The Government can’t give someone something without first taking it from someone else

26 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Why do you think this is point in your favor? If you have a point to make why don't you make it. Instead of shut down a conversation. 

Shutting down someone feels great and all but why not convince them of your point? Who wins when you do that? 

Who did I shut down with that comment???  Nobody. 

1 hour ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

But ya, their explanation of the tax system is wrong. Former Labor Secretary (youtube vid of him explaining where your tax dollars go) 

Will you explain how it gets the tax system wrong?

That video explains where our taxes go.

Funded programs should have cuts until the government executes debt-to-zero or surplus management.

The former labor secretary should go into how much waste there is with the tax dollars. 

The government spends the money, and when that doesn't work, it spends even more money.  Gross.

Here is one of many sources that point out how much waste there is with our tax dollars.  

28 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

It is too low. 

I wish I could afford to pay more. But I can't. If I made more, I'd pay more and that's fine with me. 

I want people in much worse places than me to get a leg up and not suffer for the bad luck of being born in their situation. Money doesn't trickle down. We know this. As a non-rich person. It does me no good to vote for people that try to help rich people keep their money. Taxing them more will not make them suffer or fall out of their rich-ness. But will help many poor people become contributing members of society. Which I imagine is something everyone can get behind. 

First you say theyre too low.  Then you say you’d pay more if you could but you can’t.  If the government raised them higher like you want wouldn’t you have to figure out how to pay it???   Just pretend the gov raised your taxes. 

Edited by JimmyBT
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

It’s happening. So you’re against that??? 

Is it? Where? 

I'm in favor of spending money to make money. Education, a better healthcare system, and helping people become citizens are investments. Much research has been done that returns on these investments are substantially higher. If this is the case would you be in favor of it? 

Teachers rank third, behind engineers and accountants, on a top-five list of careers most likely to have millionaires within their ranks. Business professionals and lawyers ranked fourth and fifth.

Teachers average ~$50K annually.

My eldest daughter made $25 - $30 an hour with tips in her first job as a server at a mall strip restaurant.  Metro fringe area in the midwest.  No education is required... and this introvert, I love her, has limits on her social skills.

Discipline to live within one's means.  Say no to what goes against your goals.  One has goals, right?  Save.  Exercise.  Have relationships.  This goes a long way to one's well-being.

^^^ That is my primary belief... that most can achieve if they decide to achieve.

If you want to pay more in taxes, make more money.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Is it? Where? 

I'm in favor of spending money to make money. Education, a better healthcare system, and helping people become citizens are investments. Much research has been done that returns on these investments are substantially higher. If this is the case would you be in favor of it? 

Every unlawful immigrant in this country right now is where it’s happening. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

First you say theyre too low.  Then you say you’d pay more if you could but you can’t.  If the government raised them higher like you want wouldn’t you have to figure out how to pay it???   Just pretend the gov raised your taxes. 

I'd have to yes. Would I also receive a non-zero benefit from the raised taxes? Probably. Would others, in a worse situation, get more benefit from those raised taxes? I hope so. Would it be worth it? Yes. 

Do you feel it would not be worth someone less well off to get a benefit from someone who can afford it, paying higher taxes? 

2 minutes ago, jross said:

Teachers rank third, behind engineers and accountants, on a top-five list of careers most likely to have millionaires within their ranks. Business professionals and lawyers ranked fourth and fifth.

My eldest daughter made $25 - $30 an hour with tips in her first job as a server at a mall strip restaurant.  Metro fringe area in the midwest.  No education is required... and this introvert, I love her, has limits on her social skills.

Discipline to live within one's means.  Say no to what goes against your goals.  One has goals, right?  Save.  Exercise.  Have relationships.  This goes a long way to one's well-being.

^^^ That is my primary belief... that most can achieve if they decide to achieve.

You've made this point before without say where the info comes from. Put up or... ya know. 

Just now, ThreePointTakedown said:

I'd have to yes. Would I also receive a non-zero benefit from the raised taxes? Probably. Would others, in a worse situation, get more benefit from those raised taxes? I hope so. Would it be worth it? Yes. 

Do you feel it would not be worth someone less well off to get a benefit from someone who can afford it, paying higher taxes? 

You still haven’t told me why you can’t afford it 

5 minutes ago, jross said:

You really kinda need to categorize teachers here. There are ‘teachers’ who publish papers and do speaking engagements and research and things like that while their grad asst is doing the teaching. And then there are teachers that are in car line every morning. 

And that is not to say anything negative in anyway about any form of teacher, but I think I little more is warranted given the context. 

2 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

You really kinda need to categorize teachers here. There are ‘teachers’ who publish papers and do speaking engagements and research and things like that while their grad asst is doing the teaching. And then there are teachers that are in car line every morning. 

And that is not to say anything negative in anyway about any form of teacher, but I think I little more is warranted given the context. 

(and I say all of this giving you the assumption that these rankings, wherever they came from, our actually accurate) 

Edited by WrestlingRasta

5 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Nope, you don’t HAVE to have God’s gift to gain some enlightenment, but sometimes it can help get you started. 

We call them ‘groundings’.  

Not sure who “we” is but that’s not what I call it. 

Just now, WrestlingRasta said:

I know. You are not included in that ‘we’. It’s why I was informing you. If you were a part of ‘we’, you wouldn’t have needed informed. 

Needed informed?  Sounds like you hit it early today

Education is the enabler behind success.

Once education is made more effective and efficient with its current funds, increased education funds is a solid choice.  What programs are you going to cut from to increase the Education balance?  

1 minute ago, jross said:

Education is the enabler behind success.

Once education is made more effective and efficient with its current funds, increased education funds is a solid choice.  What programs are you going to cut from to increase the Education balance?  

IMO it’s one of the enablers. An important one, yes, but I’ve met and worked with a lot of straight A stupid people.  Smart as f”’k but no common sense or work ethic. 

Jimmy and TPT were walking around when they saw a homeless person. Jimmy did something awesome – he gave the guy his business card, saying there might be a job for him at his place, and then handed him 20 bucks just to help out.

TPT was impressed with Jimmy's kindness, so when they spotted another homeless person, TPT thought, "Why not chip in?" TPT shared directions to the welfare office, swiped 20 bucks from Jimmy's pocket, kept 15 for admin fees, and gave the homeless person a fiver. 

I kid, I kid.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

IMO it’s one of the enablers. An important one, yes, but I’ve met and worked with a lot of straight A stupid people.  Smart as f”’k but no common sense or work ethic. 

Yes.  But common sense and work ethic are education too.