Ohio Bans Gender Affirming Medical and Mental Health Care for Transgender Children

Also, puts restrictions on trans kids competing in sports K-12 and at the college level outside of their assigned gender at birth. 

Good idea? 

Why or why not?

How many kids are we talking about? 

What are the implications on the lives of the citizens effected(kids and parents)? Good or bad? 

Anyone live in Ohio, how do you feel this will effect your state? Good or bad? 

Everyone else, does this change your opinion of Ohio? Which direction? 

Also, puts restrictions on trans kids competing in sports K-12 and at the college level outside of their assigned gender at birth. 

Good idea? Yes (although I would like to see how “bans….mental health care” actually reads out) 

Why or why not? As it relates to making those types of decisions/moves at young age:  My oldest daughter was absolutely certain at a young age she was going to grow up to be a Muay Thai fighter, it’s all she talked and thought about. As she got older and experienced life as adult, her true path led her to art therapy. Imagine if we had made such a permanent decision for her at such a young age.  

As it relates to competing in sports, I think we all know the ‘why’  

How many kids are we talking about? Surely you don’t expect anyone on this board to have that answer  

What are the implications on the lives of the citizens effected(kids and parents)? Good or bad? Very loaded question, many effected, many effected in different ways, many would have been effected differently should it have went the other way.  Not a one size fits all answer to this.

Anyone live in Ohio, how do you feel this will effect your state? Good or bad? N/A

Everyone else, does this change your opinion of Ohio? Which direction?  None

• Fire 2

34 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Also, puts restrictions on trans kids competing in sports K-12 and at the college level outside of their assigned gender at birth. 

Good idea? 

Why or why not?

How many kids are we talking about? 

What are the implications on the lives of the citizens effected(kids and parents)? Good or bad? 

Anyone live in Ohio, how do you feel this will effect your state? Good or bad? 

Everyone else, does this change your opinion of Ohio? Which direction? 

It's a great day here in Ohio. Only women should play in women's sports.

• Fire 3

29 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Also, puts restrictions on trans kids competing in sports K-12 and at the college level outside of their assigned gender at birth. 

Good idea? Yes (although I would like to see how “bans….mental health care” actually reads out) 

Why or why not? As it relates to making those types of decisions/moves at young age:  My oldest daughter was absolutely certain at a young age she was going to grow up to be a Muay Thai fighter, it’s all she talked and thought about. As she got older and experienced life as adult, her true path led her to art therapy. Imagine if we had made such a permanent decision for her at such a young age.  

As it relates to competing in sports, I think we all know the ‘why’  

How many kids are we talking about? Surely you don’t expect anyone on this board to have that answer  

What are the implications on the lives of the citizens effected(kids and parents)? Good or bad? Very loaded question, many effected, many effected in different ways, many would have been effected differently should it have went the other way.  Not a one size fits all answer to this.

Anyone live in Ohio, how do you feel this will effect your state? Good or bad? N/A

Everyone else, does this change your opinion of Ohio? Which direction?  None

Why or why not? As it relates to making those types of decisions/moves at young age:  My oldest daughter was absolutely certain at a young age she was going to grow up to be a Muay Thai fighter, it’s all she talked and thought about. As she got older and experienced life as adult, her true path led her to art therapy. Imagine if we had made such a permanent decision for her at such a young age.  Your situation is unique to you and is not indicative of the experience of trans kids. Is it a good idea to take one case and paint every other similar case with the same brush? What ‘permanent decision’ could be done to aid in being a muay thai fighter? Aren’t there female fighters too?(I don’t know the industry very well or at all) Are you aware of the non-permanent treatments for trans kids?

As it relates to competing in sports, I think we all know the ‘why’  Nope. I don’t know what you mean. Plenty of reasons to let it happen. Especially at k-12 level. Curious why you think it shouldn’t?

How many kids are we talking about? Surely you don’t expect anyone on this board to have that answer  Fair point. Something to think about though. What % of kids and parents are we restricting?

What are the implications on the lives of the citizens effected(kids and parents)? Good or bad? Very loaded question, many effected, many effected in different ways, many would have been effected differently should it have went the other way.  Not a one size fits all answer to this. Lets try both sides. Trans kids(k-12): negatively, can’t get mental health care(what that means I don’t know, but don’t like the sound of it, seems overly restrictive and cruel), much of the treatment is non-permanent up to a point, why ban it all? Makes it so they don’t feel accepted as themselves by the entirety of their state government. That can’t feel good. Also, gives people with hate in the heart one less reason to act on those feelings. Otherizing people almost always leads to violence. Parents of trans kids(k-12): Negative, knowing that your government won’t let you give the care to you child you feel they need must be heart breaking. Potential violent reactions from members of the community based on incomplete or false information(ie, Comet PingPong Shooter) trying to ‘protect’ children. Cisgender kids(k-12): they aren’t really effected by the law. Seeing or knowing possible trans kids in the community might get them to ask questions. Is that bad? They might play sports with trans kids(contrary to the law going into effect in 90 days). How is that bad? Safety is always a concern. No one wants kids getting hurt on the pitch. Will that be effected one way or the other if trans kids are allowed to play sports? Idk. Are they losing opportunities to advance, better leagues or to college? I don’t know. Would love to see some info on it. Might help to decide one way or the other. Parents of cisgender kids(k-12): they aren’t effected by the law. Not really seeing any issues with trans kids being allowed to receive care that would effect this group. Any thoughts?

Anyone live in Ohio, how do you feel this will effect your state? Good or bad? N/A Fair

Everyone else, does this change your opinion of Ohio? Which direction?  None Hmm… how is that possible? Not even a little?

Edited by ThreePointTakedown

Why or why not? As it relates to making those types of decisions/moves at young age:  My oldest daughter was absolutely certain at a young age she was going to grow up to be a Muay Thai fighter, it’s all she talked and thought about. As she got older and experienced life as adult, her true path led her to art therapy. Imagine if we had made such a permanent decision for her at such a young age.  Your situation is unique to you and is not indicative of the experience of trans kids. Is it a good idea to take one case and paint every other similar case with the same brush? What ‘permanent decision’ could be done to aid in being a muay thai fighter? Aren’t there female fighters too?(I don’t know the industry very well or at all) Are you aware of the non-permanent treatments for trans kids?  

>Where I'm from we call this an "example".  In this case to illustrate a scenario where choosing a sport for a child is not nearly as impactful as "choosing" a gender for a child.

As it relates to competing in sports, I think we all know the ‘why’  Nope. I don’t know what you mean. Plenty of reasons to let it happen. Especially at k-12 level. Curious why you think it shouldn’t? 

>If you are honestly going to tell me you don't know why a person, particularly on an athletics board, would not be in favor of a biological male competing in female sports (lets be honest that's what we're talking about here), then you are either being purposely disingenuous, or you have completely chosen to ignore the other side of this debate.  Either way is an issue for you to address, not others.

How many kids are we talking about? Surely you don’t expect anyone on this board to have that answer  Fair point. Something to think about though. What % of kids and parents are we restricting?  

> Same answer

What are the implications on the lives of the citizens effected(kids and parents)? Good or bad? Very loaded question, many effected, many effected in different ways, many would have been effected differently should it have went the other way.  Not a one size fits all answer to this. Lets try both sides. Trans kids(k-12): negatively, can’t get mental health care(what that means I don’t know, but don’t like the sound of it, seems overly restrictive and cruel), much of the treatment is non-permanent up to a point, why ban it all? Makes it so they don’t feel accepted as themselves by the entirety of their state government. That can’t feel good. Also, gives people with hate in the heart one less reason to act on those feelings. Otherizing people almost always leads to violence. Parents of trans kids(k-12): Negative, knowing that your government won’t let you give the care to you child you feel they need must be heart breaking. Potential violent reactions from members of the community based on incomplete or false information(ie, Comet PingPong Shooter) trying to ‘protect’ children. Cisgender kids(k-12): they aren’t really effected by the law. Seeing or knowing possible trans kids in the community might get them to ask questions. Is that bad? They might play sports with trans kids(contrary to the law going into effect in 90 days). How is that bad? Safety is always a concern. No one wants kids getting hurt on the pitch. Will that be effected one way or the other if trans kids are allowed to play sports? Idk. Are they losing opportunities to advance, better leagues or to college? I don’t know. Would love to see some info on it. Might help to decide one way or the other. Parents of cisgender kids(k-12): they aren’t effected by the law. Not really seeing any issues with trans kids being allowed to receive care that would effect this group. Any thoughts?

> I said in my response I would like to see how the mental health aspect of it reads out.  So far you have only offered that you don't know, so I don't really have anything more to go on at this point. 

Anyone live in Ohio, how do you feel this will effect your state? Good or bad? N/A Fair

Everyone else, does this change your opinion of Ohio? Which direction?  None Hmm… how is that possible? Not even a little?  

> I wanted to give you the benefit of doubt in your real purpose of asking these questions, but since you even had to rebut my answer to this question among the others....rebuttal seems to be your real purpose.     To answer your question, how is that possible:   I read the statement you wrote, inside.....nothing happened.  I got no feeling of favor toward Ohio, I got no feeling of angst toward Ohio. I got nothing, I just answered the questions.

If you are going to ask how that is possible, I think you are going to have to talk to someone more profound in the world of psychology.

• Fire 4

22 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

>Where I'm from we call this an "example".  In this case to illustrate a scenario where choosing a sport for a child is not nearly as impactful as "choosing" a gender for a child.

>If you are honestly going to tell me you don't know why a person, particularly on an athletics board, would not be in favor of a biological male competing in female sports (lets be honest that's what we're talking about here), then you are either being purposely disingenuous, or you have completely chosen to ignore the other side of this debate.  Either way is an issue for you to address, not others.

> Same answer

What are the implications on the lives of the citizens effected(kids and parents)? Good or bad? Very loaded question, many effected, many effected in different ways, many would have been effected differently should it have went the other way.  Not a one size fits all answer to this. Lets try both sides. Trans kids(k-12): negatively, can’t get mental health care(what that means I don’t know, but don’t like the sound of it, seems overly restrictive and cruel), much of the treatment is non-permanent up to a point, why ban it all? Makes it so they don’t feel accepted as themselves by the entirety of their state government. That can’t feel good. Also, gives people with hate in the heart one less reason to act on those feelings. Otherizing people almost always leads to violence. Parents of trans kids(k-12): Negative, knowing that your government won’t let you give the care to you child you feel they need must be heart breaking. Potential violent reactions from members of the community based on incomplete or false information(ie, Comet PingPong Shooter) trying to ‘protect’ children. Cisgender kids(k-12): they aren’t really effected by the law. Seeing or knowing possible trans kids in the community might get them to ask questions. Is that bad? They might play sports with trans kids(contrary to the law going into effect in 90 days). How is that bad? Safety is always a concern. No one wants kids getting hurt on the pitch. Will that be effected one way or the other if trans kids are allowed to play sports? Idk. Are they losing opportunities to advance, better leagues or to college? I don’t know. Would love to see some info on it. Might help to decide one way or the other. Parents of cisgender kids(k-12): they aren’t effected by the law. Not really seeing any issues with trans kids being allowed to receive care that would effect this group. Any thoughts?

> I said in my response I would like to see how the mental health aspect of it reads out.  So far you have only offered that you don't know, so I don't really have anything more to go on at this point. 

Anyone live in Ohio, how do you feel this will effect your state? Good or bad? N/A Fair

Everyone else, does this change your opinion of Ohio? Which direction?  None Hmm… how is that possible? Not even a little?  

> I wanted to give you the benefit of doubt in your real purpose of asking these questions, but since you even had to rebut my answer to this question among the others....rebuttal seems to be your real purpose.     To answer your question, how is that possible:   I read the statement you wrote, inside.....nothing happened.  I got no feeling of favor toward Ohio, I got no feeling of angst toward Ohio. I got nothing, I just answered the questions.

If you are going to ask how that is possible, I think you are going to have to talk to someone more profound in the world of psychology.

You think being transgender is a choice? Seeking treatment for that condition may be if you even have the option. 

'If you are honestly going to tell me you don't know why a person, particularly on an athletics board, would not be in favor of a biological male competing in female sports (lets be honest that's what we're talking about here), then you are either being purposely disingenuous, or you have completely chosen to ignore the other side of this debate.  Either way is an issue for you to address, not others.'

It seems as if you are uncomfortable making a declaration on the issue. Instead assuming that everyone already knows. We don't. If you feel it could lead to negative outcomes if you were to list possible options. I get it. I mentioned safety. That's always an issue. Regardless of the sport or who is playing. Would I want to see that safety and control is maintained in every sport as we move forward? Yes. I don't see how that is effected by this issue. Especially when we're talking about k-12 kids. There are protocols that are in place(that change and are updated) trans athletes must abide by to compete at different levels. Why would that have to change to compete in k-12 sports? What is the downside? 

Are you concerned with winning and losing? That kids feel they achieve certain milestones at their age level and this could hinder that? 

I'm not super jazzed about the idea of kid thinking his/her entire community is against them playing a sport they like with the people, they feel, they associate with and feel most comfortable because of a thing for which they had no control.  

Numbers of trans people in the country just keep in mind this has echoes of the gay/lesbian panic of the 70's and 80's. People worried that the numbers were growing out of control. History of how congress has treated LGBTQ+ community

You can respond to questions/posts or not. No one is twisting your arm. So please don't try to convince me or yourself that you know or understand my intent. If you must know, my intent is to find out the level of understand on this board, of this issue. I have my opinion as do you. That you feel attacked by my questions or my posts is not my concern. You can address the points as you see fit. But if you're here to converse, lets just stick to that. 

12 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

You think being transgender is a choice? Seeking treatment for that condition may be if you even have the option. 

'If you are honestly going to tell me you don't know why a person, particularly on an athletics board, would not be in favor of a biological male competing in female sports (lets be honest that's what we're talking about here), then you are either being purposely disingenuous, or you have completely chosen to ignore the other side of this debate.  Either way is an issue for you to address, not others.'

It seems as if you are uncomfortable making a declaration on the issue. Instead assuming that everyone already knows. We don't. If you feel it could lead to negative outcomes if you were to list possible options. I get it. I mentioned safety. That's always an issue. Regardless of the sport or who is playing. Would I want to see that safety and control is maintained in every sport as we move forward? Yes. I don't see how that is effected by this issue. Especially when we're talking about k-12 kids. There are protocols that are in place(that change and are updated) trans athletes must abide by to compete at different levels. Why would that have to change to compete in k-12 sports? What is the downside? 

Are you concerned with winning and losing? That kids feel they achieve certain milestones at their age level and this could hinder that? 

I'm not super jazzed about the idea of kid thinking his/her entire community is against them playing a sport they like with the people, they feel, they associate with and feel most comfortable because of a thing for which they had no control.  

Numbers of trans people in the country just keep in mind this has echoes of the gay/lesbian panic of the 70's and 80's. People worried that the numbers were growing out of control. History of how congress has treated LGBTQ+ community

You can respond to questions/posts or not. No one is twisting your arm. So please don't try to convince me or yourself that you know or understand my intent. If you must know, my intent is to find out the level of understand on this board, of this issue. I have my opinion as do you. That you feel attacked by my questions or my posts is not my concern. You can address the points as you see fit. But if you're here to converse, lets just stick to that. 

I rest my case....

• Fire 3

16 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

You think being transgender is a choice?

In some cases, not all, but in some cases.....yes.   I believe the same for homosexuality.    I believe in a majority of those cases where it is a choice, it is a response...to something.    This is where I would be very interested in the mental health aspect of this.

• Fire 1

Why is there only concern for the trans kid that wants to play girls sports?  What about the girls who have their spots or playing time taken away by a biological male. There’s no impact on them mentally?      

• Fire 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

In some cases, not all, but in some cases.....yes.   I believe the same for homosexuality.    I believe in a majority of those cases where it is a choice, it is a response...to something.    This is where I would be very interested in the mental health aspect of this.

Agreed. Mental health is important in all of those situations. 

Why do you feel that being trans or gay is a response to something? 

41 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Why is there only concern for the trans kid that wants to play girls sports?  What about the girls who have their spots or playing time taken away by a biological male. There’s no impact on them mentally?      

I don't think the concern is only trans kids to play girls sports. Girls have tried to play boy's sports for a long time. Its old hat. But they are a smaller group that, based on the law in Ohio, are now in the spotlight for being different. When has that worked out in the past? Gay people? Slaves? Just about every wave of immigration in this country? We've almost always created, out of thin air, reasons to otherize members of said community. And punching down is never a good look. 

Are there? You talking k-12? Where are these happening? What are the situations? Are they being impacted, mentally? That's a good conversation to have. 

The thing is if we are scared that a problem might exist and try to make rules to prevent it. There are no ways to tell if we did it for nothing. Granted there might be some harm done to some people. There almost always is. The conversation would need to shift to what harm is being done to whom and which is more significant. Those aren't easy questions to answer. 

If more teams need to be created so that the same number of competitors can have playing time for sport. That might be an easy fix to keeping a population of people, that are more prone to suicide, alive. 

Edited by ThreePointTakedown

There are only 6 transgender student athletes. Only 3 of them were actually approved to play. So that’s 3 out of how many student athletes? That’s the biggest thing that legislation is needed for right now? https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2023/05/11/house-committee-passes-bill-banning-trans-athletes-from-ohio-womens-sports-talks-higher-ed-bill/

12 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

I don't think the concern is only trans kids to play girls sports. Girls have tried to play boy's sports for a long time. Its old hat. But they are a smaller group that, based on the law in Ohio, are now in the spotlight for being different. When has that worked out in the past? Gay people? Slaves? Just about every wave of immigration in this country? We've almost always created, out of thin air, reasons to otherize members of said community. And punching down is never a good look. 

Are there? You talking k-12? Where are these happening? What are the situations? Are they being impacted, mentally? That's a good conversation to have. 

The thing is if we are scared that a problem might exist and try to make rules to prevent it. There are no ways to tell if we did it for nothing. Granted there might be some harm done to some people. There almost always is. The conversation would need to shift to what harm is being done to whom and which is more significant. Those aren't easy questions to answer. 

If more teams need to be created so that the same number of competitors can have playing time for sport. That might be an easy fix to keeping a population of people, that are more prone to suicide, alive. 

Where can’t girls participate in boys sports if they’re good enough?? The debate is almost exclusively about biological boys participating in girls sports. 

16 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

A biological boy playing girls sports is punching down and you’re correct it’s not a good look. 

18 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Does your world ever realize that it costs money to do everything you you think is right. Create more teams sounds so simple. Smh. How about the trans kids form their own teams ??????   Show me ANYWHERE that there’s been a conversation concerning the girls that lost their spot or playing time to a biological boy.   Other than the parents of those children nobody seems to care.  

2 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Does your world ever realize that it costs money to do everything you you think is right. Create more teams sounds so simple. Smh. How about the trans kids form their own teams ??????   Show me ANYWHERE that there’s been a conversation concerning the girls that lost their spot or playing time to a biological boy.   Other than the parents of those children nobody seems to care.  

this rhetoric is crazy. just replace a few words and its like its the civil rights movement over again. Does your world ever realize that it costs money to do everything you you think is right. Create more teams sounds so simple. Smh. How about the black kids form their own teams ??????   

Edited by braves121
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, braves121 said:

I find it funny that the party that screams about the government being too big, forcing medical decisions, and full of overreach applaud for this

It reminds me of how funny the people/party that say “my body my choice” are  but then scream about people should be forced to get Covid shots.  

Just now, JimmyBT said:

It reminds me of how funny the people/party that say “my body my choice” are  but then scream about people should be forced to get Covid shots.  

Did you or anyone you know get forced to get vaccinated?

6 minutes ago, braves121 said:

this rhetoric is crazy. just replace a few words and its like its the civil rights movement over again. Does your world ever realize that it costs money to do everything you you think is right. Create more teams sounds so simple. Smh. How about the black kids form their own teams ??????   

6 minutes ago, braves121 said:

What crock of shit.  Biology (science) clearly plays a part in this discussion soooooo.  And these kids currently have a place to play. It’s called boys sports.   

Edited by JimmyBT

Just now, JimmyBT said:

Yep.  They had to to keep their gov job 

Well that is actually not really being forced. He had the choice to get vaccinated and retain his job. Thanks to the free market he also has the ability to get a different job. that is not really being forced, more so consequences of ones actions. If a school that I really wanted to go too required MMR vaccines but I chose not to get one that is not forcing me, that is consequences of one's decisions and actions

1 minute ago, braves121 said:

Well that is actually not really being forced. He had the choice to get vaccinated and retain his job. Thanks to the free market he also has the ability to get a different job. that is not really being forced, more so consequences of ones actions. If a school that I really wanted to go too required MMR vaccines but I chose not to get one that is not forcing me, that is consequences of one's decisions and actions

It’s being forced. 

Edited by JimmyBT