say can only control how I respond to what you say and yes ... sometimes I'm stupid.  😉

• Bob 1