How's About We Keep Upping The Stupid, Eh, Friends?

Ban Basketball

45 minutes ago, jross said:

Humanities courses are a requirement for most college degrees.  

Are you implying humanities courses are far left? I took mythology and something else I can't remember, but I didn't think The Odessey was particularly political. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

What about college curriculums is "far left"? I was a wildlife major, so beyond gen eds, I took courses primarily in the sciences; biology, chemistry, wildlife management, genetics, statistics, etc. I know some on the right consider evolution, a round earth, and science in general to be "far left". But nothing in my courses would objectively fall under that designation. I had plenty of peers on the right and never heard any complaining. 

I can't speak to business, philosophy, journalism, etc. courses, and I can only relay my experiences from the two schools I got degrees from.

I think Republicans may be thrown off by the fact that some colleges are referred to as liberal arts schools. That doesn't mean what you think it means. 

i spent way too long in college. particularly in grad programs. 

it's a cess pool of wokeness, victimhood, and all kinds of pie in the sky jibberish. 

TBD

22 hours ago, Nailbender said:

I never addressed the accuracy of the news but you're right, you probably shouldn't go there.

Good luck finding news like described. It's very rare or doesn't even exist. If you think you found it, it just means you found your echo chamber. "They can't be biased, they agree with me and talk about all the stories I care about!"

Maybe if you can't tell how they vote, it's because your powers of perception just aren't that strong. Your perception of the news you watch has exactly zero to do with it's accuracy or bias. It sounded good though. 

Really!? I've been tuning into reported news my whole life- I'm probably older than you are- and I find it three times daily. 

Talk to an actual trained journalist some time about who,  what,  where,  when,  why,  and how.  They can easily inform you how it works and that it is what their job depends on. 

• Haha 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

are you guys suggesting that colleges don't have far left curriculum? 

I know of one college intimately for 23 years,  and several others for 5 years,  and,  nope,  no libberol curriculum.

It's called academic freedom in higher education,  which is highly prized and guarded.  No one is told to teach ANY curriculum.  :classic_huh:

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 hours ago, jross said:

Yes, which includes religion and philosophy courses.  A large chunk of those faculty are conservatives,  which is great. 

No whining about ideology here!

37 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i spent way too long in college. particularly in grad programs. 

it's a cess pool of wokeness, victimhood, and all kinds of pie in the sky jibberish. 

I guess we had very different experiences. I didn't get that from any of my professors or their curriculum. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, jross said:

Yes, which includes religion and philosophy courses.  A large chunk of those faculty are conservatives,  which is great. 

No whining about ideology here!

I'm reminded again of my own quote that reveals itself each and every time I engage with non-educators: " those who claim to know the most about education and the education system actually know the least about it."

It's like me trying to act informed,  talking about engineering.  I'm going to look stupid and out of my league FAST!

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

I'm reminded again of my own quote that reveals itself each and every time I engage with non-educators: " those who claim to know the most about education and the education system actually know the least about it."

It's like me trying to act informed,  talking about engineering.  I'm going to look stupid and out of my league FAST!

For the record, you said it not us....

-

Educators may know "their arena" but only know what they know. They need help to look at it from a different perspective. Engineering (which I don't know anything about) has hard facts; education not so much. It is more philosophical. The analogy does not fit. Not all educators are dopes either.

• Fire 1

That’s to keep your whining ass shut. You want off this ranch, you got it. I’ll drive your ass to the train station myself.

16 minutes ago, Viratas said:

For the record, you said it not us....

-

Educators may know "their arena" but only know what they know. They need help to look at it from a different perspective. Engineering (which I don't know anything about) has hard facts; education not so much. It is more philosophical. The analogy does not fit. Not all educators are dopes either.

Really?! No science or research goes into education? No educational theories tested,  re-tested, formulated,  re-formulated?

That's news to me,  and why I refer to my quote so often.  🤣

2 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Really?! No science or research goes into education? No educational theories tested,  re-tested, formulated,  re-formulated?

That's news to me,  and why I refer to my quote so often.  🤣

Still the same old BB, you know the point but you are the king of the Straw man...

That’s to keep your whining ass shut. You want off this ranch, you got it. I’ll drive your ass to the train station myself.

7 minutes ago, Viratas said:

Still the same old BB, you know the point but you are the king of the Straw man...

Which strawman? Are you refuting what I asked you,  sir? Education is static and never scientifically develops?

Maybe you can work to get me banned here too! Seems my ideas are still dangerous. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

6 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Which strawman? Are you refuting what I asked you,  sir? Education is static and never scientifically develops?

Maybe you can work to get me banned here too! Seems my ideas are still dangerous. 

LMAO, I never got you banned. Why would you say such a silly thing? Even when people somewhat agree with you, you are caustic. I find it cute. Anyways, no need to get circular with you. Still laughing that you thought I got you banned. I would never in a million years want to see you banned. You and coach sparky are two of the best comedic posters of all time!

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Viratas said:

LMAO, I never got you banned. Why would you say such a silly thing? Even when people somewhat agree with you, you are caustic. I find it cute. Anyways, no need to get circular with you. Still laughing that you thought I got you banned. I would never in a million years want to see you banned. You and coach sparky are two of the best comedic posters of all time!

The site was owned by you,  right? If so,  and by your own words,  you wouldn't want to see me banned,  why didn't you override the ban?

Edited by Ban Basketball

8 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

Really!? I've been tuning into reported news my whole life- I'm probably older than you are- and I find it three times daily. 

Talk to an actual trained journalist some time about who,  what,  where,  when,  why,  and how.  They can easily inform you how it works and that it is what their job depends on. 

Please, by all means share this noble and perfect news source so that I too can drink from the fountain of truth and knowledge.

1 hour ago, Nailbender said:

Please, by all means share this noble and perfect news source so that I too can drink from the fountain of truth and knowledge.

Well,  I think the better question is this: which news source(s) should I use to get this accurate information?

I love learning,  so please share. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

So, in short, I'm assuming you failed out. (This is what 'bitter' usually looks like.)

no, i did not fail out. in fact i was on a fellowship.

why am i 'bitter'? 

i'm just stating a widely accepted (except, bizarrely, on here) that universities are roundly liberal. frankly, i can't believe there's this much dispute. it's a known thing. 

TBD

59 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i'm just stating a widely accepted (except, bizarrely, on here) that universities are roundly liberal. frankly, i can't believe there's this much dispute. it's a known thing. 

University towns are democratic hubs, no doubt. But you are implying that the universities and their professors are pushing a liberal agenda through their curriculum. Which is utter nonsense. 

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

Well,  I think the better question is this: which news source(s) should I use to get this accurate information?

I love learning,  so please share. 

Happy Excuse Me GIF

If you recall, my argument is that there is not an unbiased source for news. Why on earth would you think I'd have an answer to your question?

Shirley you can't be serious.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

University towns are democratic hubs, no doubt. But you are implying that the universities and their professors are pushing a liberal agenda through their curriculum. Which is utter nonsense. 

i'm not gonna argue with you if you want to keep your head in the sand.

it's widely known and accepted. do a simple google search ffs.

look up a list of the ridiculous grad course offerings and course descriptions.

and there are a gazillion videos / news stories about bonkers professors spouting and assigning nonsense. 

and ultimately - i lived it. in multiple programs at multiple universities with multiple professors, grad school roommates, cohorts and friends. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

TBD