First Coaches' Rankings

BigRedFan

Just now, BigRedFan said:

What's the apparent rule that causes them to leave Arujau out of the 133 rankings?

The coaches’ rankings are determined by a vote of 14 coaches in each weight class with two head coaches from each of the seven conferences. For ranking purposes, coaches may only consider a wrestler that has been designated as a starter at a respective weight class. Wrestlers must have eight Division I matches in the weight class to be considered with at least one within the last 30 days.

9 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

The coaches’ rankings are determined by a vote of 14 coaches in each weight class with two head coaches from each of the seven conferences. For ranking purposes, coaches may only consider a wrestler that has been designated as a starter at a respective weight class. Wrestlers must have eight Division I matches in the weight class to be considered with at least one within the last 30 days.

So, double failure on Vito's part (five matches, last one on 12/18).  If he wrestles three matches this weekend, he'll then qualify.  How often do they do these?

3 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

So, double failure on Vito's part (five matches, last one on 12/18).  If he wrestles three matches this weekend, he'll then qualify.  How often do they do these?

Four times, but the 4th is after conference tournaments so nobody notices that one.  The 2nd one is in mid-February.  But I'm kind of expecting that we'll see a revised 1st set in a day or two -- Penn State had two upperweights wrestle their 8th match yesterday but they're not ranked, which means yesterday's results weren't counted.  There's a reason that these rankings have been released on Thursdays in the past; gives time for the coaches to look at all the results.

20 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Four times, but the 4th is after conference tournaments so nobody notices that one.  The 2nd one is in mid-February.  But I'm kind of expecting that we'll see a revised 1st set in a day or two -- Penn State had two upperweights wrestle their 8th match yesterday but they're not ranked, which means yesterday's results weren't counted.  There's a reason that these rankings have been released on Thursdays in the past; gives time for the coaches to look at all the results.

The coaches' rankings were due last Friday.

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

The coaches' rankings were due last Friday.

Check again, though I could be wrong.  They originally used last year's calendar and scheduled the final day of results for tournament qualification a week early, on 2/18/2024.  A couple of weeks ago the schedule was modified and now shows 2/25/2024 as the final results date.  Everything backs up from that date.  The original grid was overwritten:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/wrestling/d1/men/2023-24D1MWR_QualifierAllocationCriteria.pdf

These are the dates that I'm using --

Thu, Jan. 25th:                        First Coaches' Panel (CP) Rankings released

Sat, Jan. 27th:                       Beginning of 30-day period for 3rd CP Rankings

Thu, Feb. 15th:                       Second CP, first Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Rankings released

Sun, Feb. 25th:                     End of 30-day period for 3rd CP Rankings; pre-allocated spots based on matches through this date

Thu, Feb. 29th:                    Third CP, second RPI, NCAA pre-allocated spots announced

F/S, Mar. 8th-9th:                 EIWA tournament

Thu, Mar. 14th:                      At-Large bids released (on or before this date)

Thu, Mar. 14th:                   NCAA Brackets posted; Fourth CP, third RPI released

Thu, Mar. 21st:                       Replacement deadline -- one alternate at each weight class on standby at weigh-ins (two alternates are selected in each weight class)

T/F/S, Mar. 21st-23rd:      NCAA tournament

The rankings released on Mar. 14th will be used to determine the At-Large bids.

25 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

Check again, though I could be wrong.  They originally used last year's calendar and scheduled the final day of results for tournament qualification a week early, on 2/18/2024.  A couple of weeks ago the schedule was modified and now shows 2/25/2024 as the final results date.  Everything backs up from that date.  The original grid was overwritten:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/wrestling/d1/men/2023-24D1MWR_QualifierAllocationCriteria.pdf

These are the dates that I'm using --

Thu, Jan. 25th:                        First Coaches' Panel (CP) Rankings released

Sat, Jan. 27th:                       Beginning of 30-day period for 3rd CP Rankings

Thu, Feb. 15th:                       Second CP, first Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Rankings released

Sun, Feb. 25th:                     End of 30-day period for 3rd CP Rankings; pre-allocated spots based on matches through this date

Thu, Feb. 29th:                    Third CP, second RPI, NCAA pre-allocated spots announced

F/S, Mar. 8th-9th:                 EIWA tournament

Thu, Mar. 14th:                      At-Large bids released (on or before this date)

Thu, Mar. 14th:                   NCAA Brackets posted; Fourth CP, third RPI released

Thu, Mar. 21st:                       Replacement deadline -- one alternate at each weight class on standby at weigh-ins (two alternates are selected in each weight class)

T/F/S, Mar. 21st-23rd:      NCAA tournament

The rankings released on Mar. 14th will be used to determine the At-Large bids.

• Fire 2