OSU vs PITT

MPhillips

No. 7 Ohio State University VS No. 18 Pittsburgh

125-No. 22 Brendan McCrone (R-Fr) vs Colton Camacho (R-Sr.)
133-No. 12 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr.) vs No. 23 Vinnie Santaniello (R-Fr.)
141-No. 3 Jesse Mendez (So.) vs  No. 20 Cole Mathews (R-Sr.)
149-No. 5 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr.) vs  No. 19 Finn Solomon (R-Fr.)
157-No. 13 Paddy Gallagher (R-So.) vs Jared Keslar (R-Fr.)
165-No. 20 Isaac Wilcox (Sr.) vs No. 8 Holden Heller R-Sr.)
174-No. 9 Carson Kharchla (R-Sr.) vs  No. 19 Luca Augustine (R-So.)
184-No. 15 Gavin Hoff man (Gr.) vs  No. 20 Reece Heller (R-Sr.)
197-No. 22 Luke Geog (R-Fr.) vs  No. 17 Mac Stout R-Fr.)
HWT-No. 18 Nick Feldman (R-Fr.) vs No. 14 Dayton Pitzer (R-Fr.)
or Mike Misita (R-So.)/Hogan Swenski (R-So.)

(InterMat Rankings)

Looks like TR is gonna stick with Wilcox and Hoffman and Feldman may still be injured...

GO BUCKEYES

Edited by MPhillips
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, MPhillips said:

No. 7 Ohio State University VS No. 18 Pittsburgh

125-No. 22 Brendan McCrone (R-Fr) vs Colton Camacho (R-Sr.)
133-No. 12 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr.) vs No. 23 Vinnie Santaniello (R-Fr.)
141-No. 3 Jesse Mendez (So.) vs  No. 20 Cole Mathews (R-Sr.)
149-No. 5 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr.) vs  No. 19 Finn Solomon (R-Fr.)
157-No. 13 Paddy Gallagher (R-So.) vs Jared Keslar (R-Fr.)
165-No. 20 Isaac Wilcox (Sr.) vs No. 8 Holden Heller R-Sr.)
174-No. 9 Carson Kharchla (R-Sr.) vs  No. 19 Luca Augustine (R-So.)
184-No. 15 Gavin Hoff man (Gr.) vs  No. 20 Reece Heller (R-Sr.)
197-No. 22 Luke Geog (R-Fr.) vs  No. 17 Mac Stout R-Fr.)
HWT-No. 18 Nick Feldman (R-Fr.) vs No. 14 Dayton Pitzer (R-Fr.)
or Mike Misita (R-So.)/Hogan Swenski (R-So.)

(InterMat Rankings)

Looks like TR is gonna stick with Wilcox and Hoffman and Feldman may still be injured...

GO BUCKEYES

A few good matches there...

Bouzakis will have a chance to avenge an earlier loss to Santaniello.

Mendez at Matthews is a trap match for Mendez.  Matthews has been wrestling very off/down this year so far.  He is capable of winning the 141lb bracket at NCAAs, so don't let that 3W-3L record fool you.

I don't think 149 or 157 will be close, in favor of tOSU and I don't think 285 will be close, in favor of Pitt (unless Feldman wrestles).  That leaves seven matches that will be a grind on both sides.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Interesting that Wrestlestat has Pitzer over Feldman via 10-2 Major and Masita over Pitzer via 11-10 Decision.

Something is off on their projections right now.

Edited by nhs67

125 McCrone loses 14-9. Not enough horsepower or facial hair...
133 Bouzakis wins 5-2. Wrestled well.
141 Mendez loses 4-2. Gave an escape and a TD in about the last ten seconds...
149 D'Emilio comes back to win 13-11.
157 Paddy wins 17-3. One more point would have mattered.
165Wilcox loses 10-2.
174 And...Kharch is hurt. UGH!!! Gonna keep wrestling. On his way to a maj. Holds on to win 11-7.
184 Hoffman loses 11-2. I've seen about enough of his, 'Vision Quest' to be honest...
197 I've been waiting for Geog. Looks like I'm still waiting. Loses 7-1.
285 I believe Misita would have given the Buckeyes a better chance... Swenski loses 12-2.
And the Buckeyes lose the dual. 21-13 PITT wrestled well.

18 hours ago, MPhillips said:

125 McCrone loses 14-9. Not enough horsepower or facial hair...
133 Bouzakis wins 5-2. Wrestled well.
141 Mendez loses 4-2. Gave an escape and a TD in about the last ten seconds...
149 D'Emilio comes back to win 13-11.
157 Paddy wins 17-3. One more point would have mattered.
165Wilcox loses 10-2.
174 And...Kharch is hurt. UGH!!! Gonna keep wrestling. On his way to a maj. Holds on to win 11-7.
184 Hoffman loses 11-2. I've seen about enough of his, 'Vision Quest' to be honest...
197 I've been waiting for Geog. Looks like I'm still waiting. Loses 7-1.
285 I believe Misita would have given the Buckeyes a better chance... Swenski loses 12-2.
And the Buckeyes lose the dual. 21-13 PITT wrestled well.

McCrone looks just small for 125.  Heinselman, just not quite as good, skill-wise.

Bouzakis is good.  We doubted but he is a frosh.  He will take lumps being a physical 133lber at the D1 level.

Mendez... this wasn't Mendez wrestling down, it was Matthews wrestling to his actual ability.

D'Emilio had me worried.  I don't think 149 is a problem size-wise, I do think he is having some issue(s) adjusting to the weight still.  I think he could really surge end-of-year.

Paddy looks damn good.  Real good.

Wilcox shouldn't be our answer.  I am hoping Hepner is good (enough) to go soon.  I am wondering, long-term if Paddy at 165 and maybe Herman at 157 is a better option than Wilcox at 165?  Just a thought.  Or even give Chase a chance at 165?  Or Paddy up at Brown at 157?  Not sure, but I don't think it was more of Heller going out and winning as it was Wilcox also losing it.  Guy is a go-getter typically and we didn't see that here.

Kharch being hurt is a concern.  Is it too early to medical and let Welsh go?  I think Welsh could make some fun noise still.  Either way I think tOSU pulls A at 174 at this point.

Hoffman.  Damn.  What. The. Phuck.  Not sure what is going on here.  It is like he went back to the Hoffman that was at 184 and forgot about how much he has grown and learned.  Another case like WIlcox against a Heller twin.  Heller didn't go out and just win... Hoffman decided to let him get his ass kicked well and proper.

Geog is small.  He needs another year to get up to size, I think.  He has the moxy to succeed and when it all comes together I think he will be fine.

Pitzer was going to beat whoever (not named Feldman) that tOSU put out, so the dual was gone either way.  At this point, let Hoffman go 285 and put Shumate in at 184.

We knew that at least seven of those matches were going to be batshit tough.  I was wrong on 149 not being tough, unless you ignore the first four (4) minutes.  157 and 285 were not close, which was expected.  Pitt just came to dance.

• Fire 3

29 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Really wondering if Gonzalez down at 125 would be their best option.

I believe TR said he was just too big to get to 125. McCrone is what we have this season.

31 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

We knew that at least seven of those matches were going to be batshit tough.

Agreed with your take at 65. Wilcox just didn't perform like I expected him. Hepner lost the wrestle off before CKLV. Not sure how many chances he gets. Kharch and injury is always a concern. Hoffman was disappointing. Geog will get better. Not worried about 33, 41 or 49. 57 is still improving, but better. It's December, the boys are gonna take some lumps. I'm not too concerned right now.