When You are NOT the Guy

17 hours ago, BloodRound said:

Love both - anyone got anyone older examples though?  I am looking to hear about some older stories.

Pat Santoro:  1x PIAA state qualifier (placed 3rd); 4x NCAA AA & 2x champ

• Fire 1

Stephen Neal placed 4th in California before becoming a 4x AA, 2 x NCAA champ plus World freestyle champ. And an outstanding NFL career. 

Bruce Bumgartner placed 3rd in NJ before making 3 NCAA finals, winning it as a senior. Plus arguably the greatest freestyle career of any US wrestler. 

46 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Great Topic: I can only leave two names b/c I am at work and this would take up too much of my time.  But here is my start.  

1998: Kurt Angle: 285 (undersized) Clarion U. Did not go to a 'big name school' b/c he wanted to wrestle for Coach Bubb and play football.  You know the rest of his story.

2009: Ryan Williams: 141 lbs. Old Dominion U. runner up; 137 career wins. 

How about another Clarion wrestler, the great Wade Schalles. Most would not expect to see his name appear in a thread like this one, but did he even participate at the PIAA Championships in 1968? I know he pinned the returning Champ Chatman in the finals in 1969 and probably could have wrestled anywhere, but could the same be said the year before? 

6 hours ago, MPhillips said:

Agreed. It was a surprise, but it probably shouldn't have been. He was on a tear. RS year, Junior Worlds, then the NCAA tourney...💪

Vincenzo Joseph was the 2x defending champ and ML took a couple of first semester losses, so i think he was reasonably considered a year away. 

7 hours ago, 11986 said:

Stephen Neal placed 4th in California before becoming a 4x AA, 2 x NCAA champ plus World freestyle champ. And an outstanding NFL career. 

Bruce Bumgartner placed 3rd in NJ before making 3 NCAA finals, winning it as a senior. Plus arguably the greatest freestyle career of any US wrestler. 

Bruce had a bowl cut. 

On 3/5/2024 at 8:57 AM, Pinnacle said:

How about another Clarion wrestler, the great Wade Schalles. Most would not expect to see his name appear in a thread like this one, but did he even participate at the PIAA Championships in 1968? I know he pinned the returning Champ Chatman in the finals in 1969 and probably could have wrestled anywhere, but could the same be said the year before? 

I totally agree... I was gonna add him but was in a hurry.  That match was I think his junior year? Here it is:

50 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Keith Gavin-1 time PIAA qualifier.  Not sure if he ever placed in high shool, but two time NCAA Finalist.  One time Champ!

And I had thought of Keith but did not put his name down. So glad you added him.

My take on Schalles is that he became a whole different wrestler when he realized he could pin anyone 

Edited by Pinnacle

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

And I had thought of Keith but did not put his name down. So glad you added him.

My take on Schalles is that he became a whole different wrestler when he realized he could pin anyone 

Thank your for acknowledging this.  There are similarities between Bo Nickal and Schalles.  Either could pin anybody, anywhere and anytime.  X marks the spot!  I'm adding them as I think of them.  

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Thank your for acknowledging this.  There are similarities between Bo Nickal and Schalles.  Either could pin anybody, anywhere and anytime.  X marks the spot!  I'm adding them as I think of them.  

The one thing missing in that old PIAA video tape is Tim Johnson wailing "Oh, he's got the chin"!