Official post-match Big 10 champion interview rankings

I believe post-match interview performances are a factor in NCAA seedings, so here are the official rankings. First, an explanation of the criteria:

• Charisma/Poise (1-5): is the wrestler comfortable, and can they communicate well?
  • Gratitude (1-5): Did they express gratitude? Admittedly this depends somewhat on the questions asked.
  • Emotion (1-5): How much emotion do they express? Any emotion (except for boredom, Greg)
  • Humility (1-5): How humble are they? Negative points for arrogance (I'm talking to you Jesse)

I also deduct a point for each Cliche, for example:

• I trust in my training
  • We have the best coaching staff
  • All glory to god
  • I have a great support system
  • I just have to wrestle through positions

Here are the final, purely objective rankings:

Wrestler Charisma Gratitude Emotion Humility Cliché Score
Ruth 5 5 3 5 0 18
Lovett 5 3 5 4 0 17
Haines 4 4 5 5 -1 17
Mesenbrink 5 3 3 5 -1 15
Shawver 4 3 4 4 -1 14
Brooks 2 4 2 5 -2 11
Salazar 3 1 4 2 -3 7
Mendez 3 1 3 1 -2 6
Kerkvliet 1 1 1 5 -2 6
Davis 1 1 2 1 0 5

Congratulations to Edmond Ruth for being the champion of champions (I didn't even count his pre-hand raise dancing), and good effort from Lovett and Haines. On the flip side, Braeden Davis needs some works. 

• Brain 1
  • Fire 2
  • Clown 1

1 minute ago, 500 wrestler said:

Kerk's saving grace was the inherent humility in his religiosity. That aside, He was probably the worst. But Davis was as ill-prepared as Nuke LaLoosh before Crash taught him how to use cliches.

Davis’s was more just awkward than bad IMO.   He also got some of the worst questions, like asking if he thought him winning helped his teammates.  I have heard other PSU wrestlers (Bartlett for example) say stuff like they don’t even watch their teammates that are before them.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Davis’s was more just awkward than bad IMO.   He also got some of the worst questions, like asking if he thought him winning helped his teammates.  I have heard other PSU wrestlers (Bartlett for example) say stuff like they don’t even watch their teammates that are before them.

True. But prepared/poised respondents will find a way to answer a difficult question, not look like a deer in the headlights. Not saying it is easy. And remember, these are the official rankings. I'm just reporting them. 

Edited by 500 wrestler
  • Bob 1

Starocci had a speech ready and prepared for the interview, but he left Maryland early and chose to give it at the Academy Award Ceremony that Sunday night.  

Unfortunately, his plane didn't arrive in Hollywood on time, so he just tweeted out a couple of the more memorable lines.  

There was a large partisan crowd cheering his remarks from Erie, PA.  And a much larger crowd boo-ing him on the Intermat forums.

Starocci plans to have a few additional things to say after NCAAs and also indicated he will thumb wrestle anyone anytime anywhere, including Ben Askren, whose fingers aren't as funky or proficient at scrambling as his legs.

19 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Davis’s was more just awkward than bad IMO.  

Davis will never not give an awkward interview.  Also, Dake needs to work on his dodgeball attacks.  Overly aggressive.  Needs to plant his feet, stay balanced, focus and keep his eye on the target

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, 500 wrestler said:

I believe post-match interview performances are a factor in NCAA seedings, so here are the official rankings. First, an explanation of the criteria:

• Charisma/Poise (1-5): is the wrestler comfortable, and can they communicate well?
  • Gratitude (1-5): Did they express gratitude? Admittedly this depends somewhat on the questions asked.
  • Emotion (1-5): How much emotion do they express? Any emotion (except for boredom, Greg)
  • Humility (1-5): How humble are they? Negative points for arrogance (I'm talking to you Jesse)

I also deduct a point for each Cliche, for example:

• I trust in my training
  • We have the best coaching staff
  • All glory to god
  • I have a great support system
  • I just have to wrestle through positions

Here are the final, purely objective rankings:

Wrestler Charisma Gratitude Emotion Humility Cliché Score
Ruth 5 5 3 5 0 18
Lovett 5 3 5 4 0 17
Haines 4 4 5 5 -1 17
Mesenbrink 5 3 3 5 -1 15
Shawver 4 3 4 4 -1 14
Brooks 2 4 2 5 -2 11
Salazar 3 1 4 2 -3 7
Mendez 3 1 3 1 -2 6
Kerkvliet 1 1 1 5 -2 6
Davis 1 1 2 1 0 5

Congratulations to Edmond Ruth for being the champion of champions (I didn't even count his pre-hand raise dancing), and good effort from Lovett and Haines. On the flip side, Braeden Davis needs some works. 

You should put them up against the Big 12.  KOT did a very fine job.  

28 minutes ago, ionel said:

You should put them up against the Big 12.  KOT did a very fine job.  

Yes KOT was solid in his answers. I always appreciate when the winner gives a shout out to their opponent. 

Unfortunately due to time constraints and conflicts I just got through Big 10s today. Then watched selected big12 matches, starting at 165. And that's the only interview Big12 interview I had time to watch. 

We'll see what the NCCA champion interviews bring. Still waiting for something that rivals Sammy Brooks from his Big 10 championship.