The Worst Rule IMHO

32 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

If we had a standard mat size, it would likely be the 32-foot diameter (42x42 mat) used at Nationals and most big tournaments.

I've actually wondered, out loud (on the former BirdApp) whether it might be a good idea to go down to a 28-foot diameter, but a minimum seven-foot protection area, in the next rules cycle (although this would have to probably be phased in over several years).

I made a pitch with the rules committee to allow 30 foot circles at Opens.

Reasons for this-

1. They're doing it anyway.

2. It's harder to get a lot of 32s.

3. Because it's harder to fit them in to some gyms. The 30s made by Dollamur and Resilite among others are made in 7 6 foot strips. 32' circles go slightly into the outer strips. 30s have blank strips on either side so you can remove one of the two between adjacent mats and save space since there's still 6 feet between with a 5 foot rule.

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I made a pitch with the rules committee to allow 30 foot circles at Opens.

Reasons for this-

1. They're doing it anyway.

2. It's harder to get a lot of 32s.

3. Because it's harder to fit them in to some gyms. The 30s made by Dollamur and Resilite among others are made in 7 6 foot strips. 32' circles go slightly into the outer strips. 30s have blank strips on either side so you can remove one of the two between adjacent mats and save space since there's still 6 feet between with a 5 foot rule.

I'm assuming you're referring to after shrinkage...because a 32-foot diameter mat with a five-foot protection area would be a 42x42 mat before shrinkage.

9 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I'm assuming you're referring to after shrinkage...because a 32-foot diameter mat with a five-foot protection area would be a 42x42 mat before shrinkage.

ahaha-laughing.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Shrinkage has nothing to do with my comment (although I like @ionel's post below yours).

Yes, even a 7 strip 32' mat is 42- you can't get rid of any of it. But with a 30' circle you can eliminate one of the blank strips meaning 36' saving 6'. If you go 4 in a row you save 18'

7 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Shrinkage has nothing to do with my comment (although I like @ionel's post below yours).

Yes, even a 7 strip 32' mat is 42- you can't get rid of any of it. But with a 30' circle you can eliminate one of the blank strips meaning 36' saving 6'. If you go 4 in a row you save 18'

Gotcha...that makes sense. Didn't think of that.