ILLINOIS vs. PITT on Sunday

Pitt wrestled smart. Credit to them. The ILLINI missing Dylan Connell at 184 and Kannon Webster at 149. Big ups to Caden Ernd wrestling Reece Heller up from 165 to 184. He is a tough kid, and he worked his butt off for the team. Jake Harrier also did a great job filling in for Kannon Webster. Jake started for the ILLINI last year at 149 even though he was a 141-pounder. He is also very tough and almost beat a ranked Pitt kid. 

The big highlight for ILLINOIS was the Pucino upset. Cole Matthews got PUCINO'D! Edmond Ruth looked really good as well against a very good Luca Augustine, who has obviously worked on his body during the off-season. Joe Roberts got the only other ILLINI win, keeping him undefeated at 157. 

Nice arena. Nice call by the broadcast crew. Could've turned up the lights a wee. Stream only slowed down once. Good wrestling from Pitt even though I hate those guys. Time to cancel my YouTubeTV free trial. 

PUCINO'D.png

2 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Pitt wrestled smart. Credit to them. The ILLINI missing Dylan Connell at 184 and Kannon Webster at 149. Big ups to Caden Ernd wrestling Reece Heller up from 165 to 184. He is a tough kid, and he worked his butt off for the team. Jake Harrier also did a great job filling in for Kannon Webster. Jake started for the ILLINI last year at 149 even though he was a 141-pounder. He is also very tough and almost beat a ranked Pitt kid. 

The big highlight for ILLINOIS was the Pucino upset. Cole Matthews got PUCINO'D! Edmond Ruth looked really good as well against a very good Luca Augustine, who has obviously worked on his body during the off-season. Joe Roberts got the only other ILLINI win, keeping him undefeated at 157. 

Nice arena. Nice call by the broadcast crew. Could've turned up the lights a wee. Stream only slowed down once. Good wrestling from Pitt even though I hate those guys. Time to cancel my YouTubeTV free trial. 

PUCINO'D.png

I really enjoyed the Homer stall call with 1 sec remaining followed by the quick SV takedown.  

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

That was so bad it was funny. 

Well, not wearing my blue & gold glasses, but it was hardly egregious.  Essentially it is a guy sitting on a lead who already has one stall call doing nothing but blocking and backing.  I agree that refs don't always make that call at the end of the third period to extend the match, but Matthews was relentless with his shots, and got the call.  But, as the announcers pointed out, Matthews basically wore himself out doing so, and had no gas left in the tank for the SV period and lost, so no harm, no foul.  If that is the worst thing you guys saw then I'd say it was a well-officiated match (despite two reviews for locked hands calls that were missed but corrected in video reviews after each coach threw a brick).  

Mostly this was the ongoing pattern with Matthews, who tends to have these low-scoring, defensive matches, and sometimes gets burned, as he did today.  

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, lightweight said:

Well, not wearing my blue & gold glasses, but it was hardly egregious.  Essentially it is a guy sitting on a lead who already has one stall call doing nothing but blocking and backing.  I agree that refs don't always make that call at the end of the third period to extend the match, but Matthews was relentless with his shots, and got the call.  But, as the announcers pointed out, Matthews basically wore himself out doing so, and had no gas left in the tank for the SV period and lost, so no harm, no foul.  If that is the worst thing you guys saw then I'd say it was a well-officiated match (despite two reviews for locked hands calls that were missed but corrected in video reviews after each coach threw a brick).  

Mostly this was the ongoing pattern with Matthews, who tends to have these low-scoring, defensive matches, and sometimes gets burned, as he did today.  

Missing the pin was the worse call/no call the stall at 1s was just funny. 

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, lightweight said:

You got the win, at least let us have the whine. 

But yes, a stalling call with one second left to gift a point that allows the home wrestler to get to overtime is as egregious as it gets. Like I said, so egregious it was funny-egregious. 

Reminds me of the time Jesse Delgado beat Matt McDonough twice in one night at Carver. 

Well, I know better than to engage in this kind of nonsense, but you've baited me into it.

Egregious:  outstandingly bad; shocking.

It was a ref's judgment call.  It went against the Illinois wrestler who then won the match, so it is not like it decided anything. And I would say it was not even a bad call, let alone an outstandingly bad call.  

But feel free to have the last word if it is important to you.  

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, lightweight said:

Well, I know better than to engage in this kind of nonsense, but you've baited me into it.

It was a ref's judgment call.  It went against the Illinois wrestler who then won the match, so it is not like it decided anything. And I would say it was not even a bad call, let alone an outstandingly bad call.  

Thank you for your play-by-play in this thread. 

43 minutes ago, lightweight said:

Watch the replay of the pin again.  The ref was in perfect position to see the pin but instead he jumped to the otherwise where he couldn't see it.  Smart move by a Homer ref knowing that a pin is not reviewable but back points are.  This actalually delayed the start of his back point swipes.  He jumped back over to finish the swipes but the pin was gone, it disappeared into the night like one of Wkn's elusive pinfalls.  Yes, you could say it was outstanding😉

• Fire 1

21 hours ago, ionel said:

Watch the replay of the pin again.  The ref was in perfect position to see the pin but instead he jumped to the otherwise where he couldn't see it.  Smart move by a Homer ref knowing that a pin is not reviewable but back points are.  This actalually delayed the start of his back point swipes.  He jumped back over to finish the swipes but the pin was gone, it disappeared into the night like one of Wkn's elusive pinfalls.  Yes, you could say it was outstanding😉

I did a full recap of the dual at The ILLINI Wrestling Blog & Forum & Beyond that includes a video of the highlights. What you noticed is something I also found curious. It happens at :25 in the video:

My first thought was that the ref saw something he didn't want to see like a child walking in on Mom and Dad rolling on the couch, rolling numbers, rock and roll, they got my Kiss records out.

Are there other possible explanations? 

Maybe he wanted to make sure it wasn't a choke? Or, perhaps he thought by vacating the ABSOLUTE BEST PLACE IN THE GALAXY TO SEE THAT PIN he could find another vantage point that was even better?

I'm just asking questions.

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I did a full recap of the dual at The ILLINI Wrestling Blog & Forum & Beyond that includes a video of the highlights. What you noticed is something I also found curious. It happens at :25 in the video:

My first thought was that the ref saw something he didn't want to see like a child walking in on Mom and Dad rolling on the couch, rolling numbers, rock and roll, they got my Kiss records out.

Are there other possible explanations? 

Maybe he wanted to make sure it wasn't a choke? Or, perhaps he thought by vacating the ABSOLUTE BEST PLACE IN THE GALAXY TO SEE THAT PIN he could find another vantage point that was even better?

I'm just asking questions.

Yes this was a text book case straight out of Homer Ref'n 101.  If you don't want to make a call make sure you are in a position where you can't see the call.  Well played! 

• Fire 1