What is going on in East Lansing?

As far as getting a new facility, MSU is actually building a huge new $200 million recreation center just south of the Breslin Center.  It will supposedly house new swimming facilities in hopes that they can resurrect their swim and dive programs.  Slated to open in 2026.

This would probably be a golden opportunity for them to get a new wrestling facility to replace the room at IM West that they've used since the 1960s.  Unfortunately, no word on whether this might happen.

• Bob 1

22 hours ago, Dogbone said:

As mentioned, MSU has a much better history than what they are producing.  But Minkel was so bad at the end that is looks like Chandler has made improvements. (It helps to follow a coach who got negative points at NCAAs). 

It just seems like apathy has sent in at every level.   Chandler was on staff at the end, how much has really changed? 

Even the wrestling room condition just seems like an excuse.  Every coach talks about being a fundraiser as part of their job.  If it sucks, change it.  It's clear the Administration doesn't care about the results.  The coaches/boosters/alumni seemed to have accepted it as well.   If only the administration would give them a good wrestling room, things would be different...

This is spot on!

On 4/9/2024 at 11:40 PM, Sheerstress said:

As far as getting a new facility, MSU is actually building a huge new $200 million recreation center just south of the Breslin Center.  It will supposedly house new swimming facilities in hopes that they can resurrect their swim and dive programs.  Slated to open in 2026.

This would probably be a golden opportunity for them to get a new wrestling facility to replace the room at IM West that they've used since the 1960s.  Unfortunately, no word on whether this might happen.

This will sound pretty weird, but that wrestling room at MSU was good enough for some NCAA Championship teams back in the 1960s. Kids today are soft. 

12 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

This will sound pretty weird, but that wrestling room at MSU was good enough for some NCAA Championship teams back in the 1960s. Kids today are soft. 

I think it’s that they want a competitive room more than decorations. Need to get better  practice partners 

• Bob 1

10 hours ago, WrestlingFan89 said:

The only way to be an Olympic champion while in college is to go to Penn State.  Wait……

kylesnyder.gif

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, jchapman said:

gablesteveson.gif

yojirouetake.gif

One of those didn't step on a college match again after his Olympic Gold, so...

The other was 60 years ago, so...

(irrelevant)

47 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

One of those didn't step on a college match again after his Olympic Gold, so...

The other was 60 years ago, so...

(irrelevant)

Except Steveson did win NCAAs in 2022 after he won his Olympic gold.

• Brain 1

15 hours ago, NM1965 said:

Are you saying NCAA DI kids are soft?

If you had a choice between really a nice facility and a not so nice one, does it make you soft to want to go the school with better facilities?

Edited by Jim L

On 4/9/2024 at 12:04 PM, nhs67 said:

You understand the Simmons bros and Gomez were there 20 years ago now, right?

Having the same room, just older and more worn, while pulling in B1G moneys?

That is horrible conditions.

Yes it is, just ask the Illinois fans! 

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Except Steveson did win NCAAs in 2022 after he won his Olympic gold.

You didn't read what I said.  My statement was 100% accurate.

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

Yes it is, just ask the Illinois fans! 

I don't need to.  I have been in the room dozens of times in the late 80s, early 90s and I have kids that I have mentored go through there very recently.

• Bob 1

44 minutes ago, Jim L said:

I did read, but apparently I didn't comprehend.

Please enlighten me.

Steveson didn't compete in college after his title, ergo he was no longer a college student.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Steveson didn't compete in college after his title, ergo he was no longer a college student.

Is it April 1 today?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

22 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Still not sure that I am not missing something because you are posting with such confidence.

Gable won Olympic gold in Tokyo in 20921 and wrestled the 2021-22 season for Minnesota wining his 2nd NCAA championship in Detroit.

3 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Still not sure that I am not missing something because you are posting with such confidence.

Gable won Olympic gold in Tokyo in 20921 and wrestled the 2021-22 season for Minnesota wining his 2nd NCAA championship in Detroit.

Maybe he's going for the Big Lie?  Just keep saying it and eventually everyone will believe you.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Maybe he's going for the Big Lie?  Just keep saying it and eventually everyone will believe you.

It worked for Trump, didn't it? At least among the low IQ folks. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Southend said:

I think it’s that they want a competitive room more than decorations. Need to get better  practice partners 

The practice partner issue is far more important, for sure. 

12 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I know "facilities" was the last thing on my mind when I was wrestling. But I wasn't a snowflake that wanted to be spoiled, admittedly. 

Missing the whole point. DI wrestlers are not snowflakes. They are training harder and are every bit as dedicated as wrestlers were in the past.

Any reasonable person when faced with a choice between a really nice facility and a mediocre one would choose the nicer one, all other things being equal.

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Missing the whole point. DI wrestlers are not snowflakes. They are training harder and are every bit as dedicated as wrestlers were in the past.

Any reasonable person when faced with a choice between a really nice facility and a mediocre one would choose the nicer one, all other things being equal.

I  can see facilities being an important factor, but there are lots of other things that should come before such as academics, how good their coaches are, location (can the family come watch your matches conveniently), etc. 

Edited by NM1965

3 hours ago, Jim L said:

Did he compete, though?  I don't really recall a single sweat he broke.

Edit: Bah.  I had a long elaborate trolljob planned in which I said something along those lines, but I am honestly bored.

Edited by nhs67

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Did he compete, though?  I don't really recall a single sweat he broke.

Edit: Bah.  I had a long elaborate trolljob planned in which I said something along those lines, but I am honestly bored.

You said he never stepped on a college "match" after winning Olympic Gold.  I was waiting to see how you were going to incorporate a matchstick into the wordplay.

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

You said he never stepped on a college "match" after winning Olympic Gold.  I was waiting to see how you were going to incorporate a matchstick into the wordplay.

Nah, I am not that clever.  You give me far too much credit.