Who is the best wrestler from your state?

peanut

On 2/22/2024 at 3:28 AM, Southend said:

So…… I take it… you are a regular there? What name do you post under? 
thanks for the lead anyway. 

I have the  i  guy on ignore but his post stills showed up in the reply. Now that was funny I’ll have to admit!

Edited by Rassling

Hmmmm. Well I did all my HS and college wrestling in Oklahoma, so I'll say the best wrestlers from my state were Pat Smith and his brother John Smith. Pat did better in college and John did great internationally.

As for my current home state and where I'll retire, New Mexico, Joe Puerto, 1933 NCAA champion at Illinois (123 pounds), and 1934 runnerup at 118 pounds.

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

HS ... Jr Hodge is hard to argue with, but what about Patrick Bond or Jeremy Ferry (Dream team / 1st Team Asics AA '95)?

Post-HS is more difficult. Lots of GB and CB guys lit it up in HS but had middling college careers. Tucker would be my choice, but what about Carl Perry or Devin Carter? Idk

I have been around Virginia high school wrestling for 52 years, lol.  My father was a very successful coach from 1968-1993.  Here would be some of my candidates during my lifetime.  Obviously, Coach Simon would be the best ever from Virginia:

Best High Schooler- Jody Staylor- I do believe that Jody was a 3 or 4 time state champ.  Cannot remember if he was at Great Bridge as a Freshman.  I believe Jody won multiple gold medals in Fargo and was a NCAA finalist as a true freshman at UNC.

Best Collegian:  You could split hairs here.......Bubba, Carl Perry, Byron Tucker.  If I had to give one name, it would be Bubba based on his resume.

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, Go Hokies said:

I have been around Virginia high school wrestling for 52 years, lol.  My father was a very successful coach from 1968-1993.  Here would be some of my candidates during my lifetime.  Obviously, Coach Simon would be the best ever from Virginia:

Best High Schooler- Jody Staylor- I do believe that Jody was a 3 or 4 time state champ.  Cannot remember if he was at Great Bridge as a Freshman.  I believe Jody won multiple gold medals in Fargo and was a NCAA finalist as a true freshman at UNC.

Best Collegian:  You could split hairs here.......Bubba, Carl Perry, Byron Tucker.  If I had to give one name, it would be Bubba based on his resume.

Three timer... no argument here about Jody as the best in high school. Finalist at ODU after placing at UNC.  Shane Bowman and Luke Owens might garner some support. 

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Three timer... no argument here about Jody as the best in high school. Finalist at ODU after placing at UNC.  Shane Bowman and Luke Owens might garner some support. 

Staylor was awesome. I'm class of '86, my school was AA then, 6A now. My time in HS I'd say the best guys were both from class of '85, Steve Martin Kempsville and John Epperly from Robinson. 

10 hours ago, Go Hokies said:

Have to give to Bubba, solely based on his name. As far as r as I’m concerned. 

On 2/20/2024 at 9:08 PM, The_KC_Godfather said:

That’s skewing things a lot.

Tony and Nick were a year older than Sammie (they graduated 88, Sammie graduated 89). Sammie’s junior year was the first year they got rid of the 98lb. weight class. He was at 103, while Nick and Tony were at 112 and 119, respectively. Even if they were in the same class at state, they were different weight classes. They wouldn’t have affected his state title in 89. So two of his three wouldn’t have been affected by the Purler’s.

I also don’t remember that Tony or Nick beat Sammie in every match, but doesn’t surprise me. Interesting (for me at least), is that Chris Lantz held down the lower weights for FH prior to Sammie and I believe whipped on the Purler’s when they were underclassman. I say interesting for me because, Chris Lantz was my freshman coach in high school 🙂

Sammie never beat either Purler in high school.  They wrestled 3 times.  Lantz I don’t know about for sure but I would not think he would beat either, he might have caught one of them their sophomore year.