Collegiate Duals

Tuesday Ohio State opens up with #21 Northern Iowa(who beat the Buckeyes last year). Lock Haven is next and then #2 NCST.
Buckeyes will be looking to bounce back after the loss to PITT.

125-Brendan McCrone (R-Fr) or Vinny Kilkeary (Fr.)
133-No. 12 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr.) or Andre Gonzales (R-So.)
141-No. 3 Jesse Mendez (So.) or Brandon Cannon (Fr.)
149-No. 4 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr.) or Brock Herman (Fr.)
157-No. 13 Paddy Gallagher (R-So.)
165-No. 21 Isaac Wilcox (Sr.) or Bryce Hepner (R-Jr.)
174-Rocco Welsh (Fr.) or Carter Chase (R-Fr.)
184-No. 16 Gavin Hoff man (Gr.) or Seth Shumate (R-Fr.) or Ryder Rogotzke (Fr.)
197-No. 23 Luke Geog (R-Fr.)
HWT-No. 18 Nick Feldman (R-Fr.) or Hogan Swenski (R-So.)

Ohio State is 7-8 all time vs. Panthers, 6-1 vs. Lock Haven and 4-0-1 against the
Wolfpack.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/news/2023/12/19/wrestling-no-8-buckeyes-at-2023-collegiae-duals-updates

OHIO STATE 26, NORTHERN IOWA 7                                                       OSU       UNI
125        Mccrone (OSU) DEC Anderson (UNI), 10-8                             3              0
133        Farber (UNI) DEC Bouzakis (OSU), 5-1                                      3              3
141        Mendez (OSU) DEC Happel (UNI), 4-2                                      6              3
149        Demilio (OSU) MAJ Allard (UNI), 11-1                                      10           3
157        Gallagher (OSU) DEC Downey (UNI), 4-1                                 13           3
165        Wilcox (OSU) DEC Yant (UNI), 4-2                                              16           3
174        Welsh (OSU) DEC Simma (UNI), 4-1                                           19           3
184        Keckeisen (UNI) MAJ Rogotzke (OSU), 17-4                           19           7
197        Geog (OSU) MAJ Runyon (UNI), 14-4                                        23           7
285        Swenski (OSU) DEC Valdez (UNI), 8-2                                       26           7

OHIO STATE 28, LOCK HAVEN 9                             OSU     LH
125      Noto (LH) DEC Kilkeary (OSU), 10-3               0          3
133      Strickland (LH) DEC Gonzales (OSU), 6-1        0          6
141      Mendez (OSU) TF Zeamer (LH), 19-3, 5:16       5          6
149      Demilio (OSU) DEC Stonecheck (LH), 9-6        8          6
157      Gallagher (OSU) TF Hogan (LH), 19-4 4:25      13        6
165      Hepner (OSU) DEC Alderfer (LH), 7-1             16        6
174      Stoltzfus (LH) DEC Chase (OSU), 9-6               16        9
184      Hoffman (OSU) MAJ Fegley (LH), 20-6            20        9
197      Geog (OSU) TF Morrison (LH), 21-4, 4:36        25        9
HWT    Swenski (OSU) DEC Miller (LH), 8-1               28        9

OHIO STATE 21, NC STATE 12                               OSU     NCST
125      Mccrone (OSU) WBF Camacho (NCST), 0:37   6          0
133      Bouzakis (OSU) WBF Orine (NCST), 0:51        12        0
141      Mendez (OSU) WBF Jack (NCST), 6:54            18        0
149      Arrington (NCST) DEC Demilio (OSU), 5-3      18        3
157      Scott (NCST) DEC Gallagher (OSU), 4-2          18        6
165      Fields (NCST) DEC Wilcox (OSU), 4-1             18        9
174      Welsh (OSU) DEC Faison (NCST), 9-6             21        9
184      Fishback (NCST) DEC Rogotzke (OSU), 7-3     21        12
197      Hidlay (NCST) TF Geog (OSU), 22-7               21        17
HWT    Trephan (NCST) DEC Feldman (OSU), 8-6       21        20

Feldman needs to get a tank back and past whatever mental hurdle stopped him from pulling the trigger against Trephan.

Trephan did weigh in at 255lbs, but I don't think it was a size thing.

Geog just got brutalized against Hidlay... not getting pinned won them the dual, though (on top of the three pins and Welsh victory at 174).

Rogotzke has a better chance to pin just about anyone, but if he isn't winning against guys like Fishback then I think you keep in on Redshirt.

Chase weighed in at 166lbs... I hope he's not the answer at 174.  Wilcox or Hepner would be better options if Welsh is to remain on Redshirt.  I say pull the shirt, though.

Wilcox needs to be winning those matches against guys like Fields.  I still hope it's Hepner that gets the eventual nod come B1Gs.

Paddy is looking much improved from last year, which is impressive being that him dropping to 157 was sort of a late decision and last year it seemed that weight management was his major problem.  I am impressed with his progression.  For those keeping track, he is 16W - 4L on the season.  He was 12W - 11L last year.  He has avenged on loss (to Block of UNI yesterday) and his other three losses are to two gents who are looking to contend come NCAAs in Scott (4-2) and Andonian (7-4, 8-2).

DD is wrestling good tight matches against guys who will contend for a title this year (Sans Lovett/Parco...).  He is also wrestling good, tight matches against guys who are fringe NQ type guys.  He is 16W-4L on the season, but 4W-4L against gents rated in the Top 33 on Wrestlestat.  I think he is still adjusting to the weight a bit (these guys got quite a bit more horse than 141lbers) and will settle come B1G season.

Mendez is going to be a problem come NCAAs.  He is right there to contend.

Bouzakis had a roller-coaster weekend.  Lost to a Fringe NQ guy, pinned a returning high AA guy.  Hopefully we see him lean towards the latter as far as peak ability and not the former.

McCrone decked an obviously ailing Comacho (he went 0W-3L on the day...).  I don't think we should put much stock in that.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

but if he isn't winning against guys like Fishback then I think you keep in on Redshirt.

You don't think Fishback is good?

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I say pull the shirt, though.

I feel better about it than I did in Aug.

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I still hope it's Hepner that gets the eventual nod come B1Gs.

Word around, CBUS (FWIW) is that Hepner will be manning 65 soon.

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I am impressed with his progression. 

He just looks better all around.

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I think he is still adjusting to the weight a bit

Agreed. I like that he's busy on the mat.

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Bouzakis had a roller-coaster weekend.

Roller coaster season. Word is the cut is tough on him. He'll need to get that figured out soon. Dual season is upon us.

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think we should put much stock in that.

Agreed. He's still a boy wrestling some men. But...125 is an enigma.

Good stuff brother. Always appreciated...💪

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

You don't think Fishback is good? I think Fishback can be good.  Do I think he is AA right now?  Not without a good draw.  I would put him (Fishback) R12/R16 at best right now.  You don't pull the shirt for those points.  You let Hoffman and Shumate battle it out.

I feel better about it than I did in Aug. Same.  Especially with how Arnold is competing, too.  I see him and Welsh as basically 1A and 1B in that both are ready to compete right now.

Word around, CBUS (FWIW) is that Hepner will be manning 65 soon. Good.  Does this mean Wilcox to 174, if Welsh does indeed Redshirt?

He just looks better all around. I know and conventional wisdom would make you think it would be much the same.  I am curious what has changed.

Agreed. I like that he's busy on the mat. The guy is the epitome of a grinder and it doesn't get much better than that.

Roller coaster season. Word is the cut is tough on him. He'll need to get that figured out soon. Dual season is upon us. Roller coaster, but 13W - 5L on the season thus far is still a good result for a Frosh.

Agreed. He's still a boy wrestling some men. But...125 is an enigma. I kind of see him as a 'less good' Heinselman that is willing to take risks.  Heinselman had the skills, just no horse, and he wasn't willing to go for it like McCrone did on that Cradle.

Good stuff brother. Always appreciated...💪

Responses in underlined bold.

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Good.  Does this mean Wilcox to 174, if Welsh does indeed Redshirt?

Also heard mentioned 65 is a tough cut for Hepner. Maybe Wilcox stays and Hepner bumps...

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Roller coaster, but 13W - 5L on the season thus far is still a good result for a Frosh.

Of course, but if he's struggling to win two hours outta the box...He could be in trouble.

10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I kind of see him as a 'less good' Heinselman

He was one of my favorite Buckeyes. Just needed a bit more ass. Kilkeary has looked pretty good when I've watched.

12 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I would put him (Fishback) R12/R16

I've got him AA'ing. I'm fine with Rogotzke RS'ing. I can't see Hoffman or Shumate making much difference for the Buckeyes to be honest.