ESPN failed on these announcer's

5 minutes ago, lightweight said:

He (and all sideline reporters) should stop asking "What does this win mean to you?"  Asinine question.  What are they going to say, 'Oh, I've been training my whole life and sacrificing chances to try lots of other life experiences and I've suffered injuries just for this goal, but hey, it was no big deal to win today.'  

Ask a sport-related question.  

That's true but sometimes when you ask that question you get the gem we got from Kerk at Big Tens when he told us that everything is meaningless and we should simply embrace Jesus. I laughed so hard when he said that I peed a little bit.

That got me thinking, if Hidlay wanted to get into Brooks's head he should've come out with a 101% Jesus headband.

Edited by Xmas32
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I feel badly for Quint as his job is basically impossible. Every year he gets dumped on but what exactly is he supposed to do? He's catching these guys at a terrible time. He's only as good as the wrestler getting interviewed. Sometimes we get lucky and catch MM, Henson or Hidlay (he and his brother were great). Other times aka 80% of the time, we get guys that are sucking wind and can barely think straight let alone sound coherent on the mic.

I thought Caleb Henson and Carter after the semis worked out well - despite the questions.  Loved Carter’s reaction to the softball Q that he had beaten 2 NCAA champs.  Carter was not having it and said I’m the NCAA champ and this is my bracket.  As bad as Carter is on twitter,  he was very good in person and very likeable.  He needs someone else to edit his twitter before posting.

• Bob 2

Just now, Elevator said:

I thought Caleb Henson and Carter after the semis worked out well - despite the questions.  Loved Carter’s reaction to the softball Q that he had beaten 2 NCAA champs.  Carter was not having it and said I’m the NCAA champ and this is my bracket.  As bad as Carter is on twitter,  he was very good in person and very likeable.  He needs someone else to edit his twitter before posting.

I agree on Carter. He was great after the semis and particularly thoughtful IMO after the finals. Him giving props to the trainer was really classy and cool to see.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 2

JB was great, but I wanted more of him; DC was great, but I wanted less of him. Sharing is caring. On the other hand, I appreciate the experimentation, as we may not know what we're missing if we don't, but last night a two person crew: Play-by-play and color analyst, was the way to go in my opinion. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

JB was great, but I wanted more of him; DC was great, but I wanted less of him. Sharing is caring. On the other hand, I appreciate the experimentation, as we may not know what we're missing if we don't, but last night a two person crew: Play-by-play and color analyst, was the way to go in my opinion. 

I agree with this, but I like having Rock as a third announcer to go to for rules questions.  Golf now does too, and while you're don't need them often, when you do it is very helpful and helps the other announcers keep from showing their ignorance of the rules.  

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I feel badly for Quint as his job is basically impossible. Every year he gets dumped on but what exactly is he supposed to do? He's catching these guys at a terrible time. He's only as good as the wrestler getting interviewed. Sometimes we get lucky and catch MM, Henson or Hidlay (he and his brother were great). Other times aka 80% of the time, we get guys that are sucking wind and can barely think straight let alone sound coherent on the mic.

Bring out Joe Rogan for the post match interviews!!

12 minutes ago, lightweight said:

I agree with this, but I like having Rock as a third announcer to go to for rules questions.  Golf now does too, and while you're don't need them often, when you do it is very helpful and helps the other announcers keep from showing their ignorance of the rules.  

This is a good idea. Cheers! 

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

It definitely is a difficult job but he does it poorly. His whole approach is bad.  The questions are labored and don't set the athletes up well for specific answers.  The sideline reporters at basketball and football games have the same challenges and they are generally much more effective.  Tracy Wolfson for example, she's poised, direct, and focused and she locks them in.  She makes it about the interviewee, not herself. Erin Andrews, Pam Oliver. 

The only charitable thing I could offer is that maybe he is in awe of them based on what he's dlseen them do for three days and as a result is too deferential.  Just a guess.  

13 hours ago, forkemaz said:

I don't know what day it was but JB showed up dressed like a villian that sells coke in a 70s movie. Didn't look good.

He didn't look like anyone I bought drugs from in the 70's 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, TexRef said:

He didn't look like anyone I bought drugs from in the 70's 

I said in a movie. He was dressed like he could have been on set for the mid 2000s starsky and hutch. 

5 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Absolutely.  He was super aware of when to let go.  He wasn't pushy.  He asked softball questions and let guys talk about whatever they wanted to talk about.  I can and do reasonably hate sideline post-match interviews.  But Quint was understated and not part of the problem at all.  And he clearly cares about it.  

• Brain 1

Was it just me, or did it seem like ESPN cut the budget a bit this year? I felt numerous times that it was really odd to not have replay capability or apparently a producer assigned to each mat. And in the past it seemed like if your mat was empty, they would show a different mat or at least the Matcast view, vs just a graphic of the team scores. There are commentators on every mat for those in the arena, correct? Why can’t ESPN at least use them? Replays for challenges/scoring sequences, etc.