College wrestlers taking Olympic Redshirt

Shann

Who are the college athletes taking Olympic redshirts? I haven't seen Cohlton Shultz this year, but haven't heard about him redshirting. He makes the most sense to me, since he is probably the favorite to make the Olympic team and a year of folkstyle won't probably help him prepare for Greco.

43 minutes ago, Shann said:

Who are the college athletes taking Olympic redshirts? I haven't seen Cohlton Shultz this year, but haven't heard about him redshirting. He makes the most sense to me, since he is probably the favorite to make the Olympic team and a year of folkstyle won't probably help him prepare for Greco.

A Alirez No Colorado's defending NC is the biggest name - Connor  Flynn Va Tech was in ORS but they just pulled it and put him into the lineup.  B Amos of Wisconsin and Alex Facundo of PSU are ORS as well as C Realbuto of No Iowa (he is on the Italian Oly team) - Zeke Jones has stated that Colton Schultz is focusing on Greco during the early part of this season but that he will be competing in folkstyle for ASU this year.  those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

8 minutes ago, funnyfletcher said:

I think the Braunagel brothers are taking olympic shirts. Lucas Byrd is redshirting, but I'm not sure if it's an olympic RS or not

Byrd is on medical redshirt along with the following:

125: Jacob Houpt

141: Clay Carlson, Jesse Vazquez, Jordan Decatur, Anthony Glasl

149: Shayne Van Ness, Trae McDaniel, Jacob Butler

157: Sammy Sasso

165: Luka Wick, Nick Fea

174: Mickey O'Malley, Lance Runyon

Edited by flyingcement
  • Fire 4

3 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Byrd is on medical redshirt along with the following:

125: Jacob Houpt

141: Clay Carlson, Jesse Vazquez, Jordan Decatur, Anthony Glasl

149: Shayne Van Ness, Trae McDaniel, Jacob Butler

157: Sammy Sasso

165: Luka Wick, Nick Fea

174: Mickey O'Malley, Lance Runyon

Clay Carlson isn’t on a medical redshirt. He will be back soon. 

Clay Carlson isn’t on a medical redshirt. He will be back soon. 

Gus - at the risk of totally derailing this thread what are your thoughts on SDSU beyond this year? Carlson, Cook and Sloan are all in their last season. Devos and Jordan only one more year than that. The recruiting trail seems to have run relatively cold for a squad that looked like they’d be top-15 or so for quite a while? Berge and the Swensons will be pretty good, but I’m not sure they’ll ever be Sloan level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Gus - at the risk of totally derailing this thread what are your thoughts on SDSU beyond this year? Carlson, Cook and Sloan are all in their last season. Devos and Jordan only one more year than that. The recruiting trail seems to have run relatively cold for a squad that looked like they’d be top-15 or so for quite a while? Berge and the Swensons will be pretty good, but I’m not sure they’ll ever be Sloan level.

Cardinal is looking pretty good.  

• Fire 1

Cardinal is looking pretty good.  

He’s having a decent start to his season, but he only has two top 20ish wins again Farber and Zaccone, and has been tech’d/pinned by two true freshmen in Wells and Bouzakis.

I think he’s still a long ways away from being the level of contributor that Carlson, Devos and Sloan are. And that’s the kind of contributor SDSU needs to keep finding.

1 minute ago, poorwrestler said:

He’s having a decent start to his season, but he only has two top 20ish wins again Farber and Zaccone, and has been tech’d/pinned by two true freshmen in Wells and Bouzakis.

I think he’s still a long ways away from being the level of contributor that Carlson, Devos and Sloan are. And that’s the kind of contributor SDSU needs to keep finding.

His wins over Farber and Zaccone were dominant.  He lost to Bouzakis after a hard fought 6-3 loss to Orine.  And Bouzakis was on a tear on the backside at CKLV.  We both know that he avenged the loss to Wells.  

Carlson, Sloan and DeVos have all had a number of losses to lesser opponents than Orine, Bouzakis and Wells.

His wins over Farber and Zaccone were dominant.  He lost to Bouzakis after a hard fought 6-3 loss to Orine.  And Bouzakis was on a tear on the backside at CKLV.  We both know that he avenged the loss to Wells.  

Carlson, Sloan and DeVos have all had a number of losses to lesser opponents than Orine, Bouzakis and Wells.

He did avenge his loss to wells, but a win like the one he had is what you should expect against a true freshman. Just because he avenged it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. I’m talking about impact come tournament time. I don’t think Cardinal is AA level at this time, and I’ve watched a looot of Derrick Cardinal since his Forest lake days. Really good wrestler, but I don’t see that level.

Regardless though, my point of my original question was beyond Cardinal and more the team as a whole. How will they replace all those departures?

22 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

He did avenge his loss to wells, but a win like the one he had is what you should expect against a true freshman. Just because he avenged it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. I’m talking about impact come tournament time. I don’t think Cardinal is AA level at this time, and I’ve watched a looot of Derrick Cardinal since his Forest lake days. Really good wrestler, but I don’t see that level.

Regardless though, my point of my original question was beyond Cardinal and more the team as a whole. How will they replace all those departures?

We haven’t seen much of the young guys for the Jacks.  There are 3 freshmen at 125 that haven’t wrestled a match yet this year as well as 4x Montana state champion Avery Allen who is a 141/149.  

I think Colin Dupill (149) and Thomas Dineen (197) both redshirting this year could develop into solid wrestlers.  Rasmussen will be a tricky heavyweight as he gains strength and maturity.

I believe Martin and Swenson will move up a weight next year once Cook is done.

I am obviously more bullish on Cardinal than you are.  

Quin Morgan seems to be jumping levels to go along with Logan Swenson as recruits next year.

I agree that there isn’t a DeVos replacement in the pipeline at the moment unless Swenson would move up once DeVos graduates.

Edited by WrestlingFan89

1 hour ago, poorwrestler said:

That’s a great question and one that I have pondered a lot as well. Honestly, I have been a little disappointed with the recruiting the last two years. The HS wrestling in SD has been down quite a bit compared to years past which has not helped. The new facilities are up and running now so that should help. SDSU has done a great job developing lower or unranked guys into AA level wrestlers so I am hoping that trend continues. Berge’s freestyle success suggests that he could evolve into a threat. I have not seen any freshman or backups on the team that would suggest future AA. 

41 minutes ago, WrestlingFan89 said:

We haven’t seen much of the young guys for the Jacks.  There are 3 freshmen at 125 that haven’t wrestled a match yet this year as well as 4x Montana state champion Avery Allen who is a 141/149.  

I think Colin Dupill (149) and Thomas Dineen (197) both redshirting this year could develop into solid wrestlers.  Rasmussen will be a tricky heavyweight as he gains strength and maturity.

I believe Martin and Swenson will move up a weight next year once Cook is done.

I am obviously more bullish on Cardinal than you are.  

Quin Morgan seems to be jumping levels to go along with Logan Swenson as recruits next year.

I agree that there isn’t a DeVos replacement in the pipeline at the moment unless Swenson would move up once DeVos graduates.

Swenson showed well at Super 32. What’s the story with Quinn Morgan? I am not familiar with him. 

7 hours ago, Gus said:

Swenson showed well at Super 32. What’s the story with Quinn Morgan? I am not familiar with him. 

Quin is Marty Morgan’s youngest son.  He was 3rd at Minnesota state tournament 195AAA behind McEnelly and Rogotzke last season.  He had a nice FS/GR season last summer and is the top 215 pounder in Minnesota this year.

• Fire 1